Page 1 of 5
This has been all over my Facebook feed today, and I've been hearing about it on the news as well.

I assume quite a few of you have heard of Duck Dynasty, and I'm sure some of you enjoy the show. I've only watched it once, and I didn't really see the appeal, but that's not the point.

Anyway, he basically said that he believes being gay is a sin, and he paraphrased the Bible saying that gays won't inherit the Kingdom of God and what not. Obviously people got upset about that.

There was also this:

"It seems like, to me, a vagina — as a man — would be more desirable than a man's anus, that's just me," the reality star said. "I'm just thinking: There's more there! She's got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I'm saying? But hey, sin: It's not logical, my man. It's just not logical."

Then he had this to say about blacks in the pre-Civil Rights era:

"Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I'm with the blacks, because we're white trash," he said. "They're singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues."

So basically, he didn't see it happening in his area so then it must not have been a big deal. That's how that statement comes off to me at least, though maybe that's not what he meant.

I personally disagree with him on the issue of homosexuality. A lot of people, fans of the show obviously, are upset with the decision made by A&E. I have no problem with their decision. They obviously see what he's said as something that brings negative attention to their business, and they've dealt with it accordingly. He has the right to say what he wants, but he also has to realize that there are potential consequences.

Anyway, here's an article about it:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-duck-dynasty-phil-robertson-gays-sin-black-people-civil-rights-20131218,0,4998406.story
I am so sick of seeing shit for that show plastered on absolutely everything at Walmart, it's also one of the dumbest shows I've ever seen.
The Bible does say that homosexuality is a sin so I can't argue with him there.

Though about slavery...that "good ol Southern boy" seems to be a little romantic.

Harsh that A&E took him off the air, but if A&E is upset by his comment than I can't argue with them.
He is entitled to his opinions as is A&E. People screaming about his first amendment rights don't understand the first amendment.
And he may well have been unaware of the plight of many blacks or the civil rights movement when he was growing up. His view was basically what he was able to see literally out of his back door. We did not have the internet many did not have TV all they had were their neighbors. Was a much smaller world for Mr. Robertson than what you guys take as the norm.
His only mistake was not understanding that when you make millions by being in the public eye is you don't wade into controversial subjects.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
He is entitled to his opinions as is A&E. People screaming about his first amendment rights don't understand the first amendment.

Exactly. That's the biggest problem I have with a lot of the people trying to defend him. They act like his right to free speech is being violated.

Quote by Jackal58

And he may well have been unaware of the plight of many blacks or the civil rights movement when he was growing up. His view was basically what he was able to see literally out of his back door. We did not have the internet many did not have TV all they had were their neighbors. Was a much smaller world for Mr. Robertson than what you guys take as the norm.

I understand that. I also accept the fact that it's 2013. Surely he's learned something about the issue since then, right?
Quote by Thrill-house
I am so sick of seeing shit for that show plastered on absolutely everything at Walmart, it's also one of the dumbest shows I've ever seen.

To be fair: Walmart shoppers are the first thing that come to mind when it comes to the people that watch this shit. They are perfect for each other.
Oh no Dready's own personal Jesus!
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by daytripper75
Exactly. That's the biggest problem I have with a lot of the people trying to defend him. They act like his right to free speech is being violated.

I understand that. I also accept the fact that it's 2013. Surely he's learned something about the issue since then, right?

Agreed! If someone worked in a public office and started throwing around comments like this of course they would get suspended or potentially fired. No company wants their image to be ruined by someone who has strong opinions on such a topic. Its called a moral code of conduct and A&E would like to show that they have a high standard for that code.
Is it wrong to be strong.... You decide.
Quote by lolmnt
Oh no Dready's own personal Jesus!

My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by daytripper75

I'm sure he has. However he answered the question in the same context it was asked. If I asked you what your perceptions of an issue were in 1958 I am not asking you what your perceptions of it today are. Those would be two separate questions with two very different answers.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Ponchibego
Agreed! If someone worked in a public office and started throwing around comments like this of course they would get suspended or potentially fired. No company wants their image to be ruined by someone who has strong opinions on such a topic. Its called a moral code of conduct and A&E would like to show that they have a high standard for that code.

Be careful dreadnought is here he's gunna call you judgmental and condescending
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by YeahKyuss
The Bible does say that homosexuality is a sin so I can't argue with him there.

Though about slavery...that "good ol Southern boy" seems to be a little romantic.

Harsh that A&E took him off the air, but if A&E is upset by his comment than I can't argue with them.

Well his arguments for all his comments were directly referenced to the Bible and the Bible says many times over that slavery is okay as long as you're not enslaving your fellow Israelite. That's an example of many why I personally think that the Church (and the current Pope has made a move towards this) needs to reevaluate the Bible and what is deemed relevant. The book is over 3000 years old and times have changed!
Is it wrong to be strong.... You decide.
eh, they weren't too bad. More ignorant than anything. Not malicious or hateful. Can definitely see why they suspended him though. They don't want that affiliated with them.

dumbness
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Dec 19, 2013,
Quote by lolmnt
Be careful dreadnought is here he's gunna call you judgmental and condescending

Aretha Franklin's not white.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by WCPhils
eh, they weren't too bad. More ignorant than anything. Not malicious or hateful. Can definitely see why they suspended him though. They don't want that affiliated with them.

Not too bad? Happy blacks singing songs of Jim Crow and equating homosexuality to bestiality isn't bad enough for you?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by Jackal58
Aretha Franklin's not white.

how about you give him some r-s-p-e-c-t
****ing white trash. Good Riddance. I hope him and Paula Dean rot in hell.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Last edited by snipelfritz at Dec 19, 2013,
Quote by Dreadnought
how about you give him some r-s-p-e-c-t

He's also made enough to buy a fucking vowel.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
He's also made enough to buy a fucking vowel.

Money is no object to Si
Quote by lolmnt
Not too bad? Happy blacks singing songs of Jim Crow and equating homosexuality to bestiality isn't bad enough for you?

oh fuuuuu, I didn't read the whole thing. Just the vagina/butthole thing I saw Sarah Palin yelling about

yikes

lol, equating it to bestiality. What a moron
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Dec 19, 2013,
I've never watched the show but my dad likes it and all these pics are pretty funny, what's so bad about it
sunbather is shit
It seems weird "suspending" a dude from a show he's in, that focuses around the family and business he created. However, I don't have much tolerance for ignorance towards homosexuality, get educated folks!
never knew what this was until people in the chat thread mentioned it yesterday, but okay that's good.
He has the right to speak his opinion. The company he works for has the right to fire him. Not sure if firing somebody for an opinion can be considered discrimination though.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
It's a shame we live in a world where people respond to differences of opinion with violence and rage.

I mean, this guy's comments are totally ignorant. However, he honestly believes homosexuality is unnatural, and he cannot wrap his head around the idea that any sane guy would choose another guy over a girl for sexual relations.

It's important to keep in mind that he's not insane, any more than the average person. Which means he came to hold his opinions based on (1) teaching, (2) experience. That's how everyone learns everything. You are going to fault some one because his teachers screwed him up? Because his personal life journey has not taken him anywhere to get the experience you take for granted?

I've had a lot of experiences that have opened my mind about life and lifestyles, but I know not everyone has traveled the world, has lived in San Francisco, etc. When you come upon some one who has a very skewed and close-minded view of life, the reaction should not be to blame the person, but to educate the person and to open their mind. To give them the gift of experiences that will, without force or violence, cause them to see the world differently and to open their mind voluntarily, from the inside.

Well, that's just a long-winded way of saying that I wish the responses from the LGBT community were more along the lines of what we might expect Gandhi or Buddha or some one like that to say. "We think it's a shame Mr. Duck Dynasty has not had the breadth of experience, or sufficient education, to eliminate the vast ignorance he has displayed and we hope in good time he gains such education and experience." Whatever, maybe that sucks, too. But, anyway, I think the angry rhetoric just sends the wrong message and does nothing to open anyone's mind.

It's not just Mr. Duck Dynasty who is the focus here, because this dialogue opened the door to talk, indirectly, to a lot of people who identify with him, with similar backgrounds, from the same part of the country, who likely hold similar beliefs. A more thoughtful, and dare I say "Christ-like," response might have touched some of those people. Instead, the LGBT community is coming off kind of like gay-bashers, like I get the feeling they want to tie Duck Dynasty man to the back of a truck and drag him around, the way homophobes have done to gays. That is the exact wrong approach to take, IMO.

Ken
Bernie Sanders for President!
Quote by WCPhils
oh fuuuuu, I didn't read the whole thing. Just the vagina/butthole thing I saw Sarah Palin yelling about

yikes

lol, equating it to bestiality. What a moron

The craziest part is that it wasn't some leaked video or something like that. He was actively talking to a reporter. And the reporter wasn't like undercover. He actively knew.

So why would you say that shit to a reporter? I mean, he's talking to reporters all the time. You'd think the network would be like "hey, don't talk about race, sexuality, gender roles, etc. If they ask just say 'I'm happy to be alive in 2013. We're all God's children. Guns!'"

I mean, I respect everybody's right to be a dumb ass piece of human garbage and all that shit.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by lolmnt
The craziest part is that it wasn't some leaked video or something like that. He was actively talking to a reporter. And the reporter wasn't like undercover. He actively knew.

So why would you say that shit to a reporter? I mean, he's talking to reporters all the time. You'd think the network would be like "hey, don't talk about race, sexuality, gender roles, etc. If they ask just say 'I'm happy to be alive in 2013. We're all God's children. Guns!'"

They probably did. Probably why he was suspended.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Si and Jase (jace?) are the best characters in that show for sure
Quote by lolmnt

Yea, it's weird. You'd think after marketing themselves to people for so long they'd have some common sense about what they can and can't say.
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by WCPhils
Yea, it's weird. You'd think after marketing themselves to people for so long they'd have some common sense about what they can and can't say.

The show is all about appealing to the base. I mean, we know it's all but scripted (and actually it's pretty scripted). Maybe he thought this would appeal to their viewers, but he forgot about everybody else? Or misinterpreted his viewers.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by Jackal58
They probably did. Probably why he was suspended.

Covering their butts too. If this hadn't become national there's no way he's suspended.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

What's always surprised me is how much rednecks actually like this show. I always assumed it was something soccer moms would watch with their kids to remind themselves how stupid rednecks are.
Page 1 of 5