Hey guys,

When I listen to my tracks, I can't help but think they couldn't even be on the same album because I find that they're too different of each other. It's almost like they're a different genre.

So that brings me to the question, how different should your tracks be of one another in order to be on the same album?

If you must listen to them, here's a soundcloud link. It's electronic music, but my new songs will all have guitar in them.

https://soundcloud.com/ghos7official
Last edited by PatFuzz at Dec 19, 2013,
It never seemed to bother Queen
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
That's up to you. Personally, i enjoy diversity.

I've written stuff that i intend on having on the same EP that are entirely different stuff, from having a jazz ballad to an upbeat funk track to a more reagge style song.

Just as an example, Dream Theater have a album called "Scenes from a memory". Give the songs "Dance of Eternity" and "The Spirit Carries On" a listen from that record, they couldn't be more different in style, but still they fit the album. I think it has more to do with the sound of the album rather than the sound of the songs, you want a common "sound", if you know what i mean. Not a common style like rock or something, but more the mix of the whole album.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
As long as you're not shooting for a concept album or something like that, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
I like the stuff a lot, good productions, too. What DAW do you use? I've been trying to figure out Reaper, to do progressive trance type stuff -- white noise sweeps, rising pitch, etc. -- but I don't know how. I have little or no music production know-how, so I just make do with different synths. My stuff is "electronica" in that I do not have enough production know-how (yet) to add builds/breaks or stuff to make it something more specific, like, say, progressive trance.

https://soundcloud.com/kenmyers-1

As for your stuff, whether you know it or not, I think you've got a signature sound. I think everyone does, we all create music through our own personal filter.

Ken
Bernie Sanders for President!
Thats good stuff man in fact i got inspired to make some vocals for one of em.

im glad to know im not the only guitar player that likes electronic music and flirts with it.
Variety's great to have. Otherwise every other song sounds more or less like the one before it and you can't remember which song is which. Nothing wrong with diversity.
Mixing/mastering the tracks similarly can do a lot to help unify them. When the songs sound like they're from completely different recording and mixing sessions it tends to emphasize the stylistic differences. Most albums are pretty uniform in their sonic signature if you will, so even though the style or tempo or instrumentation may change drastically it still meshes together well.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
listened to your tunes. didn't think they were too far off from each other at all.

definitely would work on an album together. good job!
2005 PRS McCarty (20th Anniversary Edition)
Custom 67' Tele w/Bigsby
Gibson Les Paul Double Cut Standard
Larivee Acoustic
Fractal Audio Axe Fx II
Apogee Ensemble
Yamaha HS80s
If you use Reaper, I still want to know how you make sweeps & rising pitches and stuff like that. And what VSTi's you use, like for drums. Got some nice sounds going on.

About my one hang up is....is it just me, or is your second song (from the top) have like a 2 minute intro for a 4 minute song? Is, like, really long intros your thing?

Ken
I'm using FL studio. There's a lot of videos and tutorials on how to do those things on Youtube. But I know from experience that FL is better than Reaper because I used to work with Reaper to record.

To record actual instruments, Reaper isn't bad, but if I was to make electronic stuff, I'd use something like FL, Logic Pro or Cubase.
Ken, yes I like long intros. Long tracks in general actually, because they're more immersive, you get to display more emotion.

Let's say you walk to the cafeteria to get a coffee. Takes you 1 minute. Big deal.

Now, let's say you walk to the cafeteria to get a coffee, across the country. Takes you 1 year. Epic adventure. At the end, you even think of how you were a different person at the beginning. This walk changed you as a person. Now, that's a good walk... Erm... Song.

But the one you're talking about, Dementia, is actually supposed to be around 12 minutes. Still working on the damn thing. I have producer's block.
Quote by Dead_Pleasures
Thats good stuff man in fact i got inspired to make some vocals for one of em.

im glad to know im not the only guitar player that likes electronic music and flirts with it.

If you make vocals for any of them, by all means, send them to me @ Patmusic@live.ca! It would be awesome to hear. I'll add them and give you the credz.
Last edited by PatFuzz at Dec 20, 2013,
Quote by krm27
If you use Reaper, I still want to know how you make sweeps & rising pitches and stuff like that. And what VSTi's you use, like for drums. Got some nice sounds going on.

About my one hang up is....is it just me, or is your second song (from the top) have like a 2 minute intro for a 4 minute song? Is, like, really long intros your thing?

Ken

Drums are mostly samples with added effects. I never use MIDI alone, it's all VSTs like Massive, Harmor or Battery. They're pretty complicated, but once you know what each knob does, they're REALLY good.
Quote by PatFuzz
Hey guys,

When I listen to my tracks, I can't help but think they couldn't even be on the same album because I find that they're too different of each other. It's almost like they're a different genre.

So that brings me to the question, how different should your tracks be of one another in order to be on the same album?

If you must listen to them, here's a soundcloud link. It's electronic music, but my new songs will all have guitar in them.

https://soundcloud.com/ghos7official

Variety is the spice of life my friend. Unless you really want to create a significantly unique sound to stand out from the crowd then I'd suggest continuing on as you're doing if you enjoy it.

Showing off that you can create different styles and genres showcases your talent. Just take a look at early Incubus. Their albums had huge diversity in them.
Led Zeppelin had a lot of tracks that sound different. But didn't seem to be an issue to them. Personally, I don't see why so many artists today have to be pinned down to one specific style or genre. It makes it more fun if there's more variety.
While it's true that a lot of artists like LZ, The Beatles and Queen have diverse albums, imagine if one of their songs were a country song, and another one was opera. (Bohemian Rhapsody isn't far off actually)

I think there's still a limit. I personally like all those genres, but I think some people would be pushed away by one and pulled in by another. For this reason, I think it would be wise to seperate different genres from each other by album, and possibly even by project altogether.

Any thoughts?
Quote by PatFuzz
While it's true that a lot of artists like LZ, The Beatles and Queen have diverse albums, imagine if one of their songs were a country song, and another one was opera. (Bohemian Rhapsody isn't far off actually)

I think there's still a limit. I personally like all those genres, but I think some people would be pushed away by one and pulled in by another. For this reason, I think it would be wise to seperate different genres from each other by album, and possibly even by project altogether.

Any thoughts?

Well, I don't know honestly. I make music in many genres, but you could probably still tell that they have something in common and are made by the same guy. It's hard to explain, but it's likely that if they are made by the same guy, you will like them even if they are different genres. That's how I see it.
The instrumentation and the production can tie diverse arrangements together quite well. As an example your guitar tone and your drums will generally sound the same across all the material, unless you go out of your way to dial in different settings to fit the different genres...which I really wouldn't recommend.
Hmmm Based on your comments, I may just have to try out FL Studio. I do search YouTube regularly for videos on how to do stuff like white noise sweeps or builds or whatever in Reaper, and 99% of the time, the videos that come up are FL Studio. Well, sometimes there's some other DAWs like Ableton, but not Reaper.

And I have been using all MIDI for my songs on SoundCloud, which may be why some say they sound more like video game music, thin. I actually just created them as a way of seeing if my harmonic ideas worked -- chords, melody, verse, chorus, bridge, etc. -- and the plan was to then work out beats I liked and do live recording of me playing guitar and bass, since I originally conceived of them as rock or alt rock songs. But then I kind of got hooked with the ease of MIDI programming, the ability to try out different drum patterns, synth sounds, bass lines, etc. I just need to get better at it.

Ken
Quote by PatFuzz

Any thoughts?

your songs are not different genres though. they all sounded like the same genre to me, i still don't know what it is that's making you think they sound too different. they all sounded like they were from the same person too, i really don't see the problem.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
your songs are not different genres though. they all sounded like the same genre to me, i still don't know what it is that's making you think they sound too different. they all sounded like they were from the same person too, i really don't see the problem.

Yeah, that's what I thought as well. They are all electronic and use similar sounds. I don't see any problem whatsoever. My SoundCloud top 5 on other other hand.... XD
Disclaimer: I didn't listen to anything.

Even so, I think he has a point. Let me throw together a diverse playlist in iTunes that I could burn to a CD.

1. Hell Awaits -- Slayer
2. Fanfare for the Common Man -- Aaron Copland
3. Cinnamon Girl -- Neil Young
4. Eine Kleine Nachtmusik -- Mozart
5. Township Rebellion -- Rage (yes, as in Against the Machine)
6. Jeremy -- Pearl Jam
7. Hot in Here -- Nelly
8. Demon of the Fall -- Opeth
9. Losing My Religion -- REM
10. I'd Do Anything -- Simple Plan
11. The Thrill Is Gone -- BB King
12. I Want It That Way -- Backstreet Boys
13. Breakfast In America -- Supertramp
14. Sea of Lies -- Symphony X
15. Say My Name -- Destiny's Child
16. Moonlight Sonata -- Beethoven
17. Mr. Scary -- Dokken

Note 1: I cannot explain why all of these are on my computer.
Note 2: Assume standard arrangements for the classical pieces.
Note 3: I absolutely love following Mozart with Rage.

That's not a weird album? Someone drawn to it for the metal is unlikely to want Destiny's Child and the Backstreet Boys on there. Someone who wants the classical music would probably skip tracks 1, 5, 7, 8, 10, 14, and 17, if not more.

Now imagine if I went through my parents' CDs and found Wagner operas, and if I searched through my sisters' collection and found country music.

Didn't this happen to Extreme? I think I remember something about people buying their album for More Than Words, only to discover that Extreme is funk and hair band music.
TS when we start writing songs they all sound so special and unique when they're actually not.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud