Hi, I have an enquiry that I though some of you could help me with.

I will be doing a few gigs in the near future where I won't be using my own backline and I can't realistically expect to get a good high-gain amp supplied every time. Thus I decided to invest in a distortion pedal so I could carry the sound I need with me and made the choice of the Boss DS-1. And sure, it works for what I'm doing. Maybe not the best tone I've had and I would want more gain from it, but as a lifeline - I'm happy. Affordable and dependable.

Now that I'm not in the immediate danger of realising that I have been supplied with a Fender-amp that can't do the kind of distortion I need, I would like to explore the possibility of adding another pedal for the sake of options.

So - I'm looking for a pedal that can do metal distortion on the clean channel on pretty much any common amplifier. I have an Engl Screamer in our rehearsal space and if possible I'd like to get a sound in that ballpark.

Any suggestions appreciated. Been looking at different MXR's like the Distortion +, but I don't think that one is going to have enough gain.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Hardwire TL-2 if a new amp isn't an option
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
What kind of music do you play? *edit* Oh, you did mention metal. Sorry, missed that line.

Suhr Riot or Amptweaker Tightmetal maybe? Out of these I have experience with Riot in a form of Joyo's clone US Dream and its a great pedal. Enough gain for most high gain music, even metal except the absolute meanest kind. Suhr recently released Riot Reloaded for that stuff though.

If you play metal Tightmetal is said to be Ampeg VH140c preamp in a box, which is one of the better solid state metal amps around. Personally I have no experience with it but Youtube has several vids and it definetly sounds awesome. Far from the angry can of bees/belt grinder Metal Zone-style pedals are known for.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Dec 19, 2013,
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
Hardwire TL-2 if a new amp isn't an option

Please note that I do own an amp that is quite satisfactory, but I won't be using my own backline for these gigs.

I play in a 70's and 80's inspired hard-rock/progressive rock band that takes influences from Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden, to name a few.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
I know it might be a little pricey, but i love the Walrus Audio Iron Horse. Another great pedal for heavier rock that I like are some of the blackstar pedals.
Engl tone? Amt E-drive
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
yeah the joyo suhr riot clone is pretty nice, i think it's designed for a clean channel, too. if you can stretch to the suhr version, it might be worth a shot.

from the sounds of it you're not playing that heavy stuff- a crunchbox might be enough. there's that new supercrunchbox which looks quite nice, but i haven't tried it (i've got the joyo crunchbox clone, too ).

and yeah i haven't tried the distortion + but from what i hear it's more of an OD than a distortion.

a rat might also be worth a try- the filter control is very wide-ranging which means it sounds good with both bright and dark amps. that might actually be a handy one to have as a real get-out-of-jail type thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There are so damned many distortion boxes on the market that it is nearly impossible to recommend just one. If you are looking for the heavy stuff, take a look at Blackstar's HT-DISTX. And if you have the cash, Wampler makes some really cool ones - The SLOstortion, the Pinnacle and the Triple Wreck.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by monwobobbo
EH Metal Muff for what you want sound wise. why can't you use your own amp?

I agree I test drove every pedal in GC and the EH metal muff was the winner by far because it seemed a lot more musical than the others