Poll: Vote
Poll Options
View poll results: Vote
Stanley Kubrick (2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, Dr. Strangelove, etc.)
17 17%
Martin Scorsese (Goodfellas, Raging Bull, The Departed, etc.)
9 9%
Coen Brothers (Fargo, No Country For Old Men, O Brother Where Art Thou?, etc.)
13 13%
Steven Spielberg (Jaws, ET, etc.)
3 3%
Quentin Tarantino (Pulp Fiction, Inglorious Basterds, Django Unchained, etc.)
19 19%
Darren Aronofsky (Black Swan, Pi, Requiem For A Dream, etc.)
3 3%
Christopher Nolan (Batman Trilogy, Inception, etc.)
11 11%
Peter Jackson (LOTR trilogy, King Kong, etc.)
6 6%
George Lucas (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, etc.)
1 1%
Other
16 16%
Voters: 98.
Page 1 of 2
Who makes your favorite movies? Including a poll of some of the most famous ones.

Anyways, I do not consider myself a big movie buff, and I only go to the movies maybe twice a year, but I love just about everything I've seen by the Coen Brothers (favorites are Fargo, Raising Arizona and No Country For Old Men). There's something about the aesthetic, themes and style of their movies that really speak to me.

I like Scorsese, too, but in more of a "f*ck yeah!" sort of way, I don't really feel as much of an emotional connection to his stuff as I do the Coen Bros.
Refn
Coen brothers
early Tarantino

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Honestly, probably Miyazaki. He's definitely the one I most consistently love.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
MICHAEL BAY

BOOM MOTHER****ERS

dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Bob_Sacamano
Honestly, probably Miyazaki. He's definitely the one I most consistently love.

Cartoons aren't considered real movies
Coen Bros
Yasujiro Ozu
Akira Kurosawa
Alfred Hitchcock
Quentin Tarantino

TOP FIVE **** THE REST
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
NVM I forgot that Peter Jackson is the GOAT director #lore #fantasy #virginity
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by genghisgandhi
you probably said this as a joke but that's the truth.

Not even joking
Nolan
Aronofsky
Cuaron
Scorsee (even though I've only seen two of his films)

That isn't in any order
Of that list I have to pick Spielberg.

I'd have to say Miyazaki is my favorite director, though. Almost every film he's ever made is gold.
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Dec 19, 2013,
Ozu for his framing and use of space
Coen Brothers for auteur theory
Kubrick for the technical aspects.
I love Kurosawa's staging and story telling, especially in High and Low.
Jean-Pierre Melville
Wes Anderson's use of color. Also the story book world he creates.
Lynch/Jodorowsky for surrealism.
Malick cuz nature.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Watching kill bill vol2 atm
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Richard Linklater and David Fincher.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Sorry it's in shit quality but it's the only one I could find...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeSUuj98Rx0
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
Scorsese
Tarantino
Aronofsky
Spielberg
Christopher Nolan
David Fincher
Mel Brooks
David Russell
Ridley Scott
James Cameron
Miyazaki
Sail upon the open skies
Any answer that is not the Coen brothers is wrong.

This poll is lacking though; Wells, PTA, Lynch, Ford, Huston, Eastwood, Malick, Refn, Mann, Jarmusch? and on, and on.
"Pain or damage don't end the world nor despair, nor fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you have more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
Coen Brothers
Miyazaki
Tarantino
Hitchcock
Wes Anderson
Spielberg
Edgar Wright

That seems like a good order

Brad Bird, Martin Scorcese, David Russel, Nolan, and Brooks are all great too.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Dec 19, 2013,
Scorsese because of Taxi Driver and Raging Bull...

Stanley Kubrick because of 2001: A Space Odyssey...

Kenneth Branagh because of MacBeth and Frankenstein...
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
Right now it's probably Refn who's at the top, he pretty much guides what I do. PTA is definitely there cuz of TWBB, he and Tsai Ming-liang (who I've only seen one film from) are constantly in my head nowadays. Paradjanov is like, coloring my life, maaaan. There's a Palestinian director called Hany Abu Assad, I'm really glad he exists. Spike Lee, kind of. And Chaplin too, kind of.
Quote by Toadvine
Any answer that is not the Coen brothers is wrong.

This poll is lacking though; Wells, PTA, Lynch, Ford, Huston, Eastwood, Malick, Refn, Mann, Jarmusch? and on, and on.

Then how can the poll be lacking?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Kurosawa, Dardenne Bros are my faves.
Nolan is probably the best blockbuster 'AAA' title director.

I don't get why a bunch of people have brought up Refn. He hasn't been good since 2005 and feeds off the edginess of neckbeards. (Yes, I'm aware that sounds hypocritical after naming Nolan, who does the same thing)

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
Quote by genghisgandhi
you probably said this as a joke but that's the truth.

It's funny bc you're actually serious
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by ozzyismetal
I don't get why a bunch of people have brought up Refn. He hasn't been good since 2005 and feeds off the edginess of neckbeards. (Yes, I'm aware that sounds hypocritical after naming Nolan, who does the same thing)

I don't see how either feed off the edginess of neckbeards, but then again, it's been a while since I've shaved.

Refn is a genuine joy for me to watch. Not just for the genre stuff, not just for his aesthetic, and not because he's a "**** you" type (I'm not sure he is, probably a sweetheart); much like Nolan, he sticks to the important stuff. That's really it. His films tend to be more filmic than a lot of other films.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I don't see how either feed off the edginess of neckbeards, but then again, it's been a while since I've shaved.

Refn is a genuine joy for me to watch. Not just for the genre stuff, not just for his aesthetic, and not because he's a "**** you" type (I'm not sure he is, probably a sweetheart); much like Nolan, he sticks to the important stuff. That's really it. His films tend to be more filmic than a lot of other films.
I like Refn cuz he uses silence better than most modern directors. He isn't afraid of it and doesn't feel the need to tell you everything. He lets things happen.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by ozzyismetal

This statement is so ugh.

Anyways, I like Refn. I'd probably put him up with my favorites even though there's only one film of his that I love (and I really love it) (I like everything I've seen by him though, and stylistically he's definitely near the top). I'd definitely put Wes Anderson up there. I'm poorly versed in the Coens but I like everything I've seen by them. Christopher Nolan is such a cliche answer, but I genuinely love multiple films of his; same deal with David Fincher. Richard Linklater actually might be like my second-favorite director, since I'd classify Dazed & Confused and the Before trilogy as films that I love (maybe School of Rock too). I think my favorite director is Shane Carruth, who hasn't been mentioned yet. Let's see, who else? I've only seen two Noah Baumbach films but loved them both. Maybe Edgar Wright, since Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is my all-time favorite movie and I like Shaun of the Dead and The World's End. Jordan Vogt-Roberts has only directed one movie but I love it, same with Charlie Kaufman, same with Drew Goddard, so those guys are all batting a thousand in my book. Oh, and personally, I think Tim Burton's great.
Quote by lolmnt
Ozu for his framing and use of space
Coen Brothers for auteur theory
Kubrick for the technical aspects.
I love Kurosawa's staging and story telling, especially in High and Low.
Jean-Pierre Melville
Wes Anderson's use of color. Also the story book world he creates.
Lynch/Jodorowsky for surrealism.
Malick cuz nature.

It's amazing how the best post ITT makes me roll my eyes the most.
Page 1 of 2