Hey all,
I'm going to be purchasing a new Ibanez for christmas, but I can't decide which one! I am stuck between a Premium RG950qm
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-premium-rg950qm-electric-guitar
and the Prestige S5470q
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-s5470q-prestige-electric-guitar

The price difference between the two is a non issue. They would be running through a Blackstar HT-5 with a turbo tubescreamer and ISP decimator. Unfortunately, a pickup swap would not be possible regardless of which one I get.

I'll be using this guitar for shred and jrock. Think Demetori, IOSYS(with Minami), Fripside, Scandal and Versailles. A lot of Touhou rearranges honestly. I care more about how it handles distortion than the cleans, I have a strat and schecter for that. I love the sound of Schecter Exceed's with the Super Rock IIs, which I think are fairly similar to the highest output Tom Anderson pickups, so whatevers closest to that would be good.

I played the Saber once a year or two ago and remember enjoying it, but there are none in store around me to try now. I hit up guitar center earlier today, and tried out a 950 and loved it, the feel of the neck was amazing, the cleans were good and it seemed to handle gain well - though the only amp available was some SS crap so I'm a bit skeptical still, but I'm worried about buying a non prestige and then wanting to upgrade in the future. Theres also very few videos of the Saber being played for anything besides cleans or metal.

Some things I would really like to have are:
-High output passive pickups, I honestly enjoyed the INF pickups, not because they sounded sterile, but just because that output was so much fun.
-Low Action, probably possible on either with a decent setup.
-powerful harmonics, its mostly technique, but I definitely find i can produce much better harmonics on my RG350dx with stock pups than on my Schecter blackjack with a JB in the bridge.
-24 fret, both have that
-A comfortable neck, I loved the Wizard on my 350, and found the premium wizard very comfortable as well, I tried an Rg2550z and hated it, but it was in such poor condition that I'm not completely sure about whether the neck had anything to do with my distaste for it.
-HSH
-I really don't want a Schecter by a different name. I love my Blackjack, but I'm looking for something with more bite and output than it has.
-Tuning Stability- the entire reason I'm upgrading from the 350dx, the EDGE III was painful.

For reference. I already have: American Strat, Schecter Blackjack w/ 59/JB, SG Prophecy w/ EMG, Ibanez RG350dx, and plan on replacing the RG with whatever I get.
2013 Ibanez Jem 7vwh
Lakewood Sungha Jung Signature
Fender Custom Shop Stratocaster
LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
MIA Fender Strat VG + MiJ Mustang
Martin D1 +Tayor 210e
Kremona Rondo TL Classical
Gretsch G5120
Forget Ibanez, they're junk...at least anything that's made in their Indonesian plant. I tried ordering an RGA42E FOUR damn times and I got FOUR defective guitars each time. A couple others had weird stuff on the supposedly brand new guitars.

Oops, I see a prestige up there. If you must have Crapanez, then a Japanese made on is the only one to bother with.
Ignore what mechanik wrote, he's clearly very subjective.

Since you seem to have decided for Ibanez already, I'm not going to talk about other manufacturers.

I've had great experiences with both japanese and indonesian made Ibanez guitars. As you can see in my signature, I'm currently playing an Saber myself. I've tried an Ibanez RG827QMZ before (7 string, HH, basswood body, CAP-VM pickups, FR-Bridge). Though the latter one was about 200€ more expensive and a premium series, I love my S570 far more. This is why:

First, the feel. I like the feel of the slim Saber far better than the edged RG-Series. On the other side, I know people who hate the Sabers because to them they're too light and slim and they're used to the RGs. For me buying a guitar is mostly about the feel. If it feels wrong but sounds great, put it away. You can always change pickups, tweak EQs etc.

Second: The sound. The Saber has a mahogany body and a quilted maple top, which boosts the treble. You can say though it might lack a little bit in the lows, but that's nothing I can't cope with on my S570 because I'm a lead player mostly. However, I still love my rhythm sound. The RG on the other hand as a basswood body. Needless to say it's going to have a heaviers sound with little less treble and more midds and lows.

Personally I'd pick a Saber anytime. Mostly because I like their feel and due to my sound preference. HOWEVER: If you can, try both of them. Not primarily for sound, but for feel. Take whichever feels better.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
^ r u sure that's right? I thought mahogany body would be way bassier
My Electric Guitars:
Ibanez GSA60
Ibanez RG3EXFM1
Peavey Raptor Plus
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Squire Telecaster Affinity (Has many famous musicians signatures so only played once)
Thanks for the saber review. Unfortunately, getting my hands on one is proving rather difficult, so after trying out a friend's guitar, I'm starting to lean towards a JEM7v. They're just far more available, and I feel like it would be pretty comfortable coming from the RG.
Any idea on why they all seem to lose a grand or so on resale/ any opinions on them?
The one thing I am a bit worried is that it might lack a low end since they're made of alder..
2013 Ibanez Jem 7vwh
Lakewood Sungha Jung Signature
Fender Custom Shop Stratocaster
LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
MIA Fender Strat VG + MiJ Mustang
Martin D1 +Tayor 210e
Kremona Rondo TL Classical
Gretsch G5120
The Jem 7V his a very tight, responsive sound. It won't lack any low end if EQ'd properly. I would definitely go for the Prestige S series over the Premium RG - there is a huge difference in quality between the Prestige and Premium lines.

I would also, however, go for the Jem over the S series. I can't comment on the resale value of the guitar, but I can say that it is the best feeling guitar I've ever played. I tested it through a Mesa Dual Rec and there was certainly no lack of bottom end.
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
Quote by shounakghosh7
^ r u sure that's right? I thought mahogany body would be way bassier

Yup. Pretty sure. At least that's what my ear told me.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
Quote by Dragonfyre137
Yup. Pretty sure. At least that's what my ear told me.

Dragonfyre is right. The maple top adds a great treble response to the guitar.
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
if the price difference is a non-issue i'd go with the prestige

i say that having not tried the premiums, but yeah. the prestiges are MIJ, the premiums aren't. the premiums also often have cheaper trems as well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?