Page 1 of 2
Ok so I thought id get on here to get some opinions..im getting a new guitar soon and cant decide between either a strat or a tele...I love how both sound but I cant afford both..im looking to spend about 600-750 at the max and want to be able to do a broad range of music style. I play stuff some days like country (older stuff not too much new) like diamond rio, alan Jackson, hank jr..other days its eagles, doobie brothers, Clapton so which should I get??? also what pick up setup in each like HH, HSH etc
tele is most associated with country and of course single coils. I'm a strat guy myself but if you want the country sound then tele I the best bet. if you want to play blues then the strat gets the upper hand and of course can get a decent country sound. play both and get the one that speaks to you the most
Quote by Alvarez2005
Ok so I thought id get on here to get some opinions..im getting a new guitar soon and cant decide between either a strat or a tele...I love how both sound but I cant afford both..im looking to spend about 600-750 at the max and want to be able to do a broad range of music style. I play stuff some days like country (older stuff not too much new) like diamond rio, alan Jackson, hank jr..other days its eagles, doobie brothers, Clapton so which should I get??? also what pick up setup in each like HH, HSH etc

Hmmmmmm...the stratocaster is SSS (neck, middle, bridge) the telecaster is SS (neck and bridge).

The stratocaster has a five way switch (neck, neck-middle, middle, middle-bridge, bridge) The stratocaster has one volume and two tone controls. The volume controls the volume of all three pick ups and the tone controls work by one controlling the first two switch positions (neck, neck middle) and the second controlling the last three switch positions (middle, middle-bridge, bridge).

The telecaster has a three way switch (neck, neck-bridge, bridge). The telecaster has a volume controlling both pickups and one tone controlling all three switch positions.

Both are very versatile in sound range. With that price range you can get a used Made in America Standard for either the Stratocaster or Telecaster. I would only get the made in America as the Made in Mexicos tend not to be made very good.

Traditionally (this is a tradition so it may not be accurate in all cases) Stratocaster has been used in Blues and Rock Music with the telecaster used in Blues and Country Music but some rockers like John 5 use a telecaster to make their sound.

Does this help?
I feel your pain: tight budget and two different desires. Either would make you happy to own it, but also wondering about the other.

I would suggest a third path, trying something somewhere between the two. A hybrid. Reverend makes such guitars.

These are both new and out of your price range, but can be found used on occasion:

Pete Anderson Eastsider
http://reverb.com/item/45220-reverend-pete-anderson-eastsider-s-black-free-shipping

Six Gun LE
http://www.diffusion-audio.com/xcart/Reverend-Six-Gun-LE.html

A used Pete Anderson might be affordable, though
http://reverb.com/item/49352-reverend-pete-anderson-eastsider-east-satin-tobacco-burst?utm_medium=GPLA&utm_source=SEM&gclid=CN3WpYjnvbsCFSvl7AodAxYAaA

The Sixgun II is almost identical to the Six Gun LE, except for mainly cosmetic details, and can be found in your price range.

http://www.indoorstorm.com/Reverend_Sixgun_Chronic_Blue-p-53444.html
http://www.billywraymusicshop.com/electric-guitar/reverend-six-gun-cb/
http://www.prymaxevintage.com/reverend-guitars-six-gun-party-red/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 19, 2013,
Quote by Alvarez2005

Pfft, 750 is enough to get a good strat AND tele.

Look at used G&Ls. They're between 250 and 350. You can get a used ASAT and a used Legacy Tribute. I got a Tokai strat for 350. You can get Tokai and Greco strats for around that price. Fernandes makes MIJ teles that sell around this price used.

Hell, if you want to go the Fender route, try out MIM strats and teles until you find a strat and a tele you love.

Why choose? I like both strats and teles. They're both awesome.
Thanks for the replies so far but as far as pickups I understand what comes in most of em but some you can get in a HSS setup..would doing that versus an ss or sss setup give me more range???
Quote by samuraigoomba

Look at used G&Ls. They're between 250 and 350. You can get a used ASAT and a used Legacy Tribute. I got a Tokai strat for 350. You can get Tokai and Greco strats for around that price. Fernandes makes MIJ teles that sell around this price used.

Hell, if you want to go the Fender route, try out MIM strats and teles until you find a strat and a tele you love.

Hell yes !! .... get em both
Quote by Alvarez2005
Thanks for the replies so far but as far as pickups I understand what comes in most of em but some you can get in a HSS setup..would doing that versus an ss or sss setup give me more range???

Not so much "more" as "different"- you'll lose the bridge singlecoil tones and replace them with bridge humbucker ones.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by samuraigoomba

I agree. MIM Fenders are generally fine guitars and they can be gotten for a good price used. With your budget you could likely afford both a fender tele and strat. You can get a used Fender Deluxe MIM Lonestar (which has American pickups) for around $400 and a standard MIM Telecaster for around $350.
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 19, 2013,
If you want to go a little more unconventional with the pick-ups you can get MIM with unconventional pickup patterns. Fender's MIM plant makes quite a few unconventional pick up patterns. For example, you can get a telecaster with HH instead of ss or you can get a stratocaster with HSS made in Mexico.

For example, here is a Made in Mexico Telecaster New with unconventional pickup HH and knobs:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-blacktop-telecaster-hh-electric-guitar-maple-fingerboard

or Made in Mexico Stratocaster standard with HSS

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-standard-stratocaster-hss-swirl-electric-guitar

or Made in Mexico Stratocaster with HSH

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-blacktop-stratocaster-hsh-electric-guitar

Also, I agree if you go MIM then you can probably eek out both the strat and tele used.
TS,

I bought a MIM Nashville Telecaster and put a Warmoth Strat neck on it. Never looked back.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Alvarez2005

Yes. I think the strat HSS configuration is just about the most versatile of pick up configurations. You don't really need another guitar - although, of course, I wouldn't advocate for one moment that you shouldn't avail yourself of as many as you can afford and accommodate.

And of all the strat type HSS configuration guitars, IMHO the Yamaha Pacifica 112 is the best: great quality guitar and very reasonably priced.

http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/el-guitars/pacifica/pacifica112v/
Last edited by Garthman at Dec 20, 2013,
Quote by Garthman
Yes. I think the strat HSS configuration is just about the most versatile of pick up configurations.

I hate this line of thought. It's not MORE versatile. It's versatile in a different spectrum. Country, Blues, Indie and Fusion guitarists would all usually prefer that single coil in the bridge. To them, the humbucker would be LESS versatile.
Both an American Strat and an Amercian Tele are great guitars. Fender does a fantastic job. I would not get too hung up on the "this one is better country while this one is better for rock" thing. Google and you will find many famous rockers have used teles on timeless hits.

I've seen on E-bay some really decent used Fender American teles in your price range. Great condition, beautiful guitars. You might do as well on a strat, but I am not as sure. Try them both, see which one you like the most, and get that one. Don't get too hung up on the fact that you have to choose one over the other. Its really not a final thing. Enjoy the guitar you buy, and when the opportunity presents itself in the future you can buy another one. If you are a serious player, I doubt you will even stop at two. You will find that both guitars have their strengths, and if you pick up a Gibson or Jackson, you will probably want one of those too.
Quote by JustRooster

I hate this line of thought. It's not MORE versatile. It's versatile in a different spectrum. Country, Blues, Indie and Fusion guitarists would all usually prefer that single coil in the bridge. To them, the humbucker would be LESS versatile.

We all differ in our opinions, I'm sure, although one lives in hope that a degree of courtesy is manifest when those differences occur. Ah well

Oh - and BTW - if you check the spec of the Pacifica 112v that I recommended, you'll note that it has a coil-split facility on the humbucker so you can switch to a single coil at the bridge if that's what you fancy - why anyone should, however, is beyond me - nasty twangy things.
G&L ASAT used or look at a Nashville or Baja Tele, I like the G&L better but that is a personal thing. Tele's are one of my favorite style of guitar
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Sorry for adding another guitar to your list but look into a Thinline Cabronita (or regular Cabronita). It sounds great for what you want.

And no, a HSS guitar won't give you more range. There's always a trade-off. If you have a humbucker, you won't get single-coil tones. If you have a humbucker, you won't get single-coil tones. You have to go with what's more important to you. That's also true of the Strat vs Tele thing. The only way to know is by trying them out. The experience of playing them feels completely different. They both respond differently to how you play. They both cover the same territory but you need to figure out what feels and sounds best to you.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Fret-King's Blue Label Super S is another hybrid, and I've seen it as cheap as £449, or @$730.
http://fret-king.com/blue-label/super-s-499.html#.UrO_IMu9KSM

I've seen it cheaper, keep an eye on ebay. there are some killer deals on fretkings currently, the black label seems to be trying to supersede the blue labels, even though (on paper, anyway, i've only tried the blue labels) they're not half as good. a lot of shops seem to be dumping the blue labels.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I love Teles. They've just got it all.

Tim Morello, Joe Strummer and Keith Richards agree!

But I also love Strats!
Quote by Mephaphil

Tim Morello, Joe Strummer and Keith Richards agree!

Tim Morello...Tom Morello's identical twin cousin ?

Quote by Garthman
We all differ in our opinions, I'm sure, although one lives in hope that a degree of courtesy is manifest when those differences occur. Ah well

Oh - and BTW - if you check the spec of the Pacifica 112v that I recommended, you'll note that it has a coil-split facility on the humbucker so you can switch to a single coil at the bridge if that's what you fancy - why anyone should, however, is beyond me - nasty twangy things.

It wasn't specifically directed at you. That's just a battle I've been fighting for years on this board.
Quote by Garthman

dude country players thrive on that twangy sound so that is who would want it. not your thing fine but there are different sounds for different styles.

OP look into a Nashville Tele (fender makes them) this is a tele with a middle strat pup and is kind of a mix of the 2 guitars. should have thought of that sooner.
^+1 besides the Pacifica is a cheap starter guitar when compared to the others listed here or that the OP is thinking about, the pacifica112v falls way short.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by monwobobbo
dude country players thrive on that twangy sound so that is who would want it. not your thing fine but there are different sounds for different styles.

OP look into a Nashville Tele (fender makes them) this is a tele with a middle strat pup and is kind of a mix of the 2 guitars. should have thought of that sooner.

Check out my first post in this thread

I should take a quick photo and post it here.
Quote by JustRooster
Check out my first post in this thread

I should take a quick photo and post it here.

missed that. guess I'm just 2nding the idea then
Quote by JELIFISH19

And no, a HSS guitar won't give you more range. There's always a trade-off. If you have a humbucker, you won't get single-coil tones. .

Not an accurate assessment, IMHO.

I've gotten some great single coil tones from a split humbucker. The trick is in your selection of the humbucker. One of my favorite bridge humbuckers is the Carvin M22SD. It's a 13-14kohm Alnico pickup that's a great raucous rock and roll bridge pickup. Split, it's one of the best single coils around, in part because it's still at 6.5 - 7kohm coil at work. That's right there in standard Strat territory. There are a LOT of humbuckers that split beautifully, but very few of them are found in production guitars. Check out the Suhr Aldrich bridge pickup for another example.

There's also the Seymour Duncan P-Rail. This is actually a series of three different output pickups, each with an actual rail coil and a P90 coil side-by-side in a humbucker-size format. Switching allows you to select rail coil/P90 coil/serial/parallel modes (the latter two humbucking options).

My favorite "versatile" guitars are HSH, with the neck pickup either a single-coil-size stacked humbucker or a standard. Again, with proper pickup selection and clever switching options, these guitars can cover a lot of ground. One of the best switching options appeared on the Gibson M-III in the 90's. This was a completely uncharacteristic 24-fret superstrat style guitar (just reissued, but with lame switching) with a 25.5" scale (as I recall) and an HSH setup. Controls were a master volume, master treble rolloff, a five-way and a miniswitch. With the miniswitch in one position, you got standard strat-style options of a split humbucker bridge, single coil middle and split humbucker neck. With the miniswitch in the other position, you got a humbucker bridge/both together/humbucker neck/"enhanced" humbucker neck/standby (all pickups off). In short, the Les Paul options with the addition of the enhanced humbucker (neck mud reduced via an inductor and a resistor) and the off position. The same pickup and switching options WERE available on a Les Paul (also designated an M-III, but on a standard Studio guitar). I haven't found one to try yet, but it sure looks interesting.
One other option well within your price point but likely outside your box.

The old Variax series (300, 500, 600, 700 models) came with no magnetic pickups. They relied completely on the piezo pickup and the Variax electronics. But if you're looking for a tele or a good strat, this is a surprisingly good place to start. Both of these guitars are modeled as part of the selections available, and the necks on these guitars are maple and 25.5" scale.

You get a five-way to work with, so strat options are very normal, and this is an outstanding strat model with great quack. Ditto the Tele model, generally considered one of the best tele sounds around, and that includes compared to some really good teles.

There's one more thing. With a Variax, there's no single coil noise.

And then there are all those other models as well...
Quote by Robbgnarly
^+1 besides the Pacifica is a cheap starter guitar when compared to the others listed here or that the OP is thinking about, the pacifica112v falls way short.

Nonsense. The Pacifica holds its own against just about anything you compare it with - it's just a matter of ignoring the name on the headstock and the RRP of the competition.
Quote by Garthman
Nonsense. The Pacifica holds its own against just about anything you compare it with - it's just a matter of ignoring the name on the headstock and the RRP of the competition.

Not really. for a cheap guitar they are nice, but when you start looking at what is available in the $650+ range it does not mesure up. Think what you may. But you must not have a lot of experience with guitars in that price range.

If TS needed a guitar and amp for his budget, the 112v would be a good choice with an amp. But he only needs a guitar.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Not really. for a cheap guitar they are nice, but when you start looking at what is available in the $650+ range it does not mesure up. Think what you may. But you must not have a lot of experience with guitars in that price range.

If TS needed a guitar and amp for his budget, the 112v would be a good choice with an amp. But he only needs a guitar.

Each to his own, I suppose.

But I buy my instruments primarily for the way they play and sound not for the kudos the brand gives. I've A/Bed the Pacifica against many guitars, most of them costing much much more and - I'll say it again - the Pacifica not only compares well but often outshines the others.
Quote by monwobobbo
dude country players thrive on that twangy sound . . .

Oh, I know, I know. . . .
Get a used MIM Strat for $400, put in $150 noiseless fender pickups,and it's practically just as good as a $1,200 MIA Strat.
Quote by Gheymix
Get a used MIM Strat for $400, put in $150 noiseless fender pickups,and it's practically just as good as a $1,200 MIA Strat.

You can get used Fender MIM strats for alot less than that. $250-300 easy in my area.
Quote by JGM258
You can get used Fender MIM strats for alot less than that. $250-300 easy in my area.

Even better!
I don't like the noiseless it takes strat tone away from the guitar.
song stuck in my head today

Quote by lbc_sublime
I don't like the noiseless it takes strat tone away from the guitar.

Fender makes strat pickup sets based on 50's and 60's models
Quote by Garthman
Each to his own, I suppose.

But I buy my instruments primarily for the way they play and sound not for the kudos the brand gives. I've A/Bed the Pacifica against many guitars, most of them costing much much more and - I'll say it again - the Pacifica not only compares well but often outshines the others.

no offense dude but you don't list your gear or anything else about yourself (profile). while I agree that some lower end guitars can sound and play well it isn't likely to "outshine" most guitars that cost 3x as much. play them through a nice amp and then the little differences become more apparent. as mentioned the Pacifica gets a fair amount praise and recommendations for folks looking for a quality lower end guitar.

in reference to noiseless pups taking away from the strat sound Lace Sensor golds sound very "strratty" without the noise.
Page 1 of 2