Page 1 of 2
Do you guys ever go into your local music store and pick up a guitar/bass and once you start playing, you feel like you suck? I mean, playing in your home or around friends you are fine, but something about playing in a music store is different. I done that earlier today and songs I could nail, I sucked at the store. I wonder if its an intimidation thing. Anyone else do this?
Yea I used to. It stems from having a low self-esteem and being a little bit insecure in yourself. But once you realize no one really cares, it's all good.
Quote by metal4eva_22
You are under the false impression that strangers actually care about you.

So much truth.
I once went in and played about half of a song then someone comes in and sits 6 feet away from me and plays it way better than i did. that was embarrassing.
Wayne's World! Party Time! Excellent!
Party on Wayne. Party on Garth

Schecter Platinum C-1 Floyd Rose

Quote by Lord_Doku
Friendship and masturbation go a long way towards happiness. Until you have sex, then it's friendship and sex. And an empty wallet.
I like going and playing the electric kits they have. Since I moved away to school thats pretty much the only time I play drums. I've gone in just to play them before.
Last.fm So you can make fun of my taste in music
Youtube So you can make fun of my videos
Ik what u mean. haha but tbh, when i go to a music store, its for one of three reasons,
1. To buy a new guitar/bass
2. To buy some strings
3. To help a friend buy a guitar or something like that

The only time i actually play in a music store is to test an instrument, and like so many others have said, the other people could care less! haha EVEN though sometimes it is fun to mess with those >16 year olds that go in there, and just plug in, make TONS OF F***ing noise, and then leave, and they all think they are just amazing. I WILL from time to time sit down by them, and say, hey lets jam, and they will be like, oh well im so great haha and then ill be like, oh ok, well lets play in C major, haha and u can tell they have NO CLUE! So then they usually have some excuse and leave. Its fun to mess with people there. BUT really, no one there cares at all what u r playing (Well, usually. One time in a guitar center, i was jamming with a friend, and some drunk/maybe high dude, like powerslid right in front of us, throwing the devil horns, and then offered me a job at a panera bread XD (Seriously, true story XD (AND YES I SAID WTF dude, and walked away XD)) I have so many interesting guitar related stories haha Anyways yeah, people dont care, ur just judging ur playing too much.
Quote by metal4eva_22
You are under the false impression that strangers actually care about you.

This.
General rule of music stores: If you're not testing the equipment and aren't famous, stay home and play.
Quote by awesomo41894
some drunk/maybe high dude, like powerslid right in front of us, throwing the devil horns, and then offered me a job at a panera bread

Awesomo, are you sure he didn't say Pantera Bread?

But anyway, to the point. If you're not going in to buy something, or to consider buying something, don't play it. Nobody wants to hear somebody play the solo to Stairway to Heaven 12 times, or whatever wank-fest you kids are playing these days, while they're trying to determine if the instrument they might buy is worth it.

Also, the sales associates don't want to hear the same hackneyed songs all day; if you are going to play, do something unexpected, but really, don't play unless you might buy.
I play on instruments in the store anyway. I know I suck because I haven't really played guitar regularly in a good year and a half. And even when I did play regularly I wasn't fantastic. But I don't really care how bad I am. Other customers aren't gonna care what I'm doing. And as for employees: if I can work a much worse job every day and live with it they can listen to me wank away at a guitar for 30 minutes. Or they can ignore me like everyone else.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Quote by Rockford_rocks
General rule of music stores: If you're not testing the equipment and aren't famous, stay home and play.

Mhmm. Don't try unless you might buy.
Quote by RazzleMCR1
I mean, playing in your home or around friends you are fine, but something about playing in a music store is different.

It's not so much that you feel like you suck in the music store as much as it is that you just don't realize that you suck at home because nobody is there to hear it.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by awesomo41894
One time in a guitar center, i was jamming with a friend, and some drunk/maybe high dude, like powerslid right in front of us, throwing the devil horns, and then offered me a job at a panera bread XD (Seriously, true story XD (AND YES I SAID WTF dude, and walked away XD)) I have so many interesting guitar related stories haha Anyways yeah, people dont care, ur just judging ur playing too much.

I hate it when people use 'XD' , I hate it more when they do it more than once..

Quote by awesomo41894
Ik what u mean. haha but tbh, when i go to a music store, its for one of three reasons,
2. To buy some strings

The only time i actually play in a music store is to test an instrument, and like so many others have said, the other people could care less! haha EVEN though sometimes it is fun to mess with those >16 year olds that go in there, and just plug in, make TONS OF F***ing noise, and then leave, and they all think they are just amazing. I WILL from time to time sit down by them, and say, hey lets jam, and they will be like, oh well im so great haha and then ill be like, oh ok, well lets play in C major, haha and u can tell they have NO CLUE! So then they usually have some excuse and leave. Its fun to mess with people there. BUT really, no one there cares at all what u r playing (Well, usually. One time in a guitar center, i was jamming with a friend, and some drunk/maybe high dude, like powerslid right in front of us, throwing the devil horns, and then offered me a job at a panera bread XD (Seriously, true story XD (AND YES I SAID WTF dude, and walked away XD)) I have so many interesting guitar related stories haha Anyways yeah, people dont care, ur just judging ur playing too much.

From the way u TYPE I'm starting to THINK that ur 16 haha XD
The guys at the guitar store won't let you play any of the instruments unless you're buying. However the only time I bought a guitar from there I totally kicked ass, considering I'd only been playing for about a year and a half at that point. I'm barely approaching the three year mark as it is, so I don't really care if anyone judges my playing, I'd like to see any of them do better in less than 3 years.
Vinland, Vinland Über Alles

"Why do they still call me a warlord? And mad? All I want to do is create the perfect genetic soldier!"
Quote by iRoseAgainst
I once went in and played about half of a song then someone comes in and sits 6 feet away from me and plays it way better than i did. that was embarrassing.

He played the same song as you? What a dick

Anyways to the OP, I don't just think I suck
To me, the best songs to check the overall sound and playability of a guitar are Veil Of Maya songs. They're short, usually clocking in around 3 minutes (or less if you shorten them), they usually have big chords (clarity), break downs (tone), sweeps (pickup response), and some technical riffing or alternate picking (playability). I usually go for Crawl Back, It's Not Safe To Swim, Resistance, or Mowgli--all fairly short tunes.

To check the neck pup I usually do either the solo from Selkies or the solo from Xenochrist, or River Dragon if I'm feeling good and warmed up. I dunno why but for some reason those solos seem like they're made for a neck pup.

Unfortunately I don't know how to improvise very well :/ ... but I find that playing the same things on different guitars will help you notice the differences between the guitars better.
Listen. I'm sorry.
I just play, so I usually don't give a shit if anybody thinks I'm good or not. I'm not there to show off, I'm there to buy or try out an instrument.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Quote by vilk
To me, the best songs to check the overall sound and playability of a guitar are Veil Of Maya songs. They're short, usually clocking in around 3 minutes (or less if you shorten them), they usually have big chords (clarity), break downs (tone), sweeps (pickup response), and some technical riffing or alternate picking (playability). I usually go for Crawl Back, It's Not Safe To Swim, Resistance, or Mowgli--all fairly short tunes.

To check the neck pup I usually do either the solo from Selkies or the solo from Xenochrist, or River Dragon if I'm feeling good and warmed up. I dunno why but for some reason those solos seem like they're made for a neck pup.

Unfortunately I don't know how to improvise very well :/ ... but I find that playing the same things on different guitars will help you notice the differences between the guitars better.

lmfao
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
without background music..i dont know what to play...
I wish I was good at fingerstyle...
Quote by awesomo41894
2. To buy some strings

XDXDXDXD

on topic: I only every really jam out on they banjos, which are never tuned
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
Quote by DardySon
From the way u TYPE I'm starting to THINK that ur 16 haha XD

more lyk 13 AMIRITE? XD
Quote by RazzleMCR1
Do you guys ever go into your local music store
Very rarely, and not for more than a few minutes
and pick up a guitar/bass
No because I'm not 15
and once you start playing, you feel like you suck?
not really
I mean, playing in your home or around friends you are fine
I hate playing around family and friends because if its not a concert i'm just showing off, which is more or less masturbating in their faces
but something about playing in a music store is different.
is it being in a music store?
I done that earlier today and songs I could nail, I sucked at the store.
Hang in there buddy
I wonder if its an intimidation thing.
It's called adolescent egocentrism. You (we all are guilty of it, more so in teen years onward but there has been a trend in people holding onto this well into early adulthood) become convinced that people are intently observing you (ie a pimple on your forehead you feel like everyone is noticing) so when placed in such a situation, your thoughts are more about the other people's view of you than of what you're actually doing
Anyone else do this?
again, no, not 15

bar-by-bar breakdown

but i never liked playing guitars in stores and as a result never felt a need to, probably for similar reasons why you feel uncomfortable doing so
Quote by RazzleMCR1
...break up with your gf yet?

It hasn't past Christmas yet.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
I go play at the music stores all the time, because they have guitars I can't afford.

I'm not a very good guitar player, but I don't give a shit 'cause I can play E,G, and A in 4/4 like a boss.
"Pain or damage don't end the world nor despair, nor fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you have more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
Quote by Rockford_rocks

Or you could try not giving a ****
Before buying a guitar (especially a used one), I tune it, play a scale I know well to feel the note tones I am familiar with, then put it down for a while. Then I go back to it to see if it's still in tune later on. I remember one used guitar store I went to that only had one guitar that actually stayed in tune longer than five minutes, it closed down about a year later for selling crap. I've encountered new guitars that won't hold a tune long, either. Expensive ones.

If a guitar store won't let you play the same guitar at least twice, unless you are buying it, I wouldn't shop there.

I only play scales (usually harmonic minor) to test out a guitar, rather than a song I or someone else knows or power chords. That way I don't have to worry about an audience, getting a song right, or anything that takes away from determining how well the instrument is made and its quality of tone on every fret. I found a BC Rich Warlock once, and I know some might laugh (for two hundred dollars) that sounded like it should cost a thousand. It once stayed in tune for a month even after practicing with it. That is the reason to play a guitar in a store, to impress yourself not others, find a diamond in a rough unless you are rich, and to not get ripped off.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

I end up playing blues or jazz shit when I go to stores, so the only people who really pay any attention are old people. One time a guy liked my playing so he asked me to try out some of the guitars he was considering buying... I'm reasonably sure that I sales-pitched that guy into buying some $500 fender without myself getting paid...
I eat bananas vigorously

BUTTS.

To the pit because i don't feel like doing real life.
Quote by caeser1156
It hasn't past Christmas yet.

Oh yeah forgot about that. What present did you get her? Just wondering who's advice you followed, if anyone.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

When I go into a music shop I play a guitar to test something I'm looking at buying. But I know the feeling simply because the workers at the shop I go to will pick up a guitar while you're there and just outclass you because it's all they do in their free time at work. Hell I'm not good at improvising but at least let me have a moment.
Originally posted by mdc
Ok, I'll be honest, I just like his Oakleys.
Page 1 of 2