I make ambient/drone/post-rock music that I record with a Focusrite Saffire 6. It let me get the basics and record a short EP, but I've noticed that I'm not achieving the sound I want. My stuff always sounds too "rough", "bassy" and "distant" even after equalizing it.

A friend told me straight away that my interface sucks balls and that I should upgrade if I want a "professional" sound.

I read the sticky regarding interfaces, and call me dumb, but I haven't found anything regarding good quality interfaces.

As a reference, here's the last thing that I recorded, no matter what I do, it sounds too bassy and distant. My guitar sounds like crap if I don't use lots of reverb and delay.

https://soundcloud.com/lonestarstate/song-12-part-2-2

TL;DR I want to upgrade from my Focusrite Saffire 6, I want good sound quality, I don't really need a ****ton of inputs, I'm good with at least 2. I'm willing to spend more than $400 and less than $1,000, ideally looking for something in the $500-$700 range, I could stretch it up though.
Saffire 6's far from suck balls... if there's something wrong with your sound, it's not from the interface, trust me on that.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
You won't find a significant improvement on the saffire in that price range. There's nothing wrong with it as an interface, the problem must be coming from elsewhere.

How are you recording your guitar?
What is your monitoring chain? Do you have any acoustic treatment in your room? The problem definitely isn't the interface.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
What is your monitoring chain? Do you have any acoustic treatment in your room? The problem definitely isn't the interface.

What do you mean by monitoring chain? I just plug my guitar into the interfase, and the interfase into my PC. Also, what problem do you perceive? Do you hear exactly what I hear?

Quote by tim_mop
You won't find a significant improvement on the saffire in that price range. There's nothing wrong with it as an interface, the problem must be coming from elsewhere.

How are you recording your guitar?

I plug it directly into the interfase, then I open Ableton and Guitar Rig 5, then I just put some reverb, delay and an EQ and that's all. I haven't tweaked any configuration.

Got a Mexican Telecaster, guitar isn't god-tier but it isn't bad either.
No, what speakers are you running it through?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Well how about posting a dry recording of your guitar?
I spent a while skipping through that link thinking it was all synth strings. Too much reverb can colour your sound badly, if you aren't mixing it properly.
I've been recording with a Line 6 GX (substantially worse interface) for several years now and been able to achieve very good tones, so I doubt that's where your problem lies.
I've recorded a number of commercial releases for bands with the Saffire 6. It definitely isn't a poor quality interface.

It's hard to tell if anything is wrong with your guitar sound from that clip because of all the effects.
Let's party.
Finally got a chance to listen - Unless you're doing all those effects through an external synth processor, I'm not sure how your interface really has anything to do with the quality you're getting. Even if you were, 95% of the sound in this instance is is entirely based on the synths you're using, not your interface.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
The thing is you aren't going to get noticeably different sounds with another interface, the saffire is good enough, as mentioned already there's something else in your production you need to change, most likely your amp simulations
Your interface is fine. If you're just going direct in, it couldn't be your acoustic treatment in your room. What is your monitoring setup?

Look up how to use an eq if you haven't already. Basically you want to cut out unwanted frequencies. Don't boost (most of the time). The way to cut is to boost a frequency all the way up and move across frequencies and see what's really sticking out, then cut it out. I find most of the unwanted frequencies are in the 250hz to 400hz range or so. Especially with electric guitars.

In terms of arranging, make sure you are keeping your instruments ranges largely separate. That's not to say there's never any crossover, but you have to be aware of it. If you have your guitar, bass, kick and synth all playing low bass notes it's going to get muddy. No amount of gear or eq, compression can fix this. Good songs and arrangements always come before the gear.

Bass notes are the worst because they create a lot of overtones cluttering up the mix, so you want really tight control over them.
Quote by TheClown
What do you mean by monitoring chain? I just plug my guitar into the interfase, and the interfase into my PC. Also, what problem do you perceive? Do you hear exactly what I hear?

I plug it directly into the interfase, then I open Ableton and Guitar Rig 5, then I just put some reverb, delay and an EQ and that's all. I haven't tweaked any configuration.

Got a Mexican Telecaster, guitar isn't god-tier but it isn't bad either.

This combination is your problem. Either use an amp sim (not my recommendation) or an actual amp with a mic. Amps are as large a part of the sound of the guitar as the guitar itself.
Quote by tim_mop
This combination is your problem. Either use an amp sim (not my recommendation) or an actual amp with a mic. Amps are as large a part of the sound of the guitar as the guitar itself.

You missed the part where he had Guitar Rig 5.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I know this may be obvious... but you are clicking in the "instrument" button when you're di-ing guitar through your instrument right?

It's one of those things I know I've forgotten to do in the past and it makes the signal sound bad...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Bijingus
Your interface is fine. If you're just going direct in, it couldn't be your acoustic treatment in your room. What is your monitoring setup?

Look up how to use an eq if you haven't already. Basically you want to cut out unwanted frequencies. Don't boost (most of the time). The way to cut is to boost a frequency all the way up and move across frequencies and see what's really sticking out, then cut it out. I find most of the unwanted frequencies are in the 250hz to 400hz range or so. Especially with electric guitars.

In terms of arranging, make sure you are keeping your instruments ranges largely separate. That's not to say there's never any crossover, but you have to be aware of it. If you have your guitar, bass, kick and synth all playing low bass notes it's going to get muddy. No amount of gear or eq, compression can fix this. Good songs and arrangements always come before the gear.

Bass notes are the worst because they create a lot of overtones cluttering up the mix, so you want really tight control over them.

^^THIS.

Nothing to do with the audio interface (and yes it is a decent one, i have it). If you aren't listening to your tracks on decent monitors and/or headphones this is most likely the problem. I don't believe you answered how you were monitoring your sound yet.... so yes that's the issue, and well that and proper EQng of your individual tracks.