Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
where are you and can you spare 300 dollars in any currency?

Well my friend, If I won the lotto this week I would give you a million because its the season of giving, but unfortunately Christmas has left me a broke man. Now I feel like a bad person and a horrible Santa...

I am in 'Murica lol
Simply between those two, I would say the vypyr. I find the amp models and effects to be much more useful.

However, if you give us a budget, styles you play, and a location we can probably find you something better
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
well I was going to buy a used amp so I was thinking nothing past 150, which i found both those for 115. I play mostly Metallica and Pantera to Atreyu to Children of Bodom and also country music. I'm in Southern California
In that case, I would say the vypyr would be your best bet. Metal is what it excels at, and for the price it's probably the best value you'll find for metal
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by classicrocker01
In that case, I would say the vypyr would be your best bet. Metal is what it excels at, and for the price it's probably the best value you'll find for metal

thank you, sir! so what do you think i can do to get a more country sound? is that on the pick ups or a different amp or pedal?
Quote by Gibby77
thank you, sir! so what do you think i can do to get a more country sound? is that on the pick ups or a different amp or pedal?

What guitar do you have? For country I like using the split position between the Neck Humbucker and the Middle Singlecoil on my Ibanez. On the Vypyr you should try to use the TWN-model.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
Go for the Roland Cube. I have the 60W cube and it sounds amazing for a solid state amp. I love it! I use it for practicing and demoing. You won't go wrong with it.
Quote by Dragonfyre137
What guitar do you have? For country I like using the split position between the Neck Humbucker and the Middle Singlecoil on my Ibanez. On the Vypyr you should try to use the TWN-model.

I'll name the guitars I have. I have Warlock platinum, Dean ZX and Jackson King V JS32. I was playing country music on my Dean but I wanted to buy another guitar since I started to like playing country more now. What I should have asked was should I get a new guitar for country or a new amp or what can I get to get a more country sound.
from my experience, 70% of your sound comes from your amp. No need for buying a new guitar if you want to switch genres. So the question is: Do you want an amp for playing metal or do you want an amp for playing country? If the latter is the case, then the vypyr might be a wrong choice. Don't get me wrong: It's a great metal machine which is also very versatile. You might even get a good country tone out of it. But if you plan on playin country ONLY on your new amp, then you might want to check some cheaper Fender modells. I don't know about the US, but in Europe you can get the Fender Mustang I for 135€, which is like 185USD. A friend of mine has it for home practice and it's pretty sweet. Has a great metal tone, too.

What is your current amp by the way?
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
Ah, I see! well I plan on playing both but I don't really mind buying two amps since I have seen used Mustangs for 70-80 bucks which isn't too bad. So would you suggest getting the Mustang also? I was playing on 15 watt Line 6 which took a dump on me. then I found this Vypyr with a free Mogami gold cable for 115, but the guy said he will let it go for 100 so i kind of don't want to skip that offer up.
No need to buy both. Personally I'd take the Vypyr then, if you plan on playing both metal and country. The additional effects might come in handy. Do you have the option of trying either of them out? Also, the vypyr has 12 different guitar modells (each clean and dirty), which also includes the Fender Twin.

So in conclusion: For country only: Fender Mustang. For multiple genres: Vypyr. But try both of them if you can.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF

Quote by metalmingee
I can try the Mustang and my local music store cause they have it and they Peavey at another store, so i will try them both out. One more question since you seem to know a lot more then I do. i wanted to buy new pickups for a more metal sound, lets say if I got the Peavey would it be worth it? Sorry, 1 more question, what about about a distortion pedal would that be worth it?
no problem, I'm glad I can help

I don't know much about distortion pedals because I've never needed one. I also don't think you'll need one either with the vypyr or the mustang, they got everything you'll need gainwise.

Concernign pickups:Now this is a very, very difficult topic. You might buy some pickups and hate them, love them or don't hear any difference at all. How long have you been playing guitar already? I've bought my first set of PUs after having played for 3 years. When choosing pickups, I found it easy simply looking at the bands/guitarists I like most and finding out what pickups they use. Check out some demos on youtube, read some reviews. Take your time when deciding

But first I'd get your new amp. Figure out what EQ-settings give you the tone you like most. You might then know whether the sound improvement should come from your guitar, pickups or your amp.

When looking for pickups, you might concider active EMGs. I'm pretty positive both Metallica and Children of Bodom use them.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF

Quote by metalmingee
Last edited by Dragonfyre137 at Dec 21, 2013,
You have been a big help lol

yeah I read that with those amps I won't most likely need them

I've been playing for about 2 1/2 years now and was thinking about it but I was sure if I wanted to drop that kind of money on them not knowing if would make a difference. I'm going to take your advice and get a new amp and mess with it and see if I can get the kind of sound I want out of it since they seem like they can get a lot of different sounds out of them
Do that. If you have any questions, just ask away. Have fun with you new amp!
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF

Quote by metalmingee
I've had my Vypyr 60 for several years now. I honestly do not have much experience with the other models outside of playing them a few times. It is the amp I would recommend starting at $250 used.

What Dragonfyre said is pretty spot on. If it were only country you played the Mustang might be better (never played it just going on demos and forum brethren advice). Multiple genres the Vypyr excels at. I've been working on a decent country tone myself. I have semi decent (to not so decent ) clips in my profile (Twin, Deluxe, Bad Cat) doing that kind stuff. All of those need to be redone

The amp does take pedals well including a clean boosting Bad Monkey (tubescreamer type pedal) and Wah. I have a pedal demo too with my Vypyr.

As far as pickups go - normally people say not to bother with pickup swaps when using a modeling amp but I disagree. There was a big difference when I swapped pickups so don't be afraid to do that.

Keep us posted.
Vypyr, by far. The Cube is another toy like most of the other modelers - it just doesn't come anywhere near being able to touch the amount of models and FX the Vypyr has, and the parameters are very limited on the Cube.

Cubes fall into the same category as Spiders in my eyes, while they may arguably sound better (I would probably take a Spider IV over a Cube ), they are not useful as learning tools, they only have a pitiful smattering of FX with smashed up "intensity" parameters, and no descriptive model names so you're not actually becoming familiar with the amp world at all by using it.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

As far as pickups go - normally people say not to bother with pickup swaps when using a modeling amp but I disagree. There was a big difference when I swapped pickups so don't be afraid to do that.

The way I figure it, the Vypyr kind of exists outside of the typical "modeler" category, because it's pretty much an analog signal from input to output. There's certainly digital modeling going on inside of it, but it doesn't **** your signal into 1s and 0s like most of the other ones do (where the "pickups don't do anything on modelers" argument came from).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Dec 21, 2013,
From what I understand, only the rack effects are digital.

Maybe someone else knows more.

So you if you don't use the rack effects much, like me, theoretically your signal would be analog all the way through no?

Either way, it still sounds good and the technology has come a long way.
My vote still goes vypyr. I honestly wasn't that impressed with the mustang

I can get a perfectly acceptable sound for even the old timey country I play
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I've had my Vypyr 60 for several years now. I honestly do not have much experience with the other models outside of playing them a few times. It is the amp I would recommend starting at $250 used.

What Dragonfyre said is pretty spot on. If it were only country you played the Mustang might be better (never played it just going on demos and forum brethren advice). Multiple genres the Vypyr excels at. I've been working on a decent country tone myself. I have semi decent (to not so decent ) clips in my profile (Twin, Deluxe, Bad Cat) doing that kind stuff. All of those need to be redone

The amp does take pedals well including a clean boosting Bad Monkey (tubescreamer type pedal) and Wah. I have a pedal demo too with my Vypyr.

Keep us posted.

Thank you guys for all the help, I decided I'm going to get the Vypyr amo, just because I want to play both types of music and other types to. Since it seems like everyone agrees it's better for playing multiple genres of music

When I get the Vypyr, will it be cool if I message you on how you been getting a country tone? I've messed with amp before and I couldn't get it lol. Do you recommend me getting the Bad Monkey pedal?

I probably will buy pick ups and see how I like them and if doesn't work out good I can just sell them.

Thank you everyone, you guys have been a HUGE help to me
Sure, keep us updated.

Concerning the Bad Monkey: There already is a overdrive-pedal-effect on the Vypyr. Since you are going to get the Vypyr 30, you'll have tons of stompbox- and rack effects. No need to buy any pedals, in my opinion. Except the Sanpera maybe. That way you can activate/deactivate the effects of your Vypyr via footswitch. Don't have it myself though, because I don't use any of the Vypyrs effects.

For a country tone on the Vypyr:
Take the TWN-Model (Fender Twin Amp) on low-gain (green) mode. You'll know what I mean as soon as you get the amp and read the manual. I have no idea how you'd set your EQ for a Country tone, but there's a lot of variety you can find with the vypyr.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF

Quote by metalmingee