Hi, I am new to the forum, but I have been playing guitar for a little more than a year now, and it seems like I hit a mental roadblock and I am now lost... With all the information on the web I feel overwhelmed, and I dont know what I should be practicing. I like rock, and progressive metal(iron maiden, led zepplin, etc.) and any advice on would be greatly aprecciated. (Sorry if I posted in the wrong section of the forum.)

-A confused aspring guitarist
Hey man,

I have been playing guitar for over 10 years now, so hopefully some of my experiences can help...

Firstly, at your level I would suggest that you continue learning and playing songs by bands and artists that you enjoy listening and playing along to. This should keep your interest level in the guitar high and help you improve, provided that the music you like is challenging enough without being overly complicated.

I would also advise, especially if you are entirely self-taught, that you get lessons from a reputable and experienced guitar teacher. A good teacher will aid you in assessing and correcting your rudimentary guitar techniques (e.g. holding the pick, fret-hand positioning, posture, etc.) and they should be able to give you an understanding of basic music theory which will help you understand how musicians write songs, but also help you compose your own.

Lastly, keep an open mind about different musical styles and listen to as much different music as possible.

Let me know if you need any more help.
Last edited by NikFire89 at Dec 20, 2013,
Play what you feel like playing, learn songs that inspire you, find where the passion is and technique will follow naturally.

There is no "what should I be practicing", there is rather "what I want to see myself being able to play" and enjoying it. That is the way forward!
Thanks for the advice guys! It really helps! I will definitely learn more songs I am interested in! I have been trying to teach myself some theory and scales and all that good stuff. It gets pretty dry though and to be honest I dont get it much....so I am sure this will be way more fun then that!
Last edited by blueghost5 at Dec 20, 2013,