Hello, I've read the interfaces sticky but I am still a bit confused on how to achieve what I want.

I own a Peavey Vypyr 30 and I want to record directly while playing (like on the USB models). Is there any way to do that? I was told that using an audio interface(e.g UX1) would then "mute" the amp and I would have to listen to the amp through the PC speakers.

Also, would the quality of recording be better than the 3.5 to 3.5 mono cable solution which is mentioned as a bad method?
Ibanez RG821 + Ibanez TS9
Peavey Vypyr 30 + Sanpera

My song covers on YouTube
I've seen people split the signal to a wet and dry signal. You can hear your current amp and record the dry signal on the off chance you want to reamp later.

I think you can pull it off with a chorus pedal and a DI box.
Can you explain a bit better? Will the recording quality be better than using the 3.5 jack input?
Also why is a chorus pedal needed?

Quote by zefs
Can you explain a bit better? Will the recording quality be better than using the 3.5 jack input?
Also why is a chorus pedal needed?

Sorry, I was in a rush when I typed my response. My solution is based on using your signal path as if you were recording from your actual audio output. It is not utilizing the USB you say your amp has.

With that said, you would need to split your signal in two. One would be your wet signal. This would be the current amp your using. Then there is your dry signal. This is your current signal path sans any effects or amplification.

I have used an ABY box or even a stereo chorus pedal to split my signal. Once you've split your signal you run one side to your current rig and the other to a DI box for recording. If you don't like your sound or want to monkey with the settings, you can reamp without having to start from scratch.

Hope that helps! Cheers
Alright, I haven't used a DI or ABY box before so let's see if I got this right.

We send the signal from the ABY box to the DI box and then connect the DI box with a PC to record? How do you connect the DI box to the PC?

Last edited by zefs at Dec 20, 2013,
The Amp really doesn't need to come into it, honestly, the free VST amp emulators available online are gonna be better than sticking a mic in front of your vyper.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Yes but what I wanna do is to play along with a song coming out from my PC speakers and record my playing at the same time.

I remember trying a Line 6 UX1 and playing along with a song, so both sound sources came out from the speakers and I was having a hard time. I think there was some minor delay as well for my playing.

The only thing that I have found to work for what I do is direct USB recording which doesn't exist on the Vypyr 30 so that's why I am looking for a solution.

You'd have to split the signal, there's pretty much no other option there.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by zefs
Yes but what I wanna do is to play along with a song coming out from my PC speakers and record my playing at the same

The more you do on your computer, the more latency you will have. Struggle with the latency or just listen to it off your MP3 player.
Is there a guide on how to split the signal and record like you guys mentioned? So that I can search for what components/cables I need to buy and see if it's worth it.

I did a quick search and couldn't find anything pertaining to this exact question.

What recording equipment do you have so far?

Ps. If you by chance you still want to use a DI box, the ones I found only output using a 1/4in jack or XLR.
Quote by RustedWithin
I have used an ABY box or even a stereo chorus pedal to split my signal. Once you've split your signal you run one side to your current rig and the other to a DI box for recording. If you don't like your sound or want to monkey with the settings, you can reamp without having to start from scratch.

I'm not really sure why you'd need the chorus in this case, or the ABY box, unless you just want to play with effects... Most DI boxes have two outputs, one balanced signal you can send to your interface, and the other that you send to your amp. This is so you can record both tracks at once, and still have the flexibility of being able to go back and reamp later, if needed. In this case, you could just use it to monitor your playing, if you don't want to mic it.

However, this doesn't really apply to the TS's situation, since it sounds like he wants to record the signal of the amp, while still hearing it come out of the amp's speakers...

I'm assuming you're trying to record directly out of the headphone jack on the Vypyr? This output really isn't designed for recording in the way you want and, as such, cuts the sound coming out of the internal speaker, because it's meant to be used silently. If you want to monitor the signal, you need to do it with your recording interface by enabling digital monitoring in your DAW, or (if the interface has it) direct monitoring.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
All the recordings I've done so far are by using my smartphone's camera which obviously sucks. I also tried using a 3.5 to 3.5 mono jack on the "record out" of my vypyr to the microphone port of my PC which works but the recording quality isn't good enough. It's a bit muddy and ofcourse there is the problem that I don't hear the amp.

I could purchase another set of speakers and connect them to the amp but again what I was looking for was the "USB direct recording" functionality found on other amps like the Vypyr 75 which you can play and record at the same time with the amp.

I also thought of getting a SM57 and record the amp but it would pick the sound from the PC speakers that I will be listening the song and playing along. Headphones isn't a solution for this since I don't want to use them.

Those Usb direct recording options sound like crap anyway... like I said, you'll be better off recording direct through your interface and simply monitoring through your Vyper if you must do that.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
Those Usb direct recording options sound like crap anyway... like I said, you'll be better off recording direct through your interface and simply monitoring through your Vyper if you must do that.

I am sorry that I keep asking but I am not sure what you mean by monitoring?
When I used to own a UX1 interface as I said I was listening to the song and my playing through my PC speakers.

Since I want to hear to my amp I made the choice and ordered a Blue Snowball usb mic and I will be hearing the song through headphones I guess. I didn't want to mess with amp emulators once more or pay around $300 to be able to record since I am not that good anyway.

Amp tone is important for me because it makes it more unique and also it allows me to play better since I've been using this tone for a while. That's why I decided to go that road, so thanks everyone for helping out.