My friend from out of town wants to sell me his Genz Benz Black Pearl head. Based on what I've read, it sounds like a cool amp for cleans and non-metal OD. I did some research and saw that the combos come with alnico speakers (Eminence Red Fang), so my guess is that it is probably designed for alnico speakers in an open back cab (BP ext cabs are open back... very open back). Alnicos are $$$ and who knows if I'd even like 'em. I am not really one to chase the "tones of old."

Right now I have two awesome sounding Emperor cabs, both closed back, one with Eminence Governors, the other with Eminence Legend V12's. I use them for high gain low-tuned modern metal / post metal. My taste in speakers for what I do right now is: rolled off highs (reduce fizz from high gain amps), no/minimal breakup, tightness in lows, lots of midrange.

I really like the idea of giving this amp a go. To sum things up:

-Amp probably likes Alnico's in an Open Back
-All I have are closed back cabs with V30-style speakers
-What to expect?
-Should I just practice more instead of worrying about this
Last edited by cGoEcYk at Dec 20, 2013,
Bah. My amp sounds better with v30s than with the stock combo speaker if ya ask me, so you don't really have to worry about that.
If you have a decent tone stack you can correct what you don't like and stuff anyway...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
1. That's not how it works, amps aren't "designed" for speakers in the same way guitars aren't designed for specific strings. The speaker is matched to the amp, not the other way around.

2. Alnico isn't magic, it's just one way of making a speaker. There are plenty of ceramic speakers that will sound good with that amp. Alnico doesn't sound all that different from ceramic anyway, especially not at low volumes.

3. Can't you just try the amp and see if it works with your cab?
i can try mine with v12s if you wish (I don't have governors). I tried a bunch of speakers with mine, but I don't think I tried the v12s. I did like some ceramic speakers with mine- my heritage g12h30s sounded pretty good, as did the legend 1258 for more sparkly american tones.

I thought my red fangs sounded way different from my ceramic speakers, the bass is nowhere near as tight and they don't sound "rock" in the way that ceramic does- they have a warmth and chime that ceramic doesn't seem to have (I don't want to say that's a difference solely due to the magnets because it could just be the specific speakers I have), and they have a less immediate attack than ceramic.

I won't say "bloom", honest.

I don't want to disagree with colin, because he knows way more than me (and the general advice he's giving is spot-on, just in this specific instance I think it makes a difference), but the red fangs are pretty dark-sounding, I think. I found the thick and dark settings to be almost useless with the red fangs- but they made a lot more sense with ceramic speakers.

But yeah if you like the amp I wouldn't worry about it. it definitely sounds voxier with the alnicos, but that's not to say that's the tone you're going for. and it does sound good with (at least some) other speakers.

EDIT: my guess is it'll be pretty middy with either v12s or governors. I can't remember if i tried mine with v30s (govs are emi's v30-type speakers), but i seem to remember it being too middy for me with greenbacks, which are similarly middy (maybe not even as middy).

Obviously personal preference and all that, you might love it. And you can counteract that to some extent by using some of the less middy voicing settings (i.e. deep or bright).

EDIT #2: I also agree 100% with colin when he says alnico isn't magic. Personally I would only want alnico for very specific things, for the vast majority of stuff I play, I prefer ceramic.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 20, 2013,
Thanks for your thoughts all.

Hey Dave- Governors and Legend V12's sound pretty similar to me when A/B'd against each other in matching cabs (Gov- a pinch louder overall and a hair more aggressive, V12= a pinch bigger low end, similar mids but the tiniest bit flatter mid shape). I think they are both V30-alternatives with the Gov being a little more closely similar to V30. I own a Celestion V30 too... my least favorite of the 3.

Update: Sealed the deal on the BP. boooya.
Last edited by cGoEcYk at Dec 20, 2013,
Quote by Dave_Mc
I thought my red fangs sounded way different from my ceramic speakers, the bass is nowhere near as tight and they don't sound "rock" in the way that ceramic does- they have a warmth and chime that ceramic doesn't seem to have (I don't want to say that's a difference solely due to the magnets because it could just be the specific speakers I have), and they have a less immediate attack than ceramic.

I won't say "bloom", honest.

I don't want to disagree with colin, because he knows way more than me (and the general advice he's giving is spot-on, just in this specific instance I think it makes a difference), but the red fangs are pretty dark-sounding, I think. I found the thick and dark settings to be almost useless with the red fangs- but they made a lot more sense with ceramic speakers.

I think the red fang sounds so unusual because it's a significantly different kind of speaker, not just due to the magnet type (although certainly both are at play). Weber makes their Blue Dog in a ceramic and an alnico, and you can tell when they're next to each other but the difference is not enormous. Ted Weber always said that their 30W ceramic actually sounded closest to the original Celestion Alnico Blues, so that might tell you something about how the speaker design can be more influential than the magnet type.

I think the main point here is that there is basically only one type of speaker that most people will ever encounter with an Alnico magnet, and that's a Blue style speaker. The problem is that the Blue sounds so unusual in the first place that it's easy to attribute that sound exclusively to the magnet, because that's the most obviously unusual thing about it and all the other aspects of speaker design are fairly archaic and uninteresting.
^ Yeah absolutely, agreed 100%. I hate when people try to claim that only one thing is at play when it could be (in fact probably is) several. I'll just say that my opinion was that the amp sounded significantly more voxy with the stock alnico speakers, but that it also sounded good (albeit different) with specific ceramic speakers, too.

^^ Sweet. That'll save me the bother of trying the thing with v12s, I'd have had to rearrange my room to get at them easily

And I agree, v12s sound to me sort of like more laid-back v30s with more lower mids. It doesn't surprise me that the govs are closer since they're more obviously described as a v30 alternative (similar thing going on with the private jack and gb128, I presume).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?