I've been out of the computer market a while so I need some real hand-holding here guys. I'm getting a new laptop soon within the $500-700 range.

Soooooo, treat me like I'm stupid hear. So far I know I want... and Intel i5 processor, and AT LEAST 4GB of ram, lots (at least 250GB HD).

I've also heard the newest Windows OS (8?) is practically designed for touchscreen capability only so I'm pretty certain I want that.

I'll mostly be doing basic stuff, primarily streaming videos, using internet, maybe recording some music (w/external mic), maybe some gaming as well (although I'm no stickler for graphics.

Please Pit you're my only hope, my only clues right now are Lenovo, Asus or maybe HP
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Anything Toshiba basically
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
If recording music is a true "maybe" as well as the gaming, then any laptop can do what u want.

Hell a laptop from 2-3 years ago can do what u want.

Most people don't like windows 8, and if for casual use, it's not that user-friendly/streamlined.

You might want to go for one with the longest battery power if you plan on using it on the road/cba to be near power socket all the time.

If you download a lot, u might wanna go with the biggest harddrives, or cash out less on a laptop and use the money for an external drive.

Likewise what size do u want? Big screen or not.

Just some thoughts to think about.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Dec 20, 2013,
Wut bout this?

EDIT: forgot link

this
Last edited by snipelfritz at Dec 20, 2013,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Most people don't like windows 8, and if for casual use, it's not that user-friendly/streamlined.

What are my other options then?

If you download a lot, u might wanna go with the biggest harddrives, or cash out less on a laptop and use the money for an external drive.

Likewise what size do u want? Big screen or not.

I'd like a big screen, but would prioritize big hard drive over it. I assume 500GB is enough though.

How about RAM is 4GB good in this day and age? Do I want to spring for 6 or 8GB?

PREDIT: Just got a call from my dad who is financing much of this and it looks like I'll probably be getting something with an i5, touchscreen, 6GB-RAM, and 500+GB Hard Drive.

Now I'm all excited.

Also using a smart phone for the last two years I'm pretty comfortable with the whole swiping concept.
If you're not going to do any heavy processing, like running multiple "big" apps at once, or playing games on high settings, or processing video data, etc., then 4gb of RAM would be plenty.

If you know you want to do any of the above, I'd suggest going 6 or 8, and that can be expensive on laptops.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by snipelfritz
What are my other options then?

Windows 7 or wait until windows 9. Windows 8 isn't that bad though. That's it unless you want to go down the linux route.
Also that Asus you posted earlier will probably be quite good. They tend to have quite a high standard of finish compared to the Acer that I posted which tend to feel quite plasticky if that matters to you. The Acer is more of a bang for your buck kind of deal though, it has two hd slots so you could fit a an ssd for OS and still have 500gb for storage it has a GT720 graphics card as well.
Quote by Thrill-house
Does it have to be a laptop?

Talk me out of it.

I'm looking to pursue a career which may involve quite a bit of travel, so I'm liking that idea. And like I said, I don't need any sort of custom-built gaming behemoth. Also, I don't own a desk, so a desktop might be difficult.
Anus Laptops

Ppppppowerbook
Quote by So-Cal
Windows 7 or wait until windows 9. Windows 8 isn't that bad though. That's it unless you want to go down the linux route.

Do they still make Windows 7 PCs new? And I really can't wait, my 7 year old macbook could die an-------
if you really mean some gaming (of remotely recent titles) at all, you would be better off leaning closer to $700 than $500.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Why dont you buy what YOU feel is good, makes sure your within the return policy if you dont like it and do it all over again until YOU feel its "right"
Whats goes around must come down
Quote by captainsnazz
just keep saving up and get a mac

I like my mac, but that was good for college. I've realized how nice the seamlessness between media is, but also how little I use it. If I thought I would utilize all the advantages of a Mac I'd be considering it, but I know from experience that I won't.
Quote by captainsnazz
just keep saving up and get a mac

alternatively you could just light some money on fire thats always fun
After a slightly confusing phone call with my dad, I believe this is what I'm now getting for Christmas:
http://www.google.com/shopping/product/18286933000707590653?safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&hl=en&q=asus+laptop+i5&sa=X&ei=LbO0UputDaPsyQGv3IGwBA&ved=0CEwQ8wIwAA

It meets all my requirements. And my parents are giving it to me. Here's to my last big Christmas present before being a true adult.
Quote by snipelfritz

Talk me out of it.

I'm looking to pursue a career which may involve quite a bit of travel, so I'm liking that idea. And like I said, I don't need any sort of custom-built gaming behemoth. Also, I don't own a desk, so a desktop might be difficult.

I actually travel at least once a week on business and travel internationally every month or so. If your looking at a career that involves travel you will need a laptop that you can actually work with on a plane, in the cramped economy section. Anything above about 13" is impossible to use on any flight that I've been on.

My personal laptop is in fact a Macbook Air, one of the new 2013 11" laptops. The big draw for it was the 12 hours of runtime that I get per charge and the SSD. For just about anything I need to do, including programming for embedded systems, the Mac is awesome. For the few programs that I can't run on it I have a company issued windows laptop that never travels with me.
Quote by snipelfritz
After a slightly confusing phone call with my dad, I believe this is what I'm now getting for Christmas:
http://www.google.com/shopping/product/18286933000707590653?safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&hl=en&q=asus+laptop+i5&sa=X&ei=LbO0UputDaPsyQGv3IGwBA&ved=0CEwQ8wIwAA

It meets all my requirements. And my parents are giving it to me. Here's to my last big Christmas present before being a true adult.

Looks alright. Personally I would've gone for the 8GB RAM if there was the option, but at least you don't have to pay for it.

Also, windows 8 isn't a problem at all. Just install Classic Shell if you feel like you're missing a start bar and make sure to do the Windows 8.1 upgrade (its free, but you have to make sure all the apps on the laptop are up to date)
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Last edited by OddOneOut at Dec 20, 2013,
Stay away from HP.

I have one and it's a nice laptop that works perfectly and I play videogames on it and all, but it has serious heat issues and if you ever need to clean its insides the thing is A BITCH to open and disassemble (yes, if you want to clean the fans you have to dismantle the whole damn laptop).
I have no sig
Quote by c3powil
Anything Toshiba basically

Agreed. My Toshiba is great, matches or exceeds all of the things you described, and was in your price range.