Hello, I've been playing guitar for about three months, I'm self-taught and I just don't want to take lessons.
I learned a lot of songs, except for the solos, which I tryed to improvise, but I couldn't. Then, I learned some scales and chords with a metronome and everything, but now I'm just frustrared and mad because I still can't improvise a simple solo. I've never wanted to quit guitar, but sometimes I just feel stuck and I feel like I'm not getting any better.
So I wanted to know if I'm the only one who has ever felt like I feel rigth now, and how I can "fix" my problem.

Thank you.
Last edited by Xepyzz Zephead at Dec 20, 2013,
Three months is less than nothing mate.Seriously it takes time effort and a solid plan.Its impossible that you have for example learned some scales(and in plural) in three months just to give you an example.You probably learned some shapes(not the same).Same with chords.

What you need is a method.Get a book that has a plan,a method..not just random exercises.Check out the Musicians Institute Books... always great value for money for example.A book ll put things in order that are IMPOSSIBLE for you since you are a begginer.So my recommendation is choose a method and follow it to the letter and also try to pick out songs by ear...doesnt have to be whole songs even a small phrase can do wonders for you if you use your ears and not tabs.

So no you are not stuck...you havent even started yet.You are perfectly fine but you dont know what to do.So get a method and get to work.Even free sites like justinguitar can provide some kind of structure....you need it.So get to it .
Last edited by Dreamdancer11 at Dec 20, 2013,
three months? mastering the topics you describe takes years on average.. still, with lessons the process will likely be quicker.

go at your own pace.
lot of free lessons on the web .write your own songs .you don't need no teacher -there also to expensive .
Haha you're funny. I doubt you learned ALL of that in 3 months. And usually, solos aren't even that hard. It's mainly effects and speed that make it sound worse than it really is. And uh how many songs have you learned? Let me know now
Quote by INSULIN
lot of free lessons on the web .write your own songs .you don't need no teacher -there also to expensive .

Lots* Write* You* A=don't say "no"*, they're* Too* forget the also because you didn't list anything or anyone else. There's your English lesson for the day.

PS You should probably say "There's lots"
Quote by soundgarden6742
After 3 months I didn't even know how to whammy without a whammy bar

Hahahahahaha I know exactly what you mean! Whoever made this must not know what they're doing, I bet they've been playing for a week
I think you're taking it way too hard. 3 months in and I couldn't even play a single song.

You've not taken lessons so you do not have a frame of reference, but unless you're very organized in your learning or something like that, self-learning is going to take a significantly longer time.
Quote by triface
I think you're taking it way too hard. 3 months in and I couldn't even play a single song.

You've not taken lessons so you do not have a frame of reference, but unless you're very organized in your learning or something like that, self-learning is going to take a significantly longer time.

I learned a song the first day I started. You know The Beautiful People by Marilyn Manson? Yeah, I guess you tried shit outta your zone
Quote by triface

THISTHISTHISTHISTHIS
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Xepyzz Zephead
Hello, I've been playing guitar for about three months, I'm self-taught and I just don't want to take lessons.
I learned a lot of songs, except for the solos, which I tryed to improvise, but I couldn't. Then, I learned some scales and chords with a metronome and everything, but now I'm just frustrared and mad because I still can't improvise a simple solo. I've never wanted to quit guitar, but sometimes I just feel stuck and I feel like I'm not getting any better.
So I wanted to know if I'm the only one who has ever felt like I feel rigth now, and how I can "fix" my problem.

Thank you.

After few dozens of months your problems will be fixed
Quote by PiercedBand
Hahahahahaha I know exactly what you mean! Whoever made this must not know what they're doing, I bet they've been playing for a week

Do you know what I mean? I was referring to the classic video of some kid teaching us how to whammy without a whammy bar. UG ripped this kid a new one.
Quote by PiercedBand
Lots* Write* You* A=don't say "no"*, they're* Too* forget the also because you didn't list anything or anyone else. There's your English lesson for the day.

PS You should probably say "There's lots"

Well "Professor", it would actually be "There are a lot of" not "There's lots".

There's your English lesson for the day.
Quote by soundgarden6742
Do you know what I mean? I was referring to the classic video of some kid teaching us how to whammy without a whammy bar. UG ripped this kid a new one.

Yeah that sounds vaguely familiar! Do you know where I could find it again to freshen up on my skills? hahaha
Quote by dyingturtle
Well "Professor", it would actually be "There are a lot of" not "There's lots".

There's your English lesson for the day.

Maybe I should just stick to guitar and not being an English teacher!!
OP it took me 7 years of piddling about on the guitar before I even got slightly ok at it
Don't treat Guitar like a chore. It's supposed to be a hobby, something you enjoy doing and if you're not enjoying it then you shouldn't be forcing yourself to play.

Think about all the old guitarists from the 50s, 60s and maybe even earlier. They barely knew any theory and just played what they liked. Not that you shouldn't know theory, it will help you create the music in your head but you need to enjoy something if you hope to get better at it.
Quote by Michaelob
OP it took me 7 years of piddling about on the guitar before I even got slightly ok at it

rofl
I was going to say the same thing.

Only way to be able to make solos on the fly from the brain would be to have played many different things for a long time (by long I mean multiple years), so you know every pitch you want to hear and where to find it on the guitar, and all the different ways to get sounds.

The only people who can sound somewhat good after 3 months would be someone who has talent starting off AND probably played 10-14 hours every single day for 3 months straight.

There's no fast way to the top. It's all about putting in the time.
Today kids expect it to be easy and like learning a video game...nope.
More than 10 years for me, every day, I still think I suck
Quote by Tempoe
Today kids expect it to be easy and like learning a video game...nope.
More than 10 years for me, every day, I still think I suck

Depends on who you are. I picked it up pretty easily. I ain't some god but I get it quickly
Take a one week break then start again.

Learn about and from styles that you don't listen to.

Learn how to slap.
There's no chance in hell you'd be able to improvise a solo after just 3 months....try again after another year.

You've got highly unrealistic expectations of how long this is going to take. Like others have said 3 months is nothing, you've barely started. At that point I was still just struggling along with a few chords, badly...you're not even at the stage where you'll feel comfortable with the guitar in your hands, it'll still feel awkward and out of place .
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Michaelob

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Not sure the OP is still following but changing things up helps a lot. So does time. Occasionally you need to take a break too. I'm still waiting for the day where I can play Painkiller at full speed.... The rhythm part.