As the title says, I'm not exactly buying a new amp right now, but I'd like to have a goal to work towards.

So, the usual FAQ:
-budget doesn't matter as I don't have money anyway, but I could spend over 2000e on a good amp head.
-Head and cab
-Tube amp
-I live in finland

Tone: I'm looking for a dark, lower-high gain lead channel that has some bite to it. In other words, heavy, dark, "metal" tone but not over-the-top gain, and some presence doesn't hurt. I'd like the clean channel to be as transparent and organic as possible, kind of like as close to an acoustic as electrically possible.

Genre wise, melodic doom/post-black/atmospheric death metal esque tone, some bands that come to mind are Opeth, Agalloch and October Tide.

Thanks
Check out Verellen. Sounds like it might be up your alley. Not cheap though, certainly in Europe.
Laney VH100R

/thread
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I've always thought of the VH100R as more of a clean amp than a metal amp, but that's since there aren't any good demos of it anywhere, and I only hear it in Brett Kingman videos. But It is one of my dream amps, if it does have a good lead it should be perfect.

Verellen amps are also really cool, Skyhammer looks ideal. It's just I've never heard any reviews or demos of them, so I haven't been sure of the quality.
Sovtek Mig 100 fits the gain, but only 1 channel
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by guitar/bass95
I've always thought of the VH100R as more of a clean amp than a metal amp, but that's since there aren't any good demos of it anywhere, and I only hear it in Brett Kingman videos.

I dunno if i'd call it an out-and-out metal amp, more hard rock, but it has a fair bit of preamp gain. I'd say anyone using it as a clean amp is doing it wrong (though IIRC it does have pretty nice cleans for a high gainer).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
VH100R cleans can contend with the JSX, as far as "high gain" heads go. Not quite as good IMO, but still way better than the usual competition.

As for its gain, it's got a darker, heavier (more compressed) Marshall vibe. You'll definitely get where you want to go with a boost in front, though from what you described you may not want to use one. Opeth use(s/d) them, if you didn't know.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I still have the older VH100R (leather straps) and a buddy has the newer model and sonically, they sound the same.

Stock, the Cleans are very nice and the high gain can get brutal. With SCs at high gain, others may find the high Mids on the trebly side, although it really cuts at gig volumes! I installed RFTs and Tungsrams and this made it darker - perfect for SC high gain and a bit fatter with HBs. This goes through a 412 with V30s. YMMV
I know Opeth used one, but I somehow recall it was for the clean sounds. But yeah, the VH100 seems like a perfect amp.

Can anyone tell anything about the quality of the Verellen amps? They seem to have an option to order custom amps and that's pretty cool.
Quote by guitar/bass95
I know Opeth used one, but I somehow recall it was for the clean sounds.

yeah i think i've heard that too

but it definitely can get pretty high gain. not just as modern-sounding as some high gainers, but it has a fair bit of gain.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah i think i've heard that too

but it definitely can get pretty high gain. not just as modern-sounding as some high gainers, but it has a fair bit of gain.

I don't care about "modern", actually I write music that is heavily nature and folklore themed so I guess traditional sounding amp fits perfectly
i dunno if i'd call it traditional sounding... just more hot rod marshall than the modern brootal type thing.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i dunno if i'd call it traditional sounding... just more hot rod marshall than the modern brootal type thing.

Still, sounds good to me.
yeah
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Egnater Vengeance

I have this weird scheme with Egnaters, since I saw Egnater himself in one of their amp demo videos and he came across as kind of lame and now I feel uneasy with Egnater amps. But I should probably get over that
Quote by guitar/bass95
I know Opeth used one, but I somehow recall it was for the clean sounds. But yeah, the VH100 seems like a perfect amp.

Can anyone tell anything about the quality of the Verellen amps? They seem to have an option to order custom amps and that's pretty cool.

I don't own one, but I've played one extensively (the Loucks) and it was great. Didn't feel cheap in any way, I'd trust it to pull through. I mean, as far as you can judge build quality etc in a day, it certainly gave me the impression that the quality is up there with Mesa (comparing because I had a Mesa at that point in time) for sure.

I would really like to get one, but it's in that "money is no object"-range in my opinion, where you can virtually get anything you want.
Quote by I K0nijn I
I don't own one, but I've played one extensively (the Loucks) and it was great. Didn't feel cheap in any way, I'd trust it to pull through. I mean, as far as you can judge build quality etc in a day, it certainly gave me the impression that the quality is up there with Mesa (comparing because I had a Mesa at that point in time) for sure.

I would really like to get one, but it's in that "money is no object"-range in my opinion, where you can virtually get anything you want.

Yup, I probably will never have money for one. I'll just keep dreaming :') The Laney is a good option though. Something to look forward to
Quote by guitar/bass95
I have this weird scheme with Egnaters, since I saw Egnater himself in one of their amp demo videos and he came across as kind of lame and now I feel uneasy with Egnater amps. But I should probably get over that

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Seeing an old, balding man in a hawaii shirt looking like he wants to die while reviewing a metal amp does not leave the best impression
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?