Has anybody ever modded these into an Epi LP copy or a 335 copy (specifically a dot or sheraton)? I'm thinking hard about my next guitar and want one of these two shapes. Done a lot of reading and think it would be worth it to grab the guitar but put these pickups in it. I play through a Vox, AC1 model. Want to be able to get the sounds of anything clean to, to hendrix/thin lizzy overdrive, to guns/crue 80's stuff.

Gibson is a little out of the price range, which is why I ask. I figure buying a higher end Epi and replacing electronics will be close (yes I know hardware and stuff will not the the same either).

If anyone has done this or has clips of playing riffs like that through this equipment, it would be awesome. I've seen countless youtube clips of 335 comparisons - gibson to epi to hagstrom - but not seen them play this style of overdriven music I want to achieve, or with the addition of the pickups. The LP choices I've had better luck finding clips but would still like to hear opinions. Is the difference worth it? Will it make a world of difference, a small one?

Thanks!
isn't there an epi model which has those pickups stock currently?

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Paul/Les-Paul-Tribute-Plus-Outfit.aspx

ok so it doesn't have the plus in the bridge, but still.

they might be a little mushy for the 80s stuff.

personally i'd rather have a solidbody for heavier stuff.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Tribute + has the 57's in it with the 57+in the bridge. Does 80's stuff pretty well too. Of course I play mine through a Vypyr75 so it's easier to dial it in but the 57's a fairly versatile pups.

Edit: I agree with Dave, stick with a solid body for that stuff.
Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
Last edited by SGFAN4174 at Dec 21, 2013,
Quote by Dave_Mc
isn't there an epi model which has those pickups stock currently?

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Paul/Les-Paul-Tribute-Plus-Outfit.aspx

ok so it doesn't have the plus in the bridge, but still.

they might be a little mushy for the 80s stuff.

personally i'd rather have a solidbody for heavier stuff.

FWIW, I have hot 57s (these measure out at around 9.2Kohm) in the bridge of two of my guitars (both LPs). They're a bit hard to find, but Gary Brawer seems to have a stash of them, in part because he sets up guitars for Neal Schon up in the Bay Area, and this is Neal's preferred bridge pickup (which suggests they might be fine for '80's music). When Gibson produced a few Neal Schon Signature guitars, the customer guitars were solid body full thickness smooth neck heel (the Axcess guitars followed on the heels of these guitars and caused a bit of a rift between Schon and Gibson) with a Burstbucker in the bridge position. Schon himself preferred the hotted-up '57s in his personal guitars.
Last edited by dspellman at Dec 21, 2013,
Thanks for the advice everybody

Dave_Mc thanks for the link, I had forgotten about this model. Does seem to be what I'm looking for. I do plan on getting both a 335 as well as a LP copy in the future and both the first two posters are right, I would use the LP when I want to get into those heavier tonal ranges - I'm a big fan of the Darkness and love the tones they get with their Gibby's. Part of it is I know that sound is really pushing my amp to its overdriven limits so I've also been thinking of adding an overdrive pedal to my setup. How can you say no to a VOX AC model when you dial in that clean though? I sure couldn't

The 335 I would want to play my less overdriven stuff, like the Stones (Keith Richards is my absolute idol and I loved how he switched to 335's in the 2000's - he's already the reason I own a Tele and perhaps one day I'll do his mod and put a PAF bucker in my Tele too - and I would use it for that style and cleaner style music. I'm just torn on which one I want to buy first!

dspellman, how do you fine the tone of the your bridge pickup? I've actually read about Burstbuckers too and it was another pickup I'd consider
^ Oh yeah I mean if you're going to get a semi as well, then go for it. Just if i only had the one guitar and needed it to do that range of stuff, I'd rather have a solid-bodied guitar, kind of thing.

You might need a boost for your amp, too (or even a distortion pedal). I'm guessing that's a typo in your opening post, I guess you have an ac15?

Quote by SGFAN4174
The Tribute + has the 57's in it with the 57+in the bridge. Does 80's stuff pretty well too. Of course I play mine through a Vypyr75 so it's easier to dial it in but the 57's a fairly versatile pups.

Edit: I agree with Dave, stick with a solid body for that stuff.

Good spot, I didn't scroll down to the specs.

Quote by dspellman
FWIW, I have hot 57s (these measure out at around 9.2Kohm) in the bridge of two of my guitars (both LPs). They're a bit hard to find, but Gary Brawer seems to have a stash of them, in part because he sets up guitars for Neal Schon up in the Bay Area, and this is Neal's preferred bridge pickup (which suggests they might be fine for '80's music). When Gibson produced a few Neal Schon Signature guitars, the customer guitars were solid body full thickness smooth neck heel (the Axcess guitars followed on the heels of these guitars and caused a bit of a rift between Schon and Gibson) with a Burstbucker in the bridge position. Schon himself preferred the hotted-up '57s in his personal guitars.

They may well be fine for 80s stuff. journey probably isn't the heaviest/tightest of 80s stuff, but it's normally fairly distorted.

I was just giving the usual warning about alnico II.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by romaviolafan

The 335 I would want to play my less overdriven stuff, like the Stones (Keith Richards is my absolute idol and I loved how he switched to 335's in the 2000's - he's already the reason I own a Tele and perhaps one day I'll do his mod and put a PAF bucker in my Tele too - and I would use it for that style and cleaner style music. I'm just torn on which one I want to buy first!

I think Keef probably uses that standard Tele bridge pickup as much as anything. I'm not sure he even notices the humbucker's in there. Have you taken off the sixth string and tuned it to an open tuning yet? I've been tempted to pick up a cheap blond tele just to do that <G>. You're going to crack up, but I actually use an old Variax 500 set on the tele model on Open G to do Keef stuff. And it's right smack dab on the money. One further comment -- if you pick up one of the current model JTV Variax guitars, you can actually use the Line 6 Workbench HD software to "build" a model guitar with the tele bridge and a PAF neck pickup...

Quote by romaviolafan
dspellman, how do you fine the tone of the your bridge pickup? I've actually read about Burstbuckers too and it was another pickup I'd consider

I had Burstbuckers in one of the two guitars that got the 57s. If you get a chance to catch a Journey concert, I *think* he's still got the 57s quietly stuck in the PRS guitars he's promoting now, so you can hear it in person. He's had them in Gibsons, Tom Andersons, PRS, Yamahas, etc. I think it's a great pickup for that "soaring lead" sound with a chunk of delay, etc. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncOKcq52rYU )

You might also check out "Whiskey Women and Blues" on Piranha Blues ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VndQIrP4tHU ) where it gets used with a bit of dirt.
Came in here to reply, ended up watching the entire Journey concert.

Thnx Dspellman

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Came in here to reply, ended up watching the entire Journey concert.

Thnx Dspellman

Addicting. Arnel Pineda can sing his butt off. He can do Perry with ease, but he also brings a bit more masculine sound to Journey. Schon can play his butt off, can still burn with anyone, and every note he does is so clean and where it needs to be. One of the all-time best guitar players and yet seriously underrated.

I'm amazed at how much Deen Castronovo (drummer) can sound like Perry. He's been asked to sing more, but begs off ("I really just want to be a drummer"). He's got all the Perry range and is awesome as a harmony singer. Prototypical rock drummer, but Steve Smith has left him drum licks that make him work to keep up.

Jonathan Cain is still the big girl of the bunch when it comes to songwriting; he goes for the soaring, uplifting, majestic ballad, where Schon will sometime lean toward gritty rock, sometimes toward synthy stuff, sometimes even new age and jazzy stuff.

Ross Valory remains the goofball of the bunch, but he's anything but a 1-IV-V bass player. He's not quite an Entwhistle that dictates the sound of the band, but he's very much an influence on the overall sound.

Journey got an unjustified reputation at one point as being an overprocessed corporate recording band, but one time at a live concert will dispel that; like the Eagles, they could sing and play their asses off in your living room.
journey's awesome
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Brad Avery, former guitarist for Third Day, has Gibson Classic 57s in his Epiphone Les Paul Custom and he ROCKS!