Hey guys,

I've been recently looking into Avatar amps and their prices are probably the best I've seen in regards to custom amps. I was wondering what some of your experiences were with the brand. I'm looking at getting a 4x12 with 4 Celestion Greenbacks because I definitely love my midrange tones as well as my bass tones. If you have any other speaker suggestions they would be more than welcome! Also, I would love to hear if you have any suggestions for heads that would complement the cab. I would like to keep the cost of the head below $500 if possible. Many thanks to anyone who helps me out!
yeah. get one of thier 2x12s. smaller, more portable and versatile.

i would prefer WGS speakers which are similarly priced, however, with shipping 2+ speakers, they will be more expensive than celestions from Avatar.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Greenback and G12H30 speakers mix well, and they give a fuller sound than just the midrange of a G12m type speaker. the G12h30 will add some bass to the overall tone, this will give you the best of both worlds
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ agreed. I've only tried that combo in a 2x12 but I assume it'll give a similar result in a 4x12. EDIT: anything vintage-ish marshally should work well with those speakers. heck i like my laney gh50L with speakers along those lines.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I picked up an Avatar 2x12 loaded with a V30 and G12H30 and have been very happy with it. Mine is the older open back style, I want to get the new style back panel for it that can be open or closed back. I highly recommend the G12H30 if you're after a full low end, they mix very well with midrangey speakers. They sound great on their own as well, but sound the best when mixed with something like a Greenback to my ear.

Keep on the lookout for a used Avatar cab, I got mine for chump change
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
I picked up an Avatar 2x12 loaded with a V30 and G12H30 and have been very happy with it. Mine is the older open back style, I want to get the new style back panel for it that can be open or closed back. I highly recommend the G12H30 if you're after a full low end, they mix very well with midrangey speakers. They sound great on their own as well, but sound the best when mixed with something like a Greenback to my ear.

Keep on the lookout for a used Avatar cab, I got mine for chump change

I have the same combo V30/G12H30 and it sounds great, it's a closed back.

[..BLACKFIRE..]
Quote by Blackfire.
I have the same combo V30/G12H30 and it sounds great, it's a closed back.

That guitar looks like a Bitch
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I also should have mentioned that I'm in a band and will be playing live shows which was why I was leaning toward the 4x12 cab for the sheer sake of volume. In terms of live sound, would the G12H30/V30 combo still work well or are there others that would sound better in a live setting?
I use an avatar 212 live with no volume problems at all. As long as the speakers can handle the power of your amp, you won't have any problems with a 212.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Quote by Robbgnarly
That guitar looks like a Bitch

Yep just like my Ex-Gf...
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Quote by Tremolo Bum
I use an avatar 212 live with no volume problems at all. As long as the speakers can handle the power of your amp, you won't have any problems with a 212.

Is there any rule of thumb I should follow when looking for a head/amp for the cab?
Quote by thingswecarry
Is there any rule of thumb I should follow when looking for a head/amp for the cab?

Well, certain amps sound better with certain speakers. As far as power handling goes, you take the number of speakers in the cab times the rated wattage of the lowest wattage speaker in the cab. For example, if you had two vintage 30s in a 212 cab, the cab would be rated at 120 watts. Swapping one of them for a higher wattage speaker would not change the rating of your cab. However, that particular configuration would be enough for most heads and most people. If you play extremely loud, however, you would maybe want higher-rated speakers. In 412 cabs you have a lot more options because it's the lowest rated speaker x 4; most heads put out 120 watts or less.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Dec 22, 2013,
Quote by thingswecarry
I also should have mentioned that I'm in a band and will be playing live shows which was why I was leaning toward the 4x12 cab for the sheer sake of volume. In terms of live sound, would the G12H30/V30 combo still work well or are there others that would sound better in a live setting?

I only play at pretty low home volumes (and in that scenario the g12h30/v30 combo sounds pretty good) but I've heard people who know better than I do say that the g12h30/v30 combo isn't the best for live use, because the g12h30 is only rated for half the wattage of the v30. Consequently the g12h30 breaks up and the v30 doesn't, whereas the v30 sounds best pushed and the g12h30 doesn't.

That may well be overthinking things (I doubt it, I trust the guy who said that, he's a badass and knows way more than me), but it's worth pointing out. There are higher wattage g12h30-style speakers available (including the creamback from celestion) and if you want to go that way, that might make more sense.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by KailM
Well, certain amps sound better with certain speakers. As far as power handling goes, you take the number of speakers in the cab times the rated wattage of the lowest wattage speaker in the cab. For example, if you had two vintage 30s in a 212 cab, the cab would be rated at 120 watts. Swapping one of them for a higher wattage speaker would not change the rating of your cab. However, that particular configuration would be enough for most heads and most people. If you play extremely loud, however, you would maybe want higher-rated speakers. In 412 cabs you have a lot more options because it's the lowest rated speaker x 4; most heads put out 120 watts or less.

If there were 2 30 watt speakers, wouldn't the power handling be 60 watts and not 120? Or am I missing something in the equation?
Quote by thingswecarry
If there were 2 30 watt speakers, wouldn't the power handling be 60 watts and not 120? Or am I missing something in the equation?

You are correct that two 30W speakers would give you a total of 60W. But vintage 30's are actually 60W each
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Better than my plan, look at those perfect little dick suckin' lips!
Kid's a natural I tell yah!Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Fender Mexican Standard Telecaster
Hey I built a guitar
Quote by Steve Holt
You are correct that two 30W speakers would give you a total of 60W. But vintage 30's are actually 60W each

Ah okay I see now, thank you!