I have been playing guitar for about a year and I have been having lessons (every week or 2) and using JamPlay lessons too. I very keen on 60s blues inspired beat/pop music (Spencer Davis Group, Rolling stones, etc.) and softer stuff from the same era (Everly Brothers, Procol Harum, etc). I would like some advice on how I should divide my time between lessons, practice, music theory, learning songs, learning scales etc. or any general advice.

Also I have a bit of money I would like to spend on a nice guitar and I like the sound of the 60's music and so could anyone recommend me a brand and model for an amp and possible guitars that would help me achieve it. I was thinking a Gretsch falcon or penguin, no idea about the amp though, something with valves :-).
I don't really play much of that stuff so take what i'm going to say with a pinch of salt.

It's pretty much up to you how you practise. everyone is slightly different and you need to find what works for you- what makes you improve yet still keeps it fun and interesting.

That's not to say that people can't give you advice on it, because they can, but you need to take it all on board and then make your own mind up, kind of thing. I'll let the other people give advice on that.

I'll give advice on the kit. First things first, your best bet is probably to make a specific thread for the amp in the guitar gear and accessories forum (and put things like your budget etc. as directed in this post here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2 ), and then make another thread for the guitar (with similar information) in the electric guitar forum. There's no problem with making multiple threads if you're asking about different things.

off the top of my head, for the amp, something voxy (or even vintage fendery) would likely work well, and for the guitar a rickenbacker (though it's a bit idiosyncratic, you'd need to know that's the only type of music you'd be playing) or failing that probably a fender of some sort (strat, tele etc.). Gretsches might well be worth a try too, as you suggested, i haven't tried them as i have bad enough GAS as it is. EDIT: a rickenbacker is probably more for beatles-type beat music. for blues-based stuff like the stones i reckon a fender would be better. and a fender-style amp (just thinking of the stones here) might be better, too (though a vox can do it too easily).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 21, 2013,
I'd say follow what interests you and don't ignore what doesn't. A lot of people tend to ignore theory and harmony for instance because initially it seems boring which it isn't once you really begin to understand it's practical applications. Practice regularly too. The more you do, the quicker you'll improve. Don't leave big gaps between practice as what you've learned can disappear or degrade. Everything you've listed is important.
Best thing to do is find the hardest things in all the songs you have and make sure you master those. If any of that involves fast sweep arpeggios get ready for the long haul.