I am wondering what the best stuff is to start practicing and learning first I have learnt a C ,Am ,G and F but I struggle switching without muting strings etc i know that's just practice but I am struggling with using a pick I use my fingers instead and I also struggle hitting all the strings I miss strings especially the b and e and I am getting annoyed and want to sell my guitar already. (When I got my bass I could play 4 songs in a week I'm not used to this) and my fingers are huge and they squish out even using just the tippy tips of them.

Should I be trying something simpler or just give up now. If I can't use a pick without it just hitting the strings and stopping or sounding harsh (even with soft picks) then I don't see much hope.
C, Am and G are good chords to start with for a beginner. I would leave F until later.

A good exercise for changing between C and Am is to keep your common fingers down and only move the one finger that has to move. Common fingers are fingers that are shared between chords. So keep your second finger on your second fret fourth string down and your first finger first fret second string down. Don't lift them! Do that slowly and carefully until it starts happening all on it's own. You can practice changing without strumming and then later play one or two measures for each chord.

With picking don't use the pick flat against the string, but "slice" through the strings. This means going at the string at a slight angle. This will give a slightly mellower tone. Also when you are picking it's a good idea to rest your pick after picking on the adjacent string. The string your hand naturally moves toward. You can practice this on open strings.

Also get right on the tips of your fingers with your fingers making a nice arch toward the frets. Thumb position is also important. Keep it right behind your fingers, pointing toward the celing and NOT hooking over the top of the neck.

If you're looking for some more chords to play why not try a 12 bar blues? E7, A7 and B7. The B7 is a bit tricky, but not that bad. The progression is:

| E7 ' ' ' | E7 ' ' ' | E7 ' ' ' | E7 ' ' ' |
| A7 ' ' ' | A7 ' ' ' | E7 ' ' ' | E7 ' ' ' |
| B7 ' ' ' | A7 ' ' ' | E7 ' ' ' | B7 ' ' ' |

Another good one for common fingers in Em and Am. Don't move those shared fingers.

Hope this helps and keep at it!
Thank you I don't have that much patience with stuff I love getting stuff right quick I don't understand the concept of using a pick I don't get how to hold it still ive tried everything it sounds wrong moves around in my fingers and stuff it's a pain.

I was thinking maybe some nirvana songs to start with to learn all the way through first. And possibly gold on the ceiling by black keys. (Mainly stuff with power chords) don't know what to move onto after.

Plus I always think I'm playing well and I'm really not. Suppose I have to get used to it I can always play bass before I get worked up and come back to it thanks for the help.
The basic chords are probably C, A, G, E, D (all major) and E minor, A minor and D minor. Colloquially called cowboy chords.

If you can be bothered, stick at it- I'm not going to tell you to definitely stick with it, because everyone is different and I don't know how frustrated you're getting etc. (and you might be brilliant at other things). But plenty of guitar players struggle at the start- it took me ages to "get" even simple chords (I played piano and drums first), and I'm still not as good as I'd like to be. There's no law to say you can't practise other stuff too if you're just finding the chords tricky- bass like you said, or even maybe try some lead if you're finding bass not too bad. Power chords would be worth a try, too, they're arguably easier than those open cowboy chords and you can play a *lot* of rock and metal type songs with them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have got c Am and G fine just not quik switching I got power chords Is there a very good guide to playing with a pick because not using one don't sound overly great.
yeah switching will take time.

have you tried checking out youtube or the online lessons here? playing with a pick is pretty much just a matter of getting the grip right and then getting on with it that's what I do, anyway.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've tried online stuff ill just wait until my mate can tell me what in doing wrong for it to move around a lot and feel like in hitting solid objects with it. I don't like picks at all. Never used one on bass either. Only for one song.
yeah i suppose if you've always used your fingers a pick could be awkward. I've always used a pick for guitar. I'm guessing i struggled at the start with a pick too since i played piano before guitar but i can't remember much about it
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah I just moves around falls out or when it dont just sounds awful I just hold my fingers like a pick index hits down and thumb hits up. Merry Christmas everyone happy guitar/bass/piano and every other Instrument playing stuff.