Hey guys, so I've gotten pretty good at the guitar (in my opinion) and I wanted to treat myself to some guitar pedals after having finished exams.

I'm on a $200 budget and I've chosen the 3 pedals I'm going for: Delay, Tuner, Distortion.

I've chosen 3 to start off with and was wondring if there are better options to look at:

Boss DS-1 - $21 used
Boss TU-3 - $85 used
Boss DD-3 - $84 used

I'm going to mostly be playing music like Paramore, Skillet, Switchfoot, Hillsong
Bass gear:
-Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
-Boss Tu-3 Tuner -> Joyo Vintage Overdrive -> Joyo Vintage Ultimate Overdrive -> Ernie Ball MVP -> TC Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5 and a Joyo overdrive/distortion pedal, if you go used on the M5 you'll end up spending less than $150 (Or you'll spend about $170 if you buy both new). The M5 will bury any other delay pedal in the same price range (let alone the face that it has all the other effects on it).

However, if we're talking upgrades, you'd be much better off spending that money towards a better amp (If you want to go the modeling route but make a serious upgrade, selling your current amp/Digitech unit and $200 should get you a Peavey Tube Vypyr 60 and a Sanpera for it).
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
^I agree - you really wouldn't be getting the most out of your pedals with that Spider, anyway. I think a lot of guitarists start off on the wrong foot like that - they buy tons of pedals to try and get better sound and variety, but in the end they're really just trying to compensate for a poor amp. Pedals are much cheaper than amps and have a whole other kind of marketing so I can see why they would be the more attractive option, though.

However, if you'd rather learn this lesson on your own like the unfortunate many of us and go your way: there are other kinds of pedal brands besides Boss - I know Fender has a cheap tuner pedal - its not as nice as the Boss but it gets the job done. As for the delay, I think you would be fine getting a simpler, cheaper pedal than the Boss. I have a DeltaLab Delay and it covers the basics just fine. The DS-1 is a perfect first distortion pedal, though - cheap and great. Then again, this is if you are looking into individual pedals for whatever reason. If you really have a constrained budget, a modeling stomp box (like the M5 mentioned above) would easily cover all of these basics for $200.
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'd be playing live on the gear the church I play at provides which is a Vox AC15C1 mic'd with a Shure SM57. ops:

I'll look into the M5, thanks.

Edit: So I can just use the m5 as a tuner and delay pedal instead of buying two seperate pedals?

And the M5 only does one effect at a time, correct?
Bass gear:
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
-Boss Tu-3 Tuner -> Joyo Vintage Overdrive -> Joyo Vintage Ultimate Overdrive -> Ernie Ball MVP -> TC Nova Repeater
Last edited by itzkpanda at Dec 21, 2013,
For overdrive definitely check out the Joyo Vintage Overdrive and the Digitech Bad Monkey, two great pedals for the price
Delay; I recently picked up the digitech delay for my first delay pedal and it seems to do pretty much everything I want it to do (would like some thing which could do stuff like dotted eighths etc) so maybe look into that? Boss delays are decent, but you are paying for the name with Boss to some extent
You need a new amp, but for what your church has I'd get something like a Bad Monkey/TS-9 OD.
The M5 is nice, but it only does 1 effect at a time, so take that into consideration.

MF has the Modtone tuner for $29 new and it is a really nice tuner (if they have any left) or a Korg Pitchblack for $47
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
You need a new amp, but for what your church has I'd get something like a Bad Monkey/TS-9 OD.
The M5 is nice, but it only does 1 effect at a time, so take that into consideration.

MF has the Modtone tuner for $29 new and it is a really nice tuner (if they have any left) or a Korg Pitchblack for $47

Thanks - I looked at reviews of the Bad Monkey and people seem to say it's very underrated so I might choose that over the DS-1.

I might get the Line 6 M5 for a delay and tuner, and then a Digitech Bad Monkey which would take me to around $150.
Bass gear:
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
Last edited by itzkpanda at Dec 21, 2013,
hope you realize that pedals often don't sound very good with your amp. it is optimized to use the internal fx. save your money and get a better amp. pedals aren't really going to give you much of an improved sound and ay sound worse in some cases.
Isn't the Vox Ac15C1 a good amp?
Bass gear:
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
Quote by itzkpanda
Isn't the Vox Ac15C1 a good amp?

missed part where you mentioned that. thought you meant your line 6. as for a tuner get your self a clip on Snark seems like a better deal than a pedal. do you have a lot of tuning issues? if not then the snark is a cheaper option that can be just clipped on and guitar checked between songs. check the used section of your local guitar store as you ay find some great deals on better pedals.
Quote by NeverShade
Definitley get the dd7 rather than a dd3, for hillsong you want the tap tempo

Yeah, I was thinking of that too. That's why I was thinking of the M5.

Quote by monwobobbo
missed part where you mentioned that. thought you meant your line 6. as for a tuner get your self a clip on Snark seems like a better deal than a pedal. do you have a lot of tuning issues? if not then the snark is a cheaper option that can be just clipped on and guitar checked between songs. check the used section of your local guitar store as you ay find some great deals on better pedals.

It's OK.
I don't know, I was thinking of the snark since people seem to love it but I think the M5 is what I'm going for. Just because I can get it for $90 it seems like a good deal.
Bass gear:
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
If you pick up the M5 and you're playing P&W music, be sure to try out the particle verb and octo verb, both can make some pretty cool ambient sounds. It is only one effect at a time, if you wanted more you'd have to save up another $100 for an M9 (three effects at a time and a looper). The M5 can cover a lot of ground if you utilize the presets.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
I'll remember that, thanks.

And sorry to rebump this again but I was looking through cheap On pedals and the Joyo Vintage Overdrive came up. It's $33 new on Amazon or $25ish used.
Do you guys have any experience with it?
Bass gear:
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
I dont have any experience with it, but I failed the blind test with the original Tubescreamer. Try it. These joyo's are so close to the original there's no way you can hear the difference between the two.
Quote by itzkpanda
I'll remember that, thanks.

And sorry to rebump this again but I was looking through cheap On pedals and the Joyo Vintage Overdrive came up. It's $33 new on Amazon or $25ish used.
Do you guys have any experience with it?

I have it and I also have the Joyo Ultimate Drive, they both work and sound great.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
I learnt the hard way. I just spent $100 on an EHX Big Muff Pi while I play through a Fender Mustang. As good as modeling amps go the Mustang is the best I've played. Doesn't take too kindly to pedals though. AC15 should be good with pedals. Check out the EHX Big muff pi distortion pedal. New for around $100. Good pedal.
Quote by Blackfire.
I have it and I also have the Joyo Ultimate Drive, they both work and sound great.

Is there a big difference in sound between the Ultimate OD and the Vintage OD?
Bass gear:
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
Quote by itzkpanda
Is there a big difference in sound between the Ultimate OD and the Vintage OD?

The Vintage is a clone of a Tubescreamer, the Ultimate is a clone of a Fulltone OCD. Just my experience, the Ultimate will have more gain/distortion and generally sound meaner, while the Vintage will be more transparent and crunchy (although tubescreamers generally have a nice mid bump that helps you stand out without turning your volume up).
I see.
So for a praise and worship setting, would the Vintage fit the bill better?
Bass gear:
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
Quote by itzkpanda
I see.
So for a praise and worship setting, would the Vintage fit the bill better?

Most likely, especially if you already run the Vox a little dirty. Plenty of P&W guys use both though. I had versions of a TS and OCD pedal until I got my Mesa.
The Korg Pitchblack is a great tuner for cheap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by souperman08
Most likely, especially if you already run the Vox a little dirty. Plenty of P&W guys use both though. I had versions of a TS and OCD pedal until I got my Mesa.

Alright.

Looks like i made my decision: Line 6 M5 for delay & tuner and Joyo Vintage OD. Thanks everyone!
Bass gear:
-Fender Rumble 15 Amp

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000