So I just got promoted at my job. Most of the people I work with I have known from school or from working there for quite awhile. Most of my co-workers do not know i will be there boss now. They just know someone new is coming in since ours just left. How would you approach them on telling them that you are now their boss. How would you go about the Friendship/Boss Relationship since i have known most of them for more than 3yrs.

Edit: This is my first manager position at a job.
Last edited by johntomg93 at Dec 21, 2013,
unfortunately i have been down this road. I have done lots of podcasts and video productions with co-workers before i was promoted. It almost goes on a per-person basis. Some are cool and just roll with it and some i had to almost cut ties with on personal levels. It is usually not a problem if everyone acts like professionals, if not you will need to become slightly cold and impersonal toward them. For the most part just be professional - friends come and go, jobs come and go, women come and go. At the end of the night when you close your eyes it is just you judging your actions, stay true to yourself and everything else will work out.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
You need to be really firm with yourself about not letting personal matters get into work. Being friends is fine but you can't really maintain any relationship in which one of your employees may need to be responsible for you (eg. it's cool if you meet for lunch, it's not really cool if you gets trashed at a party together and they see you act a fool). This helps keep you or them from getting resentful/spiteful.

Don't talk about your employees to each other.

If someone gets too comfortable with your authority, do not lash out at them at work or stop being their friend, because they will only see you as unfit and continue to not take you seriously. The more respectful you are, the more respectful they will be.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Thanks for the advice guys much appreciated. Most of them are good workers except 1 or 2 so I don't think ill have much trouble in that area.
I would hate to be in that position. I'm good at taking orders but giving them out, not so much, especially to friends. But like everyone else said, as long as everyone keeps it professional it shouldn't be much of a problem.

You could always fire everyone and just hire new people and befriend them.
Last.fm So you can make fun of my taste in music
Youtube So you can make fun of my videos
Quote by bifteksupernova
I would hate to be in that position. I'm good at taking orders but giving them out, not so much, especially to friends. But like everyone else said, as long as everyone keeps it professional it shouldn't be much of a problem.

You could always fire everyone and just hire new people and befriend them.

Haha that option is fine with me.
Use your new found power as their boss to force them into having sex with you otherwise tell them that you'll fire them.
Quote by DardySon
Use your new found power as their boss to force them into having sex with you otherwise tell them that you'll fire them.

That is already happening lol, doesn't every boss do that??
fire those lazy ****s
I've had that happen and I told my friends that I will make them proud, do my best at the job because it would be disrespectful to them to get the job and then slack at it (basically throwing it in their face that they could have done better), and that I will not change into something i'm not.

But I also asked them not to put me in any situations where I have to suddenly be the bad guy, because by doing that, they are being the bad guy. I'm in a position now where I can really do whatever I can for them, if they support me, and simply put, don't make me look bad. It really always comes down to that; just please don't make me look bad and this place can be great now.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Just be professional. Not really an ideal situation but at the end of the day you have an obligation of sorts. They have their own obligations. Everyone knows what their job is, just be consistent and reasonable with the expectations and hold a firm standard. Make it clear from the start with your actions that there isn't going to be any pseudo-nepotism and that you'll be fair. Don't try to remain "one of the guys" and don't start abuse your authority and act like a dick. Just treat your former co-workers with respect and do the job you wish your last boss did.