I don't want a piece of glass, I want buttons on my phone! (mini rant and question)

Poll: Touch or Physical?
Poll Options
View poll results: Touch or Physical?
I prefer touch screen on my devices
86 61%
I prefer physical buttons on my devices
54 39%
Voters: 140.
Page 1 of 3
I'm looking for a new phone but it seems decent ones are hard to find without spending a month's rent on one of them.

And the freakin Iphone fad has really screwed me over, because I like phones with PHYSICAL BUTTONS and all there is now is pieces of highly technological glass that do what I can already do on a computer, but worse, or those phones for old people with really big numbers so they can see what they're typing.

There are a few "normal" good phones with buttons but you have to dig deep to find them (like a treasure) because they're no longer featured on those phone catalogs you get from phone stores.
Then some of those button phones are getting discontinued because apparently people prefer to type with their dicks on a piece of glass.

And the mp3 player, also getting fucked by the touch screen. It's hilarious, Apple made touch screens popular, but have an mp3 alternative with buttons. Geniuses!
(The ipod classic, not the shuffle. An mp3 player with no screen, FOR FUCKS SAKE WHO THE FUCK IS USING THAT? BATS WITH USB ENTRANCES UP THEIR ASSES?)
Every single mp3 player company that's going "touch" is ruining their product.

While we're at it, WHO CARES ABOUT THE PHONE'S WEIGHT AND SIZE? Are you afraid your arm is gonna fall off if you hold it long enough? Do you prefer smaller sized phones because they're easier to fit up your ass? (Even though "larger" phones aren't really huge)

/rant

I miss my Nokia 5300 Xpress Music

Is there anyway I can get a new one (no second-hand stuff)? I think it's been discontinued (wtf Nokia that was great phone! ) but maybe it's still sitting on a storage place somewhere?

If I can't find another one of those, what are some good "slide" phones (with buttons)? No blackberries or other qwerty phones please.
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at Dec 31, 2013,
Most slide phones are outdated and pretty bad. You can buy blutooth enabled cases that have slideout keyboards, but I'm unsure of the quality of those.

>WHO CARES ABOUT THE PHONE'S WEIGHT AND SIZE

people who carry phones in their pants
キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki
shred knows more about everything than anyone i think

Quote by IchiKurosaki
i hope we never meet shjred honestly i love you but im scared of you
Alternatively you could buy a god-tier Japanese phone. Most of those still have physical keyboards, although you'll be hard pressed to get one working outside of Japan.
Quote by madelyn22
why is this a forum on ULTIMATE GUITAR ?

It's the off-topic forum. Get off the internet, newfag.
キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki

Quote by IchiKurosaki
Last edited by Shredoftheday at Dec 21, 2013,
You get used to it. And it's better cuz no pocket dialing.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by lolmnt
You get used to it. And it's better cuz no pocket dialing.

This. I gave in and switched from a QWERTY Blackberry yesterday to a HTC and I was pretty frustrated at first, but now I've got the hang of it. The only thing I'm not a fan of is autocorrect, but unless you've got small fingers and godly accuracy you're going to have to use it most of the time - apps like SwiftKey also help with their more optimized keyboards and whatnot. I've gotten like 40% more accurate since using the app.

My concern/hypothesis is that autocorrect is shaping the way we use our language somehow, even though various algorithms track which words you use frequently, etc. this underestimates how someone's language can change (although I guess it would be tracking that change also). It'd be interesting to see a psychology experiment that investigated that.
キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki

Quote by IchiKurosaki
Touchscreen phones suck ass

I want one of those new flip phones that japs and koreans use
Quote by darkcheef
Touchscreen phones suck ass

I want one of those new flip phones that japs and koreans use

even japs are using smart phones now tho

http://www.kyoex.com/docomo-sony-so-04e-hatsune-miku-limited-edition-xperia/ dat miku phone
キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki

Quote by IchiKurosaki
i've had an ipod touch for 4 years now and i just hate it. i thought i'd eventually get used to it but i just can't deal with typing on that thing. with that said, my current phone is the biggest piece of shit i've ever owned. it's a blackberry curve and the thing has been ****ed since day one. i'd take an unusable touchscreen over this crappy thing any day tbh

I'm still using my nokia xpressmusic that I've had for about 6 years
still going strong

I also have a nokia 300 which is kind of semi-smartphone (still has normal buttons and a touchscreen), and I would be okay with switching to it but I superglued the back of this phone on ages ago and can't get the sim card out now
Quote by darkcheef
That looks awful

but so kawaiiii aguu :3 ^_^
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

There are plenty of phones still being produced without touch screens, if you really preferred buttons then you'd buy a phone with buttons.

Also, phones with buttons suck.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Shredoftheday
>WHO CARES ABOUT THE PHONE'S WEIGHT AND SIZE

people who carry phones in their pants

I carried my 5300 on my pocket, it was fine.
What companies are doing now is marketing their stuff to emphasize that it's 2 millimeters less thick! And weighs 20 grams less!

Really? I can fit the nokia 5300 in my pocket, and that phone came out 5 years ago. Then again, I don't wear skinny jeans...

OH! THOSE PHONES ARE TARGETED AT FUCKING SKINNY JEANS USERS!

I can barely fit my balls here, I can't afford to put anything thicker than a sheet of paper in my pockets
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at Dec 21, 2013,
Bitch my phone's so old I have both.

Suck it, recent smartphone releases.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by Minicaxotinho
I carried my 5300 on my pocket, it was fine.
What companies are doing now is marketing their stuff to emphasize that it's 2 millimeters less thick! And weighs 20 grams less!

Really? I can fit the nokia 5300 in my pocket, and that phone came out 5 years ago. Then again, I don't wear skinny jeans...

OH! THOSE PHONES ARE TARGETED AT FUCKING SKINNY JEANS USERS!

i wear skinny jeans and my phone is pretty thick lol

Quote by necrosis1193

i had that phone, rip
I personally don't like all these smart phones n shizzles, I only really want a phone to ring and text people. I don't even really want them to play MP3s or anything, though if I ever buy a cheap phone and it can play them, it's nice to have a song I like as a ringtone rather than those crappy default tones I spose.
I still prefer to have my phone and ipod as two seperate things. It makes more sense to me. If my phone and MP3 player are the same object and I lose it/it's stolen/it breaks then I can't contact anybody and I have nothing to listen to. On the other hand, if i lose my phone and I'm really far from home I can still listen to some music on the walk home

I guess the fact that people go out with their friends and spend 95% of the time staring at their phones is what makes me hate new phones that little bit more though rather than phones doing way more than I expect them to do.

With buttons, yea, I prefer them. I remember back when I was in high school where kids learnt the old art of texting without looking at their phone, a now impossible feat to achieve with touch screens. It was arguably more accurate as well since you couldn't accidentally brush another button because the screens where made for dwarfs and not fully grown adults.
Plus, new phones are delicate as hell. A Nokia 3310 could survive most natural disasters and man made destruction but if you even fart near a newer phone you have a 99% chance of it spontaneously combusting in your hand.

Now I have some cheap crappy £3 phone that I found in the deepest, darkest reaches of the Carphone Warehouse showroom (the creepy old man that sold it me also tried to sell me a 'Frogurt'). It texts and rings and that's all I need it to do. It has buttons and it takes me 1 button press to get to my contacts list rather than the 56 menus I had to go through with my last 'Smartphone'. It also doesn't abandon a call because my face touched the screen.

Though I bought that phone because I lost 4 expensive phones whilst out drinking within about 3 months...So it was more about saving money than an abnormal hatred of modern technology.

Quote by madelyn22
why is this a forum on ULTIMATE GUITAR ?

1) 'Ultimate-guitar' IS the forum (among other things). This is a thread, not an entire forum.
2) Just because the overlying theme of the site is 'guitars' doesn't mean the entire forum has to be guitar related.
3) You're obviously new to both the pit, the internet and forums.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Where's the "TS is a knob" option?

Get with the times, not everyone is so br00talz that they need buttons to function. The skinny jean argument makes me thing you're one of those jean jacket metalheads that thinks it's cool to have a phone made before 2004.

That coming from an individual who isn't really fond of touch screen phones to begin with.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Didn't read the thread but aren't they working on some crazy magic shit that can make buttons appear on the glass and stuff
Quote by megano28
Where's the "TS is a knob" option?

Get with the times, not everyone is so br00talz that they need buttons to function. The skinny jean argument makes me thing you're one of those jean jacket metalheads that thinks it's cool to have a phone made before 2004.

That coming from an individual who isn't really fond of touch screen phones to begin with.

Buttons are great.
The skinny jean argument was a joke and a way for me to combine my dislike for skinny jeans (especially the coloured variety for guys) and incredibly thin and light touch screen phones.
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at Dec 21, 2013,
Touch screens are among the worst things to happen to personal technology in living memory.
I still have an old slidey Samsung from 06 and it hasn't failed on me yet.
Which is more than can be said for 2 iphones, 2 HTCs and 3 ipod touch.
I prefer actual buttons. I absolutely HATE HATE HATE capacitive touch buttons. ****them****them****them. Touch screen, I could take or leave.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by necrosis1193

(Invalid img)

I had the Milestone 2 that followed that one - still had the slide out QWERTY, all the smart phone stuff and a touch screen.

Best phone ever* - they should bring it back.

* except the Nokia 3210 obviously. Who needs a smartphone when you can have Worm?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
I had the Milestone 2 that followed that one - still had the slide out QWERTY, all the smart phone stuff and a touch screen.

Best phone ever* - they should bring it back.

* except the Nokia 3210 obviously. Who needs a smartphone when you can have Worm?

One Summer years ago, some friends, their Dads and myself built a working trebuchet that was large enough to launch a Citroen 2CV.

So naturally, we tested it with a 3210. It landed in a large pond.

Still worked.
I don't have a smartphone for the same reason I want one: I'd always use it. It'd be a good investment, but I hate seeing people glued to their phones, even when they're out with their friends and I'm scared that it would happen to me. I've been shopping around for a nice phone with buttons, maybe a built-in MP3 player with a regular 1/8" headphone jack...
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
I don't understand how people break smart phones... I've had my Ipod touch for almost 4 years now and all it has is a small dent from once when I left it in my right pocket while I was playing saxophone. I've been through two smart phones (Only reason it's two is because our contract ran out and we upgraded) and my current one that I have had for almost 8 months hasn't even been scratched

I guess it's just all in the way people handle them. I honestly don't think I have any friends with their screens intact.

EDIT: That being said, I understand the whole argument about people being glued to their phones. It kinda kills me whenever I see people in my own family spend more time looking at their phones than just having normal conversation. (Kinda being a hypocrite here, but I try not to do it.)
Minecraft: Sonic
League of Legends: CinoSRelliK

Currently Playing/listening to/Reading:

Kerbal Space Program,
Binding of Isaac
Opeth - Orchid
S. by Doug Dorst
The Martian by Andy Weir
Last edited by S0n1c '97 at Dec 21, 2013,
Quote by bubble keys article
Right now, there's an audible noise when the keys appear. It should be silent in the final version.
No I would definitely leave that on. You're gonna want that BLOOP.
Quote by Weaponized
Didn't read the thread but aren't they working on some crazy magic shit that can make buttons appear on the glass and stuff

Apparently one of the next innovations is going to be holographic keyboards that project out of phones or tablets for you to type on. I'd imagine it more practical on a tablet.

My mom is the same way, she sends tons of emails and stuff for work and so she says she "needs" a physical keyboard. I've been using an iPhone for almost four years now and there's no way I'd be able to go back to a keyboard phone.
Last.fm So you can make fun of my taste in music
Youtube So you can make fun of my videos
I literally don't even care because I don't use my phone for anything except calls.
Calls that hardly ever happen.
Picture this:

Touch phone:

- Someone texts you in the morning, you were sleeping and you're hungover.
- You open your eyes to read the message. IT BURNS!
- You have to keep looking at the bright screen to type, and that takes more time than necessary because you keep hitting the wrong letters.
- Your head hurts, you can't go back to sleep, and your friend replies "lol"

Physical alphanumeric phone:

- Someone texts you in the morning, you were sleeping and you're hungover.
- You squint and see what's the message (minor burn).
- You close your eyes and type your message.
- You go back to sleep. Awesome.
Why the hell would you bother texting someone if your were hungover? I wouldn't know, the generations of drinkers in my family have made me immune to hangovers 95% of the time, with the other 5% being a ~30 minute ordeal
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
I'm still using a samsung intensity 2, I hate touchscreens for typing. I also despise those who are glued to their phones constantly. Touchscreens are neat but having usable internet (that's not shitty and slow like older phones had) is simultaneously the absolute best and worst advancement ever. It's useful, but is seriously abused by most.
Last edited by tukk04 at Dec 21, 2013,
Page 1 of 3