When you play a pinch harmonic, you're basically cutting the string length in half which results in the doubling of the frequency.

As there is no real way to increase the string length, is there some other way to produce the exact opposite of a pinch harmonic ?

Like - playing a note that is one octave BELOW ?

And I am NOT talking about pedals of any kind.


As far as my physics knowledge goes, frequency is determined by the weight of the string, the string tension, string length. As it's impossible to change these, is it possible to directly slow the string down so that it's frequency gets halved ?
Given how the physics of sound works to my knowledge I'm going to go ahead and say no.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

You're not necessarily cutting the string in half, it depends where you pick. Different fractions of string length will give you different harmonics, different pitches. However you're only ever decreasing the amount of string you'll never get a pitch lower that the fundamental, they'll only ever be higher.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

The only ways I know to drop the pitch is to either use a whammg bar, play with the tuner while a note is sounding, or bending the neck. But none of that is like a harmonic. Like Steven says you can only go up in pitch because you can pretty much only reduce your string length.
I'm an

I'm Good at Math
Last edited by J-Dawg158 at Dec 21, 2013,
That simply wouldn't make logical sense. If you double the string length you'll get an octave lower. A harmonic increases the frequency by a certain ratio and has it duplicated along the length of the string.

The opposite of a harmonic would be to halve the frequency without changing the string length, so that only half of the wave occurred on the same length of string. In theory it would be possible to achieve the equivalent frequency physically with continuous precise manipulation of the string, i.e. making it vibrate manually, though I can't imagine you can manage that sort of frequency with your hand unless you have superpowers - perhaps a machine could manage it. However, it would be physically impossible and illogical for a string to do this on its own, by means of creating some special reverse-harmonic because it would require the string to vibrate at a frequency half that which its tension and thickness make it inherently predisposed to.

So in short, you're right.
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Dec 21, 2013,
the only thing I could think of are the bell-like resonant stuff you can do on a Third Bridge type guitar like a Mustang. But that isn't the same thing as harmonics.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.