My husband has wanted to learn guitar forever. He pics up things by ear - unbelievably well. I wasn't sure where to start so I got the following gear: Marshall 1959 HW plexi, 1960 AHW&BHW with a 1959 Gibson Les paul. Is this equipment sufficient for the beginner to grow into?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Can I be your husband?

+1.

I have a cat though... do you like cats?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by marialahti
My husband has wanted to learn guitar forever. He pics up things by ear - unbelievably well. I wasn't sure where to start so I got the following gear: Marshall 1959 HW plexi, 1960 AHW&BHW with a 1959 Gibson Les paul. Is this equipment sufficient for the beginner to grow into?

He's lucky to wife you.
Why do I have the suspicion this is a total BS thread
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Why do I have the suspicion this is a total BS thread

Maybe we should do a spidey derail just in case?
well come on, your talking $50,000+. Not that that doesn't happen to some, I highly doubt it in UG
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
well come on, your talking $50,000+. Not that that doesn't happen to some, I highly doubt it in UG

Well, now that you put it that way dropping that much money and going all "is this sufficient?" is a tad suspicious.
Quote by guitar/bass95
Well, now that you put it that way dropping that much money and going all "is this sufficient?" is a tad suspicious.

Exactly

It's cold as hell in Finland right now huh
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Exactly

It's cold as hell in Finland right now huh

Yup :S I'm wearing two pants and three shirts and I'm still going full snowman.
Send it to me, I'll test it to see if its good enough.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Guys I swear I am not a troll. I really did buy this stuff for my husband. He is very deserving of the best. It is a reissue les paul (custom). So while it does cap $13000, it is far below $50,000. I have a reasonably lucrative career and was trying to give him a chance to chase his dream. I just didn't know if the quality of what I bought followed the price tag or not….
Not trolling. I am new to this site and wanted to make sure I didn't get taken by a salesman.
That's a lot of money to spend on gear for anyone else considering how personal gear is. Now, if he's just starting, he's gonna feel like an obligated fanboy regardless if he WOULD'VE appreciated it because of what it does or not.

You either tried way too hard or you're filled with tasty grape jelly.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Dec 21, 2013,
lol

No that stuff is terrible, what you really need is a 6505.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by marialahti
Not trolling. I am new to this site and wanted to make sure I didn't get taken by a salesman.

is it a real 59 lp or a reissue? I still think you spent way too much for a beginner.

A 1959 is loud as all hell pushed into OD with two 4x12 with greenbacks If you are not a troll, I'll swap places easy
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The guitar is perfect. Always better to learn on a good guitar then a bad one.

The amp is very good, but you might wanna change that one if possible.

You haven't told us what genre of music he wants to play, and that amp is a quite "specific" one.

With amps, there is no single "best" one, just a lot of good ones that all behave and sound differently by quite a margin.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
We're talking about a beginner here. 1959 Marshall is way more than adequate. I understand your concern about the genre specificity, but still it's a 2000$ amp for a beginner.

And Maria, we thought that you'd be a troll because that gear is waaaaaay too much for a beginner. There are guitarist here (like me) who study and compose music, occasionally perform music and have spend a lot of their money on their gear, who still wouldn't even dream about getting what you got. If your husband is a beginner, you could have gotten him perfect gear for 500 euros. Most beginners start with <100e gear, and even most semi-professional musicians have gear worth less than 2000 euros. dropping that 15000e or whatever the price was is admirable but ridiculously unreasonable.
Quote by Offworld92
lol

No that stuff is terrible, what you really need is a 6505.

Yeah definitely 6505, and swap the pickups in the Gibson for EMG's

\m/

Give the woman a break.... Who cares if he's a beginner, I'm guessing he too has a lucrative career and therefore knows how to work hard at something, be it his career or learning guitar. Marialahti, what you bought is fine and I'm sure your husband will be stoked. He should enjoy many years of playing from that guitar and amp. Even if he doesn't 'achieve his dream', I've never met anyone that started playing guitar and regretted it
Well I still call BS, a 59 LP will run you $50,000+ on a good day. My buddy has a 57 LP and it is worth $30,000+ (and it has been refinished) and it is not even the year that is wanted as much.

So yeah, BullShit
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Well I still call BS, a 59 LP will run you $50,000+ on a good day. My buddy has a 57 LP and it is worth $30,000+ (and it has been refinished) and it is not even the year that is wanted as much.

So yeah, BullShit

She said it's a reissue, not the real thing.

You can get the reissue for like 6 grand, depending on options.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
She said it's a reissue, not the real thing.

You can get the reissue for like 6 grand, depending on options.

Oh, I missed that.

OK so not confirmed BS right now, just plausible BS
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by 7thString
Give the woman a break.... Who cares if he's a beginner, I'm guessing he too has a lucrative career and therefore knows how to work hard at something, be it his career or learning guitar. Marialahti, what you bought is fine and I'm sure your husband will be stoked. He should enjoy many years of playing from that guitar and amp. Even if he doesn't 'achieve his dream', I've never met anyone that started playing guitar and regretted it

Thank you! I have to admit, I was pretty let down by the atmosphere of the responses I was getting. I was a classically trained musician and truly believe that an instrument can make a difference.
So you went to a store and randomly ordered some high end gear?

If you guys have so much money and you are classically trained then I guess that is why we are confused. 'Usually' when people come on here, anyone really, and make a thread about what they bought and then ask for everyone's concurrence, it usually does not work out well.

We have some information in the Stickies designed to help people get the most out of their buying decisions.

It seems if you had wanted real help/advice you would have come to somewhere like this beforehand and got some opinions.

I personally do not care for any of the Plexi reissues and I think that guitar is a waste of money. Does that make you feel better? Probably not.

Guitars are very personal items that need to be played and checked out first. Maybe he can return it if he needs to and play some other guitars at great length. Just like any other instrument really.

That full stack you bought is more for epenis good vibes than something practical to learn on. It will be louder than hell and not very useful in a home environment. I should know, I have something similar

I also have a very practical practice amp that I play a lot and it makes me want to play it more because it is more home friendly and has built in amp models and effects and such. That and my favorite guitar cost me $600.
Closing this thread, because, if what you bought is true, it doesn't matter what we think. It's totally awesome that you want to support his interests and starting with that kind of gear will start him off with some amazing gear.

You said you have a lucrative career, so I think whether you bought him an expensive guitar in this case is irrelevant. Sure, it might be a bit much for a beginner, but if you're willing to spend the money, and obviously think your husband is worth it, then that's awesome!

True, the amp might not cover a lot of genres, but clearly you can afford expensive things, so him building a small amp collection shouldn't be an issue... heck, if he needs more sounds, he could just go out and buy a POD to plug into the amp and play around with tons of effects. A cheap solution, and he can still use all the gear you got him.

Sure, a guitar is a personal preference, but since he's a beginner, he has no experience in what he likes. No amount of playing guitar at a store is going to help here - He needs to learn how to play before he can be picky. You got him one of the most iconic guitars ever made, which I'm sure is going to excite him more than whether it has a C shaped neck with compound radius and stainless steel frets. Who cares!

As far as the size of the amp is concerned... I have a feeling that if you can spend $10k+ on a Christmas gift that you aren't going to have to worry about annoying your neighbors with loud things. There's something that most guitarist find awesome and inspiring about playing a blasting amp - practice amps are cool, but if you're in the situation where low volumes aren't really necessary, then I don't see how that's a problem.

I think the problem most of the posters here have is they can't really relate to your situation. Personally, I think it's very cool what you've done and your husband will be ecstatic to receive the gifts. Don't listen to the negative comments everyone else is saying!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com