I'm looking at coming up with a new practice setup, and some sort of drums to play to would be great. Looking at the two possible setups:

Boss DR880 - drum machine

PROS: standalone. I could plug in my guitar and use the drum machine function.

CONS: a bit pricey.

Computer rig - some sort of interface, maybe a POD and then something like EZDrummer to play along to.

PROS: maybe a bit more flexible. More guitar tones at my fingertips. Could be used for recording as well.

Cons: laptop speakers are shitty, probably would look at more powerful speakers just because I do prefer an open setup to headphones.

Input? Thoughts on a guitar interface?

EDIT: Fixed formatting. Lol, was a copypasta from reddit.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Dec 21, 2013,
Interested in this as well

Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
The computer rig is more convenient, flexible, and multipurpose and unless you find a particularly good reason to get a drum machine (drummer-less gigs maybe) the computer rig is a better choice.

Guitar interfaces give you a variety of decent tones right out of the box, and they're pretty good for recording on a budget.
Peavey 6505+ Head (Left)
Line 6 Spider IV HD150 Head (Right)
Marshall 1960A 4x12
ESP DV-8
Ibanez RG T42DX
Agile Hornet Pro 727
ive used boss drum machines. having it hooked up all the time to a pa speaker, is actually very convenient.
especially for playing along.

but i can see where having a computer program is easier
for recording.

so i guess it depends what you do most.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Well, I really like my Pod UX-1 that comes with Pod Farm. I really need to get the metal pak that is available. Great for plugging guitar, headphones, or a power mic. Just upgrade your monitors. I recently downloaded EZDrummer from Sweetwater. It is real cool but I honestly have not played with it much lately. It comes with 400 or something predone drum tracks. If you have a touch screen computer, it is even more fun

Cool, so seeing that you have a computer rig, you just run the POD software and then run whatever drum program right? How is recording with that POD?

I'm scoping out some POD 2.0's on CL right now. Looking for the right dude to lowball.

Quote by Br0c00ler
The computer rig is more convenient, flexible, and multipurpose and unless you find a particularly good reason to get a drum machine (drummer-less gigs maybe) the computer rig is a better choice.

Guitar interfaces give you a variety of decent tones right out of the box, and they're pretty good for recording on a budget.

Don't anticipate drummerless gig, this is strictly for practice only.

Quote by jj1565
ive used boss drum machines. having it hooked up all the time to a pa speaker, is actually very convenient.
especially for playing along.

but i can see where having a computer program is easier
for recording.

so i guess it depends what you do most.

I have a PA, not sure if it works.
But yeah, playing along at somewhat of a level of volume is always nice.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Dec 21, 2013,
If it just for practice, you could just tap your foot for free. Its about the same as a drum machine if you compare both to playing with a breathing drummer. A metronome is equally monotonous but just tapping your foot is a lil more intuitive.

Recording is different but drum machines are a deterrent to practice Imo from my experience. Ymmv.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by forsaknazrael
Cool, so seeing that you have a computer rig, you just run the POD software and then run whatever drum program right? How is recording with that POD?

I'm scoping out some POD 2.0's on CL right now. Looking for the right dude to lowball.

I have not run EZDrummer with Pod yet, or anything else for that matter, but yeah - that is what you do. I think ultimately you want to know if all of this works well together with headphones and latency and such. That I can't really answer unfortunately.

PS: You know my limitations so I don't mind sharing this with you I'm sure you can find much better demos on the web.
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/311ZOSOVHJH/music/play753839
^Always impressed with POD clips haha. Always surprised that the tone is pretty good.

Quote by lucky1978
If it just for practice, you could just tap your foot for free. Its about the same as a drum machine if you compare both to playing with a breathing drummer. A metronome is equally monotonous but just tapping your foot is a lil more intuitive.

Recording is different but drum machines are a deterrent to practice Imo from my experience. Ymmv.

Lol, I definitely play better when I leave keeping rhythm out of my hands. Less for me to think about.
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Always impressed with POD clips haha. Always surprised that the tone is pretty good.

Lol, I definitely play better when I leave keeping rhythm out of my hands. Less for me to think about.

I fully understand. I hate my drum machine (boss dr550) and just felt like bashing all of 'em. Good time is a learnable skill though. My foot>dr550 (for practice).

More consideration than recommendation.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Dec 22, 2013,
There is the Boss DR 3.
Its less than the 880 and is programmable (Although in the 3+ years I have had it, I have never bothered to program anything into it ).
It also has a Bass
Have you tried Liquid Rhythm as a software option for a drum machine? You can try their 30-day trial version. It has a lot of intelligent, built-in capabilities, an easy-to-use interface, high-precision syncopation and groove making. It can be used for anything from basic drum loops for jam tracks to serious studio production quality tracks.
http://www.wavedna.com/product-information/

Also, you can check out this sample amateur recording I made using Liquid Rhythm.
http://youtu.be/Z7N8VZaTm5s