Page 1 of 2
Has anyone ever reacted badly to a gift you got them?

Last Christmas I got my mum a picture frame. I found it in a second hand shop. It was beautiful and had a lot of meaning I thought. Despite being from a charity shop it was not cheap either.

It was a well crafted frame of a springer spaniel mother and its puppies. In the past we had a springer spaniel in the family but she died. I thought the frame would be an awesome gift.

Did she like it? NOPE! She didn't understand it at all, she was upset because she found out I got it from a charity shop too! Pissed me off.

So instead of getting an original meaningful gift this year I asked her what she'd like and she told me she wants some tiny bottle of anti-aging cream that costs £7 each.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
we did Dirty Santa a few years ago. It was like $20 or under and I waited til the last minute and ended up getting an iTunes giftcard. When it came time to draw for gifts mine was the first selected and everyone started talking crap saying it wasnt a real gift. bitches. when the rest were opened it was all garbage like candle holders and coffee mugs. everyone ended up gunning for my shitty little giftcard in the end
I couldn't figure out what to get my sister one year, so I got her bacon-scented soap.

She was none too please, but everyone else thought it was hilarious.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
My mom always says she doesn't know what she wants but then gets mad when we don't get her what she wants. I don't get it man :/
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
My mom always says she doesn't know what she wants but then gets mad when we don't get her what she wants. I don't get it man :/

#women
Quote by muffinduck01
I couldn't figure out what to get my sister one year, so I got her bacon-scented soap.

She was none too please, but everyone else thought it was hilarious.

That sounds pretty hilarious

Quote by metal4eva_22
I don't think I could ever get upset by a present.

My gift for the UG secret santa is terrible so I understand if he gets upset though lol

I'm just now to the age when I'm actually buying people things so I have yet to experience it. I was such a stupid twat as a kid though. One time my aunt bought me a video game that I already had and when I opened it I said "aw man I already have this one." I think she felt bad. If that happened now I would just keep my mouth shut and use the gift one instead.
my sister keeps saying she wants to go skydiving but wusses out. so her birthday which was earlier this month i got her vouches to do it. she cant back out now and since theres 2 vouches her boyfriend who hates hieghts has to go to. i keep posting skydiving fatalities headlines to his facebook cos im nice like that.
Slipknot, that's not that bad compared to some of the shit I've heard kids say upon receiving gifts. "I already have this" is probably the least offensive negative gift reaction you could give, and honestly if I got someone something they already had (unless it was just me being completely negligent) I'd feel pretty confident in my ability to buy them things.

I'm sure I've said some awful shit as a kid as well, but my brother still does that when he gets stuff and he's 19. He's got a mental impairment but he's very highly functioning, just doesn't understand things like controlling his id. He still thoroughly inspects his gifts a few days before he opens them to see what they might be.
When I was little I used to get mad and cry
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
So now that I'm a grown up with a grownup job and a grownup salary I buy so much awesome shit for my family I'm sure they feel like asses because the stuff they get me and each other isn't even half as good. No one has ever reacted badly but sometimes I find out they aren't using the shit I got them because they think it's "too nice". Dammit, I didn't buy you some awesome shit so it can sit on a shelf I'd rather you **** it up somehow than never use it.
Listen. I'm sorry.
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
When I was little I used to get mad and cry

We all did stuff like this. Kids throw fits when they don't get things they want, there's no reason to look back and feel ashamed.
Quote by slipknot5678
I don't think I could ever get upset by a present.

My gift for the UG secret santa is terrible so I understand if he gets upset though lol

I'm just now to the age when I'm actually buying people things so I have yet to experience it. I was such a stupid twat as a kid though. One time my aunt bought me a video game that I already had and when I opened it I said "aw man I already have this one." I think she felt bad. If that happened now I would just keep my mouth shut and use the gift one instead.

use the gift one and sell the old one... or use the old one and sell the new one. Either way that's just a bad situation to be in. That's why you always have to ask somebody if they have the gift you're giving them already before you give it to them.
Quote by Rockford_rocks
We all did stuff like this. Kids throw fits when they don't get things they want, there's no reason to look back and feel ashamed.

yeah maybe in america buddy
I still feel guilt about not being able to conceal my disappointment at presents I received as a kid. Back then, we were below the poverty line so there wasn't much they could get. I can vividly remember their disappointment at my own.
Quote by ehbacon
use the gift one and sell the old one... or use the old one and sell the new one. Either way that's just a bad situation to be in. That's why you always have to ask somebody if they have the gift you're giving them already before you give it to them.

From my experience, people usually give you a piece of paper from the store that lets you trade it back for something else when they give you a game/book/CD, in case you already have it. And with clothes as well, because they might get the size wrong

Anyway, I got mad when I was 10 and my dad got me a FIFA game and I hated football. Eventually the game got me into football...
Quote by sickman411
From my experience, people usually give you a piece of paper from the store that lets you trade it back for something else when they give you a game/book/CD, in case you already have it. And with clothes as well, because they might get the size wrong

Anyway, I got mad when I was 10 and my dad got me a FIFA game and I hated football. Eventually the game got me into football...

Which FIFA was it?

Quote by metal4eva_22
Quote by Nero Galon
Which FIFA was it?

2002 for the PS1.

Also, I meant because my dad got me a FIFA game.
Last edited by sickman411 at Dec 21, 2013,
Quote by Rockford_rocks

bullshit. past infancy, i never threw fits because a present wasn't to my liking. sure, i wasn't the best at hiding my emotions, so if i didn't like a present i might look somewhat crestfallen, but i wouldn't dream of being such an ungrateful little shit.
Quote by Rockford_rocks

nah
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by ginger ninja102
my sister keeps saying she wants to go skydiving but wusses out. so her birthday which was earlier this month i got her vouches to do it. she cant back out now and since theres 2 vouches her boyfriend who hates hieghts has to go to. i keep posting skydiving fatalities headlines to his facebook cos im nice like that.

Oh my lord.
The other day, my sister was talking to my parents about what present she is thinking of getting. All she asked for was to receive money off them so that she can donate that money to her church. My parents went berserk at her. They told her that whatever they give to her, she use it for her own self-interest.

I wouldn't consider giving the money to a church a particularly good way to be charitable, since it goes for spreading a message that I disagree with, but why are my parents so angry? If being charitable brings her joy, and since she would technically own the money, what is it in their business how she uses it? Shouldn't they be happy that my sister is happy to give it away?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 22, 2013,
because they're not giving her unconditional cash, they're giving her cash with the caveat that she spend it on herself and enjoy herself.

whenever my grandpa has given me a gift of cash, he says something like, "spend this to upgrade your room, or on food, or to go out and have a good time."

i'm sure your parents, especially if they're not religious, would rather see their money go towards their daughter being happy than be given to an organization with billions of dollars in the bank

and don't say her giving away the money will make her happy, because that's obviously a different thing
Quote by progdude93
bullshit. past infancy, i never threw fits because a present wasn't to my liking. sure, i wasn't the best at hiding my emotions, so if i didn't like a present i might look somewhat crestfallen, but i wouldn't dream of being such an ungrateful little shit.

yeah, seriously. Its not like we're entitled to these gifts, I can't imagine throwing a fit because someone gave you something you didn't like.
Quote by Joshua1207
yeah, seriously. Its not like we're entitled to these gifts, I can't imagine throwing a fit because someone gave you something you didn't like.

+1

I'm happy to get a ****ing dollar nowadays.

I'm pretty greedy though
ayy lmao
Quote by progdude93
because they're not giving her unconditional cash, they're giving her cash with the caveat that she spend it on herself and enjoy herself.

whenever my grandpa has given me a gift of cash, he says something like, "spend this to upgrade your room, or on food, or to go out and have a good time."

i'm sure your parents, especially if they're not religious, would rather see their money go towards their daughter being happy than be given to an organization with billions of dollars in the bank

and don't say her giving away the money will make her happy, because that's obviously a different thing

I know, but who the hell cares? It doesn't matter in what way that gift makes my sister happy, or even what the gift is in the first place. Why should giving gifts have an obligation? Why does it matter if giving the money away makes her happy in a different way?

My parents are not religious, but surely they can understand what it means to their daughter to give the money she rightfully owns away for a cause she is passionate about.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
THEY care. and while i wouldn't necessarily do the same, they have a pretty good reason. and that reason is that they're giving that money to your sister so she can have a good time, relax, de-stress, etc. when she gives that money to church, that's not happening. she might feel somewhat good about it, but it's not accomplishing their aim.

you're acting like they have any sort of obligation to give a gift, when really they can give a gift with conditions if they want to.

it's pretty similar to giving cash to a relative who does drugs and saying "don't spend it on drugs." (not in that drugs=church) they're both gifts with conditions. the only difference is that you don't approve of this particular condition.
Ughhh, this thread reminded when I was seven and started crying after receiving my birthday present, cus the lego ship I got was the same my friend already had
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

My parents are not religious, but surely they can understand what it means to their daughter to give the money she rightfully owns away for a cause she is passionate about.

Uh... say what?
Quote by progdude93
THEY care. and while i wouldn't necessarily do the same, they have a pretty good reason. and that reason is that they're giving that money to your sister so she can have a good time, relax, de-stress, etc. when she gives that money to church, that's not happening. she might feel somewhat good about it, but it's not accomplishing their aim.

you're acting like they have any sort of obligation to give a gift, when really they can give a gift with conditions if they want to.

it's pretty similar to giving cash to a relative who does drugs and saying "don't spend it on drugs." (not in that drugs=church) they're both gifts with conditions. the only difference is that you don't approve of this particular condition.

The bolded part pretty much made your comment redundant.

And the money is the grand sum of £20 ffs, it isn't like they're giving half their life ****ing savings away.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
No it doesn't. You missed the point, which is that you can definitely give people conditional gifts and that's fine. The difference is that you simply don't approve of the condition your parents made. But that's irrelevant, because it's not your money, and it's not her money. It's their money, and they can make whatever conditions they want. If you don't want to fulfill them, don't take the money
My mom's side of the family had a white elephant today, and I got a Phil Robertson doll for it. It got plenty of laughs until my dad chimed in and said he'd take it because he actually likes that show. He had no idea that the guy had been kicked off the show. A debate over whether or not he should have been kicked started after that, even though I was fairly sure beforehand that everyone there would agree that he deserved it .
And the money you're making through doing your job isn't owned by you, it is owned by the company who is giving it to you, under the condition that you work for them. And the house you are currently living in isn't owned by you, it is owned by the architect that built it, under the obligation that you pay for the value of the house.

I'm done here.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
damn you're slow.

the difference between a job and a gift is that you fulfill the conditions of the job before you get paid. at which point the payment is OWED to you, and your employer has the DUTY to give it to you. if you think your parents have any DUTY to give you a gift, or they OWE it to you, you're a spoiled ****ing brat who doesn't deserve a gift.

sounds like you don't deserve any gifts

i'm glad you're done here.
if you think your parents have any DUTY to give you a gift, or they OWE it to you, you're a spoiled ****ing brat who doesn't deserve a gift.

You must really get off over twisting arguments into what they aren't, don't you?

Consider it my personal gift.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I liked it better when you were done here.

But in order to say that parents shouldn't have the right to impose whatever conditions they damn well please on a gift, you MUST believe that they owe you gifts. Otherwise, what right do you have to bitch about their conditions?

It's always great how some entitled people don't realize how entitled they are.
Me and my step siblings had this one time where my uncle gave us these bags for christmas with the little tinsel to like wrap the gift inside the bag. Well to be a smartass he put like the little 5 dollar deer whistles in it to be a smartass. When we opened it up we were all disappointed and pissed off. He then told us to look into the bottom of the bag and we all had 20 dollar bills. He laughed his ass off at us....Prick
Quote by Anarchy66
Me and my step siblings had this one time where my uncle gave us these bags for christmas with the little tinsel to like wrap the gift inside the bag. Well to be a smartass he put like the little 5 dollar deer whistles in it to be a smartass. When we opened it up we were all disappointed and pissed off. He then told us to look into the bottom of the bag and we all had 20 dollar bills. He laughed his ass off at us....Prick

sounds like a cool guy
One year we bought my mom a bookmark with lizards printed on it.
She didn't like it at all, and it hurt my feelings.
Page 1 of 2