I've had a strat plus since the mid 90's that I really like. That said, the middle position on the 5 way selector seems to lack volume compared to the other 4. So much so that I never use it. Is this normal or should I be looking for a fix?
Do you have a greasebucket/tonebleed on the treble pot? If not, I highly suggest it. It'll smooth out the volume jump you get from switching to the bridge pickup. Adjusting the height of that middle pickup might also help as well.

The middle pickup is definitely my favorite in most Strats. A little nuance and volume knob work and you can get just about all the sweet spots you need.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
does your guitar have Lace Sensors in it (these are the original pups)? some strat pluses have all gold which have the same output values while the deluxe series didn't. many of the later ones feature a red in the bridge, silver in the middle and blue in the neck. if that is the case the silver has far les output than the red and blue so there would be a loss in volume.
Yeah, what made me think about that middle pickup position is someone else posted here regarding how cool the middle position was in some high gain situations. I don't have anything special on the tone pot (it is all stock). It is equipped with the original lace sensore pickups.

I am wondering now if I have been missing that middle pickup all these years. Maybe I should take it to a tech?
Quote by nonjonron
Yeah, what made me think about that middle pickup position is someone else posted here regarding how cool the middle position was in some high gain situations. I don't have anything special on the tone pot (it is all stock). It is equipped with the original lace sensore pickups.

I am wondering now if I have been missing that middle pickup all these years. Maybe I should take it to a tech?

the tone pot should have a slight click at the half way point this engages or disengages the added circuitry. I rarely use this feature on my strat plus. if you bought the guitar 2nd hand it may have been disconnected as well. that really shouldn't affect the volume all that much either way.
I bought the guitar new in 96 I believe for right around $500. Baby blue with a maple fretboard and the lace sensors. Most of the time I use the first, second and 5th position on the selector switch. The third (middle position) really lacks in volume, so I just do not use it. Seriously diminished sound. Much of my early time was spent on a Les Paul and I would use the strat some, but about 5 years ago I started spending a lot of time on the strat. I suppose that is what has taken me so long to get here with regards to this issue. I am aware of that click on the tone pot and will experiment with it. That said, would that click only effect the middle pickup?
Quote by nonjonron
I bought the guitar new in 96 I believe for right around $500. Baby blue with a maple fretboard and the lace sensors. Most of the time I use the first, second and 5th position on the selector switch. The third (middle position) really lacks in volume, so I just do not use it. Seriously diminished sound. Much of my early time was spent on a Les Paul and I would use the strat some, but about 5 years ago I started spending a lot of time on the strat. I suppose that is what has taken me so long to get here with regards to this issue. I am aware of that click on the tone pot and will experiment with it. That said, would that click only effect the middle pickup?

no the tbx circuit is mainly for the 2 and 4 position I believe. might want to look that up though. unless the middle pup is way lower than the other pups then you really shouldn't have a huge volume loss. I only use my middle pup for clean kinda acoustic sounds which isn't often.
Monwobobbo, good call on the Laces. I forgot those were in the plus!
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
put your finger on the 12 fret look and see if the strings on middle pick up is adjusted lower from the strings than the other two pick ups ..... on my strats the middle pup is closer to the strings than the neck to balance out the volume , something easy to check and adjust
i wonder if the TS lowers the middle pick up like so many strat players do so they don't constantly hit it with the pick. if so, raise it back up.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by JustRooster
Monwobobbo, good call on the Laces. I forgot those were in the plus!

thanx I have one and recommend lace sensors all the time so easy to remember.