Well.. I'm kind of in a hard financial situation right now and I need to downgrade to just ONE, mid-tier, 750-900$ guitar with a fixed bridge so I can switch around my tunings.( I have been playing for 10 years and have amassed quite a collection of high end guitars in the past)

I've pretty much already settled my choice on midnight blue Epiphone Les Paul prophecy.

Does anyone here have one? Could you recommend it as a solid guitar with a good sound for metal ?( I'm not trying to go for anyone's sound. I'm more into getting "my" sound.) What i'm looking for is clarity. I play mostly metal rhythm guitar, some of it lightning fast (think rust in peace) and I need indivudual note for my rhythm shredding, and a powerful sound when a power chord is held. I need it to stay in tune, and feel solid on the stage as i will be doing a lot of gigging in 2014. I've been messing around with my roomate's stock Epiphone G-400 and i've been quite happy with the way it's sounding and playing, i was thinking this quality and feel would be perfect if it were a les paul with emg's.

I have owned guitars such as

ESP custom shop
several USA jacksons
several USA gibsons
several USA Fenders

so I know it's not going to live up to those standards

but still, looking at this guitar, it looks like I will get everything I need without having to upgrade anything, at a great price. i'm not too picky. If a guitar stays in tune, feels solid, has a half-decent feel after being set up, i'll be able to make it sound good. does epiphone deliver here?

Thanks any thoughts would be appreciated or suitable alternatives to this model in the same price range.

TL;DR - Looking for a good guitar with

-Thick 50's LP style- Neck
-Good sustain
-Note Clarity
-Good intonation
recommend this?
Last edited by trashbeast at Dec 22, 2013,
It's a rock solid player. I had one of the first models that came out. EMGs and that solid body were awesome together. I definitely stand by it for all of it. Had to down size in order to upgrade my others. So the epi was the sacrificial lamb so to speak. If I had the bones to get another I would, maybe even the explorer one.
The LP prophecy doesn't have a 50's style neck. It has a super thin, almost Ibanez Wizard-style neck. So it probably isn't the guitar you're looking for.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
I play metal. I do not own an ex, but i do own a gx first run, the coil tap version. And by far it has greatly exceeded my expectations, very fast neck, and awesome action, mine does not have emgs, they are dirty fingers pups, one tone, one push pull volume. Its all personal preference, but i sold my gibson and jackson after playing this. Hope this helps.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The LP prophecy doesn't have a 50's style neck. It has a super thin, almost Ibanez Wizard-style neck. So it probably isn't the guitar you're looking for.

Thanks for the heads up.

Maybe just an Epi LP Standard with an EMG upgrade then? Seems like the prophecy is made with a lot better quality parts, would have better intonation etc. though.
Quote by trashbeast
Thanks for the heads up.

Maybe just an Epi LP Standard with an EMG upgrade then? Seems like the prophecy is made with a lot better quality parts, would have better intonation etc. though.

The bridge it uses is only the standard locktone bridge. Still a pretty good bridge for a guitar of that price, but the Epiphone Standard and Custom guitars generally are same except for the cosmetic differences. It's just that the Prophecy guitars have 24 frets, a graphite string nut, way thinner (and satin finished) necks, fancy inlays, a fancy quilt maple top and EMG's stock.

The majority of those things are upgrades only from a subjective standpoint. Fundamentally it is a standard LP custom.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 23, 2013,
Have you considered the Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus? I've heard a lot of good things about it. You could change to EMGs but it does come with Gibson USA pickups stock. It also has a long tenon set neck which "I think" is similar construction to Gibsons. The neck profile on it is a also listed as 60's D slim taper which isn't 50's baseball bat but it's not super thin either.
If you're in a financial bind and you have a collection of high end guitars, why are you purchasing a mid-range one?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Dec 23, 2013,
Quote by JustRooster
If you're in a financial bind and you have a collection of high end guitars, why are you purchasing a mid-range one?

I don't, anymore. I have been selling them off month by month to get out of said financial bind... highest end thing I still have is my RR24 and now I need to sell that, too. If you really must know.