Considering economy picking obviously is superior in all cases, why would you? If anything, wouldn't it facilitate bad picking technique considering the extra energy expenditure?
economy picking is alternate picking. It's just with a down stroke or upstroke when changing strings?? I mean even if you economy pick you still need to alternate pick .
Quote by kingking22
economy picking is alternate picking. It's just with a down stroke or upstroke when changing strings?? I mean even if you economy pick you still need to alternate pick .

You're right. I was thinking more of 'strict' alternate picking. For example: when coming down from the D string to G with a downstroke, you cross the G string so you can pick it with an upstroke. With economy picking you would simply pick the G string after the downstroke on D string with another downstroke in the G one.
Because there is a sound difference, that's why. It's like saying: Considering alternate picking is obviously superior to down-picking in all cases, why would you down-pick? Well, because there's a sound difference.
baab
Quote by My Last Words
Because there is a sound difference, that's why. It's like saying: Considering alternate picking is obviously superior to down-picking in all cases, why would you down-pick? Well, because there's a sound difference.

I never thought about that; can you give any examples?
Well, think about the fluid and smooth sound of sweep picking. I'm saying that because the difference between alt picking and economy picking lies in the fact that when you're economy picking, you're basically doing mini-sweeps when crossing strings - hence the fluid and smooth sound. It's a minor difference in sound but certainly noteable.

Also, to elaborate on another aspect of your question (stole this from another thread):

Economy picking will yield greater speed, in the long run, if you really work at it.

I've actually never seen any evidence to support this...

Agreed. The only difference between alternate and economy picking is when you change strings, so logically, the only time you could plausibly make a case for economy picking being faster is if you're crossing a lot of consecutive strings, at which point there odds are that most people would be using mini-sweeps rather than trying to use strict alternate picking (unless you're Petrucci or Junior)

^ +1 to both the above posts.

While you might be faster changing strings your speed on one string will be exactly the same, so a constant run of 16ths for example won't be any faster economy picking because you won't be able to speed up any notes on the same string and thus you play the passage at the same max speed as if you alternate picked it.

(https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1582592&page=1&pp=20)

Conclusion: Learn both.
baab
Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFlMNRIJuEc

You can pretty clearly hear the sound difference; the alternate picking version has much more snap to each attack.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You have to learn both but note that none of them is superior to the other,they have slightly different sound,the first is more hardcore and aggressive and the second more smooth and legato-like .

Its also a good idea to learn alternate picking first and get at least decent at it before you move to economy picking.The whole difference between them is when changing strings..in economy you just sweep to the next string and with one motion you get two notes basically.

From what i have realised its more important to get good at inside picking and outside picking( that occur to both alternate and economy) and dont bother yourself with the strictness of the matter.Some line are impossible or super hard with alternate while some others sound really sloppy with economy.Its more about the economy of motion,relaxation and aim you attack the next note than anything else.Also after a while you realize that incorporating hybrid picking to certain cases makes also other stuff that are impossible with strict alternate or strict economy possible.

Take Eric Johnson for example....he uses everything to create different tones....some lines he wants to epmhasize more he play only...upstrokes!!!(most players play only downstrokes there) for his fast and smooth pentatonic runs of five and 6 note sequences he uses economy picking.Slave with alternate all you want,its impossible to get them like he does without some sweeping motion along the way...and when he goes for his open chord voicings or larger interval skips he uses hybrid picking or just fingers alone.

So conclusion...use everything but dont learn everything at the same time.Slave with alternate a couple of years then move on to sweeping-economy picking and then add hybrid for larger or simply unplayable interval skips....but its a process and it takes time .
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFlMNRIJuEc

You can pretty clearly hear the sound difference; the alternate picking version has much more snap to each attack.

This is the first thing i thought of also when comparing alternate picking and economy picking. There is quite a clear sound difference to the trained ear.
Quote by PunchSlap

We won't need any empirical data to make the conclusion that economy picking is more effective. It obvious that the shorter the distance to one string is, the faster you're going to reach it and thus pick it.

Only on uneven-notes-per-string licks, that is.
baab
Quote by PunchSlap
We won't need any empirical data to make the conclusion that economy picking is more effective. It obvious that the shorter the distance to one string is, the faster you're going to reach it and thus pick it.

No one's arguing the theory; the theory is sound. The point is, however, that no one seems to be able to find any evidence of the theory holding true in the real world, it all seems to point to economy and alternate being exactly as effective for speed once it gets down to the thin end of the wedge.

The fastest pickers in the world seem to be pretty evenly spread between alternate and economy picking and at the tops speeds anyone can seem to measure the economy and alternate picking camps are equal.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Alternate picking is also much more widely applicable and thus for the majority of players (due to time constraints) it's wiser to work on it than economy picking.

Also, take a lick such as (the Paul Gilbert lick):

---------12------
12-13-15----15-13

Even though this lick contains changing strings, it is easier to alternate pick it (especially as economy picking it will result in the lick starting on the same stroke as it ends on).
Last edited by Anon17 at Dec 24, 2013,
Economy picking is 'clearly superior' if your sole goal is speed. Tight staccato-ed Gilbert style licks are (in my humble opinion!) ideal for alternate picking. Personally I generally prefer the sound of alternate picking, though I still practice and use both!
I was bad with usernames at age 12. Ah woe.
Quote by IgnoreThis
Personally I generally prefer the sound of alternate picking, though I still practice and use both!

Pretty much this
Yes, you have stated some valid points. Both about the sound and of certain licks. I understand now.

Time to go practice alternative picking then