Hey guys, I recently bought a Boss NS-2 with a view to reducing the noise from my Line 6 Uber Metal and Boss CS-3 Compressor (two pedals well known for being very noisy).

My arrangement goes like this

Guitar -> NS-2 Input -> NS-2 Send -> CS-3 -> Uber Metal -> NS-2 Receive -> NS-2 Output -> Amp

So my problem is this, with the NS-2 in the loop and inactive, I get a horrendous squeal but with the NS-2 active it cuts the squeal out but kills the tone. With the NS-2 out of the loop the two pedals seem to work fine with no squeal & no problems. The CS-3 on its own is fine.

I can minimise the squeal by turning the sustain/level/dist knobs down, but that kills my tone aswell. I've tried to swap cables/guitars/power supplies etc but nothing seems to work.

My suspicion is I may have a problem with my Line 6 Uber Metal. My next attempt is going to be putting a different distortion pedal (Metal Muff or something) in the chain to see if the squeal remains.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Hey man,

Threshold - 3 o'clock
Decay - 7 o'clock
Reduction Setting

Worth noting that I've tried messing around with all these settings and nothing sorts out the squeal. The squeal is only present when the NS-2 is in the loop but Inactive i.e. the third knob to reduction but the pedal switch is in the "off" position
take that junk out of that loop, just run guitar>ns>cs>ubr>amp or try the ns in the loop of your amp if you have one..
Quote by Silver77
take that junk out of that loop, just run guitar>ns>cs>ubr>amp or try the ns in the loop of your amp if you have one..

Hi Silver, What are you referring to when you say "Junk"? The NS is connected as it's meant to be (it has 4 cable ports, Input Output Send Receive).

My Amp does have an effects loop, I might try that - thanks
Quote by Dreadiroth
Hi Silver, What are you referring to when you say "Junk"? The NS is connected as it's meant to be (it has 4 cable ports, Input Output Send Receive).

My Amp does have an effects loop, I might try that - thanks

He just means that try to run it straight without the pedals in the loop. That way you'll see if the loop is damaged.
Quote by guitar/bass95
He just means that try to run it straight without the pedals in the loop. That way you'll see if the loop is damaged.

Ah I understand. If I put the NS in the loop in that way (before the effects pedals) how will it reduce the noise? Surely it should be after the pedals. I've tried this and it doesn't work without the effects loop (just going purely Input/Output).

I assume this means the pedal is defective? I was under the impression you had to have the effects loop in use for it to work.
What amp do you have? Does it have an effects loop of its own?
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Running the NS-2 in the 4-cable method essentially removes all unwanted noise in your entire chain, excluding the power-amp.

What you do is run your guitar into the NS-2 input then use the send and return from the start of pedals before amp input and the last pedal in your effects loops goes into the NS-2 return. From here the output of the NS-2 goes into the return of your amp effects loop. Works a charm, I do it.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Last edited by Lavatain at Dec 22, 2013,