Hello.

I plan on signing up for berklee online music classes and would like to know how to record the sound of my gibson coming out of my marshall combo.

I know i need a microphone. My budget for that is 100$. What else do i need? I saw theres some big box looking thing. I can spend another 100$ on that.

Is there only one way to record?

Can i use my computer for any of this?

Thanks for any replies, ive never needed to record anything until recently and i dont know anything about it. I would like to learn about it
Have you read the Interfaces sticky? That will tell you all you need to know about the different options you have for recording.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Shure SM57 microphone (buy only from reputable source - there are fakes about)
PreSonus AudioBox USB Audio Interface or similar
Short boom mic stand to allow you to position the mic correctly
Mic lead
Suggest you use Reaper software (free to download and try)

But read the sticky too!
If you want to keep the cost down I'd recommend the PreSonus AudioBox Studio. You get everything you need - condenser mic, software, cables, headphones, USB audio box - for £154. I think that's around $250. Maybe not the best quality of gear all around, but it's not bad, and it'll get you started very quickly and easily.
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
See, I'd recommend not even getting a mic yet. Get an interface and use free amp modeling plugins.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
thanks for the replies, i made a new thread for a few more questions i had that are different from this.
If you still want that advice, the very cheapest thing you can do is plug your guitar straight into your computer (through a reduction into a 3,5 jack) or, what I do is that I bought a POD HD500 and through it I can record via USB...
Quote by Darth Crow
If you still want that advice, the very cheapest thing you can do is plug your guitar straight into your computer (through a reduction into a 3,5 jack) or, what I do is that I bought a POD HD500 and through it I can record via USB...

Plugging a guitar direct into the mic port is terrible advice. No good things will come of it and you may damage the input as it isn't designed for what it is being used for.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Well I did just that with my old notebook, before I bought that POD, and it worked well enough. Of course the sound wasn't anything amazing, but if I didn't have an amp at hand, I could easily just plug the guitar into a distortion pedal and then into computer and play....