So I've been put on portering duties at work this Christmas which means I'm on my feet for 8/9 hours a day for the next 2 weeks.

I've got some worn in safety shoes, walking socks, and insoles, and still after 4 hours my feet are in pain, so much that my 30 minute long lunch break does nothing for them.

By the time the full 8 hours are up I'm basically immobile due to foot pain.

Anyone got any tips to stop my feet hurting so much?

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Cut off your feet
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quit your job. I'm serious, I've had to do the same because some people just don't have feet built for certain things. It's not something you wanna **** around with.
I have flat feet and when I first started at my job my feet would be absolutely dreadful by the end of the day. As time went by, it got easier and now they never bother me after a shift. I know that's not very helpful
PM me for newts
Dr scholls for work inserts I hear are good? Try different inserts?

If it were 2005 this thread would just be 3 pages of icy hot. But muscle rub for arthritus and things like that might help? A beer after work if you drink, that always helped my back.
Last edited by stratkat at Dec 22, 2013,
My feet hurt after long shifts. *shrug*

I always considered it a minor inconvenience and result of working hard like a sore back
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Get better shoes or quit.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by stratkat
Dr scholls for work inserts I hear are good? Try different inserts?

If it were 2005 this thread would just be 3 pages of icy hot. But muscle rub for arthritus and things like that might help? A beer after work if you drink, that always helped my back.

You just have to cowboy up and get it over with. You should get used to it soon enough.
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
Holy shit @ that icy hot meme back in the day.

yo ts

put icy hot on it.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I take it you've never worked a real job before TS? Smoke some weed and drink a beer after work until your body gets use to actually doing something all day.
Quote by Crofty89
You just have to cowboy up and get it over with. You should get used to it soon enough.

Pretty much this.
My job requires 4am starts, 6-9 hour shifts, day in day out and dress shoes.
My feet feel like childbirth by the time I get home.
Or get some of these

They're so ****ing nice to have in the bottom of work boots.
Suck it up princess. You think you're the only person in the world that is on their feet all day at work?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I massage my feet during breaks. I'm still pretty sore after my shift is over but it's not as bad as it used to be.
Quote by Wormholes
I take it you've never worked a real job before TS? Smoke some weed and drink a beer after work until your body gets use to actually doing something all day.

Well I did the same job in Summer and Christmas of 2012 but my feet have never got used to it, it's worse than spending all day stood up in a lab with goggles on for sure.

Quote by Acϵ♠
Suck it up princess. You think you're the only person in the world that is on their feet all day at work?

No, obviously not, if I did I wouldn't have made the thread since no one would have been able to help me.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Last edited by EndTheRapture51 at Dec 22, 2013,
Go barefoot for a week. You think you're ****in hard cuz your feet hurt? Most people in the 1800s didn't even HAVE shoes. Harden the **** up ts you silky skinned little bitch.
Find the right shoes, they're the best investment in your life. For me it's Wolverine work boots, I can stand and walk around in those all days without my feet getting cold or hurt.

Consider getting two pairs of the same and switch them out during your lunch break, the soles will work better that way, especially for soft soled stuff... Running athletes do something similar to this to make their shoes last longer.
I eat bananas vigorously

BUTTS.

To the pit because i don't feel like doing real life.
Quote by AtaBorMan
Get better shoes or quit.

You might not be able to do anything; shoes might not even help. Stores are usually concrete floors with cheap plastic tiles cemented over them. No matter what you wear, eventually anyone's back and feet are going to hurt on a concrete floor for eight hours.

Ask anyone that has done traffic duty in construction after a day of standing on concrete or cement. There is no answer except for quitting and getting a different job.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Quote by mystical_1
You might not be able to do anything; shoes might not even help. Stores are usually concrete floors with cheap plastic tiles cemented over them. No matter what you wear, eventually anyone's back and feet are going to hurt on a concrete floor for eight hours.

Ask anyone that has done traffic duty in construction after a day of standing on concrete or cement. There is no answer except for quitting and getting a different job.

Or a concrete car park in my case.

Seriously though I've been on 12 hour long hikes that have hurt less than this job.

Quote by vayne92
TS got his first job.. How cute.

I've had this job seasonally for 2 years now I'm just wondering if the pain ever goes away.

Last edited by EndTheRapture51 at Dec 22, 2013,
Say no to gravity ts.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by EndTheRapture51
So I've been put on portering duties at work this Christmas which means I'm on my feet for 8/9 hours a day for the next 2 weeks.

I've got some worn in safety shoes, walking socks, and insoles, and still after 4 hours my feet are in pain, so much that my 30 minute long lunch break does nothing for them.

By the time the full 8 hours are up I'm basically immobile due to foot pain.

Anyone got any tips to stop my feet hurting so much?

I don't know what portering is but I work in a warehouse which means I run-walk all day. I'm extremely flat footed and developed a lot of pain, gel inserts for my work boots helped a lot, they're like $13 at the pharmacy.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Where do your feet hurt?
Arches or outside of foot -> Get arch support
Heels -> Heel inserts

After work or during your break, take your shoes off, get a broom handle (or some other sort of smooth pole) and roll it back and forth under your sole to massage it. Use Arnica gel on your feet and eat a banana each day to help prevent cramping (as well as drinking lots of water).
If you find you have blisters developing or threatening, sleep with your feet raised to reduce any swelling.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

^ It's just the entire foot that hurts.

Quote by VanTheKraut
I don't know what portering is but I work in a warehouse which means I run-walk all day. I'm extremely flat footed and developed a lot of pain, gel inserts for my work boots helped a lot, they're like $13 at the pharmacy.

Portering is basically moving things around, 90% of the time it's taking trolleys from the car park up to the shop but also occasionally baskets and plastic bags. I've got good safety shoes and gel insoles but they really don't help for such a long amount of time.

A good set of inserts can do a lot of good but ultimately you just have to get used to it. Granted some people just have bad feet and will never get used to it.
I have flat feet and I used to get a lot of foot pain when I had to start wearing steel toe boots for work. Now I can go a whole shift on my feet and my feet just kinda feel tired.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!