Thoughts on Shure SM57 + Focusrite Scarlett 2i4? What else do i need to record?

Hello. I dont know much about recording, i recently needed to learn how to record my gibson / marshal combo. Im in the process of that now.

So far from UG ive learnt

I know i need to mic the amp. The Shure Sm57 seems good for that.

I know i need some audio interface, the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 seems good for that.

How do i connect this stuff? Where can i learn how? I believe i need XLR cables, what ones are recommended, and what other cables do i need.

Im going to need some program on my computer. I believe reaper will be ok for that. Do i buy it once and i have it for life, or is it once a month etc? Also, where can i learn to use this program and how to use it to record my audio.

Ive read the stickies
Thanks for any replies
To be honest, the stickies should have answered most of your questions.

1. You don't /need/ to mic an amp. You can run right into the 2i4 and use virtual amps like Peavey Revalver or IK Multimedia Amplitube (Amplitube has a free version) in Reaper.

Reaper it's buy it once every 2 version updates. They've been on V4.x for well over a year so the license time is a very long time.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I see. Thanks for that help.

Do the cables i need come with the focusrite? what cables do i need to get started with everything?
I assume you have headphones of some sort. Just grab a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter at your local electronics shop.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Have a look at the eleven rack. I don't know what your budget is like or what you're trying to accomplish exactly, but it can get you some great sounds and it's reasonably priced considering it comes with Pro-Tools. I recorded several guitar tracks that were used on a television series with it.

In term of mics the sm57's are good. Audio-Technica makes equally good mics (imo) for less than half the cost though.
So i just need my computer, some headphones, and my guitar if im using the 2i4. but if i want to mic it, i need a mic as well and an xlr wire? is that right?
Quote by Geetar32C
So i just need my computer, some headphones, and my guitar if im using the 2i4. but if i want to mic it, i need a mic as well and an xlr wire? is that right?

You'll be using the 2i4 no matter what, but if you run right in all you need is a computer, headphones (with an adapter) and your guitar (plus cable, of course).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Definitely mic your amp if you can! If you're happy with your sound it'll be much better than amp sims etc.

You'll need: 57, small boom stand (to stand the mic on), XLR cable into your Scarlett. I'm not 100% sure what the deal with reaper is, but it'll either be free or you pay a one off.