Looking at getting an amp (the Peavey 6505 is currently what I'm looking at) but I'll need to get it used for it to fit my price range. Are amps a safe item to buy used? And what should I look for when buying used amps?
I have bought my last 3 amps used and all were great. I did have some issues with my Marshall that would have been a $300+ fix (but I have family that does amp work).

I advise buying used 90% of the time. But condition is a big give away of how well some one physically cared for it, but not the internals. Use every knob on the amp and make sure they all function properly and don't make un-nessisary noise
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah, i'd trust buying used amps 9/10 times. However, i'd only really collect them myself, as you can test that they work. Sometimes, they may develop faults, but
A) this could happen when you buy it new and
B) you saved money by buying used so in most cases you can then afford the repair.
i buy almost everything used.

PSN: reldask
I've bought hundreds of amps used, most sight unseen. Just need to know what questions to ask and what to look for.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I've bought hundreds of amps used, most sight unseen. Just need to know what questions to ask and what to look for.

Hundreds? I'm not sure if that's an exaggeration or not...
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by tas38

Knowing Derek, it's not.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I have 7 amps , not a one was bought new ..... they all look mint and work great , a couple of my older amps I did have a ground circuit added to the A/C plug ( 2 prong converted to three prong) still didn't cost much .... it's hard to buy new with the deals out there used
Personally I would only buy something new if it was a REALLY good deal or you absolutely wanted it brand new. Other than that you can get gear in excelent quality for a fraction of the price if it's used.
As reassurance: I own a 5150 block letter (which is actually older than me) and it's in perfectly usable condition. 5150s/6505s are pretty much indestructible.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by tas38

Not exaggerated, unfortunately
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I don't think there's anything inherently bad about getting a used amp - I've bought my first ones used. Here are some tips:

- It's best if you can actually play it before buying (vs. getting on ebay). A store may sell something on consignment, but that will cost more. If in the US, Craigs List would be another good choice. Starving musicians will usually take less than the asking price, especially if you dangle cash and are willing to walk (ie, you're willing to wait for a better deal!).

- Test everything. All knobs turn and aren't noisy, it sound clean (no noise), works soft and loud. Check the reverb and both channels - don't just test the things you're most interested in - check everything! If there's a headphone jack, bring headphones. You might want to bring along *your* guitar to get a sense for the sound. Try to jam with it for at least 10 minutes in case there are electrical problems after it heats up.

- If an amp has been played hard, the speakers might be getting "tired". If you don't have an ear for what the speakers should sound like, try bring along a friend that might notice it.

- Don't be afraid to point out cosmetic things, especially if you're trying to get a deal on the price. But on the other hand, realize that after you own any amp for a year, it will have some nicks, bear stains, etc

Good luck!
^ Where the hell do you live that bear stains happen and what is a bear stain?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by timbo63
I don't think there's anything inherently bad about getting a used amp - I've bought my first ones used. Here are some tips:

- It's best if you can actually play it before buying (vs. getting on ebay). A store may sell something on consignment, but that will cost more. If in the US, Craigs List would be another good choice. Starving musicians will usually take less than the asking price, especially if you dangle cash and are willing to walk (ie, you're willing to wait for a better deal!).

- Test everything. All knobs turn and aren't noisy, it sound clean (no noise), works soft and loud. Check the reverb and both channels - don't just test the things you're most interested in - check everything! If there's a headphone jack, bring headphones. You might want to bring along *your* guitar to get a sense for the sound. Try to jam with it for at least 10 minutes in case there are electrical problems after it heats up.

- If an amp has been played hard, the speakers might be getting "tired". If you don't have an ear for what the speakers should sound like, try bring along a friend that might notice it.

- Don't be afraid to point out cosmetic things, especially if you're trying to get a deal on the price. But on the other hand, realize that after you own any amp for a year, it will have some nicks, bear stains, etc

Good luck!

Good advice. However, I might add that you thoroughly read the manual before going to play an amp. You can find any manual online, and it helps to know some of the quirks of an individual amp's controls so you can test all features knowledgeably. Some of my Mesas have some features that only function under certain conditions, and it's nice to know that in advance. Take the manual with you.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1