Ten years ago we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash - Now we have no Jobs, no H

Page 1 of 2
Ten years ago we had Steve Jobs, the Apple visionary, who was responsible for the iPhone, iPad and many other devices we use today, who sadly died after a long fight with pancreatic cancer, leaving a grand legacy of innovation, technological progress and creativity as well as a company that continues to create popular consumer electronics and software used the world over. Adding to our grief is the fact that Bob Hope, the popular comedian whose talents entertained thousands of US soldiers during his many USO tours as well as millions of civilian audiences in America and beyond passed away in his home at the age of 100, having lived a long, fruitful life of generosity and service to his country. While Bob Hope may have done service to his country, Johnny Cash did service to country MUSIC, writing many of the most recognizable songs of the 20th century, including "I Walk the Line" and "Ring of Fire", both number 1 hits and influencing the direction of country music in the 60s, 70s and beyond. Now, while all these men were important in their own right there is one thread that connects the three of them even though they may not have ever been in the same room at the same time: the fact that all three of them had surnames that served two functions: not only did they signify the families they came from, they also functioned as dictionary words, taking on second, unintended meanings. For instance, Steve Jobs had the surname "Jobs" which is also an English word for multiple occupations. Bob Hope's surname "Hope" also has a second meaning: an expectation of a desired outcome Last but not least, Johnny Cash's surname, "Cash", carries a second meaning as well: that of a slang term for currency, typically paper currency. These three words, Jobs, Hope and Cash, are significant because due to the recent economic downturn, all three of them are in short supply. Coincidentally, the men whose names contained these words died around the same time the concepts the words represented became scarce, which leads us to the hilarious observation that Ten years ago we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash - Now we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.
Come on guys, don't despair.

As long as I'm here, I'll continue to silence your hunger for good threads.
Quote by Philip_pepper
Come on guys, don't despair.

As long as I'm here, I'll continue to silence your hunger for good threads.

I love that you're the self aware, punching bag mascot of The Pit
All i have to say is...

Recently saw a pic of a young Steve Jobs and he looks just likee Ashton Kucher.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by captainsnazz
Wow mate you're such a herb.

herb or erb?
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
This was funny when Jake Foglenest did it months ago

4/10 thread
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by genghisgandhi
Hace 10 años teníamos a Johnny Cash, Bob Hope y Steve Jobs. Hoy no tenemos Cash ni Hope ni Jobs. NOTA MENTAL: NO DEJAR MORIR A KEVIN BACON.

I don't get why you did this but I found it pretty ****ing funny.
I miss bob hope
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Old. People have been using this joke since Steve Jobs died, including the part where someone says "O God I hope that Kevin Bacon doesn't die!", and it was barely funny the first time. Nice try buddy.
Quote by abacus!
Old. People have been using this joke since Steve Jobs died, including the part where someone says "O God I hope that Kevin Bacon doesn't die!", and it was barely funny the first time. Nice try buddy.

Yeah.

But can you count?
Quote by abacus!

Please, Louise.

PULL ME OFF OF MY KNEES
Quote by Momentosis
All i have to say is...

Recently saw a pic of a young Steve Jobs and he looks just likee Ashton Kucher.

--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Steve Jobs was an asshole. Who needs him.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Johnny Cash died more than ten years ago. Jus' sayin'.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ

In my restless dreams...
I see that town.
Silent Hill.
You promised you'd take me there again someday.
But you never did.

Well, I'm alone there now.
In our 'special place'...
Waiting for you.

Quote by bradulator
Steve Jobs was an asshole. Who needs him.

Yeah he kind of was. Not to mention a patent troll who constantly stole other peoples ideas.

If you want to treat someone like a tech messiah, it should be Dennis Ritchie.

Without him, we wouldn't have Unix, Linux, C (or any variations of C), DOS, Windows, or any Apple products whatsoever. No generic text languages (we'd still be using binary code), no apps/programs. no internet.....

Modern computers as we know them simply wouldn't exist without Dennis Ritchie.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
10 years ago we had Kevin Shirt, Joe Shoes and Phil Service.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
10 years ago we had Dave Privateinsurance, Jesse Goodeconomy, and Frank Whitepresident.
Proud manager of Футбо́льный клуб Зени́т

o_O
Quote by stonyman65
Yeah he kind of was. Not to mention a patent troll who constantly stole other peoples ideas.

If you want to treat someone like a tech messiah, it should be Dennis Ritchie.

Without him, we wouldn't have Unix, Linux, C (or any variations of C), DOS, Windows, or any Apple products whatsoever. No generic text languages (we'd still be using binary code), no apps/programs. no internet.....

Modern computers as we know them simply wouldn't exist without Dennis Ritchie.

no one cares. and they probably would. technological advances work differently than marketing/business advances, in that technological advances represent the natural progression of technology. In that it improves and there are those who strive to make it improve.

When it comes to the economy, business models are not necessarily "progress" in any discernible form, but rather a different way of doing things. Steve Jobs (helped) change consumerism forever. He has had a significant cultural impact.

Ritchie had an enormous scientific impact that probably would have been achieved by someone else, because it was just scientific progress.
I was gonna say we just look on in Wonder, but that would be extremely unfair to Stevie Wonder!!!
My Gear:- A guitar, a guitar lead, a guitar amplifier. Or sometimes just an acoustic guitar!
tldr
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Hey, 2011 called.

They said you can keep that joke because it sucks and they don't want it back.

Edit:
Quote by progdude93
Ritchie had an enormous scientific impact that probably would have been achieved by someone else, because it was just scientific progress.

Quote by progdude93
because it was just scientific progress.

Quote by progdude93
just scientific progress.

Get the fuck out.
Last edited by archangels at Dec 23, 2013,
-3/10 too old would not anally violate
Page 1 of 2