I have a couple of issues / questions about guitar setup...

First one is about my resonator. With a capo at the first fret, the action is about 3/16". The neck is reasonably straight (with the capo at first fret, if I fret the higher frets, there is pretty much no gap between the strings and frets at the middle of the neck). Strings are 600L, so not super huge. It still is pretty hard to play IMO. Finger slides for example or even hammer-ons feel very hard. As a comparison, my LTD EC401 is strung with 10-52s (and setup for them) and feels very easy to play (but the action is pretty low). I'm wondering if I should take it to have it setup to make it easier to play. Advice?

Second is about my strat. It feels rather well setup in my opinion, action is pretty low, intonation is fine, no fret buzz (except a little bit on the high E string if I fret for example the 15th fret and bend: it doesn't buzz when I fret, but it does when I bend). But if I measure neck straightness using the method above (capo on first fret, then fret the highest fret and look at the gap fret/string in the middle of the vibrating length), the gap is about the thickness of a .60 mm pick. Is that too much? Should I just take it to be setup too?
Quote by OliveG
I have a couple of issues / questions about guitar setup...

First one is about my resonator. With a capo at the first fret, the action is about 3/16".

Where and how are you measuring 3/16". That's pretty much too high anywhere on the neck.

Quote by OliveG
I'm wondering if I should take it to have it setup to make it easier to play.

Yes.

Quote by OliveG
Second is about my strat. It feels rather well setup in my opinion, action is pretty low, intonation is fine, no fret buzz (except a little bit on the high E string if I fret for example the 15th fret and bend: it doesn't buzz when I fret, but it does when I bend).

If your strat has a vintage 7.25" radius, it can easily fret out on bends if you've got low action. A flatter radius won't do that.

There's also the possibility that you have a high fret further up from the 15th fret. In that case, the radius won't be the problem, but the high fret certainly will. Your tech can check the fretboard radius (he/she should also check the understring radius of the bridge as well, to see if the strings are more or less following the radius of the fretboard.
Quote by dspellman
Where and how are you measuring 3/16". That's pretty much too high anywhere on the neck.

At the 14th fret... it's a reso, it might have been setup for slide playing before I guess...
Quote by OliveG
At the 14th fret... it's a reso, it might have been setup for slide playing before I guess...

If it was, it's likely pretty high action even at the nut.
Most resonators come with a tall nut for slide playing. If you want to use it for non-slide playing you probably need to file down the bottom of the nut so it sits lower.
I looked at it this morning, I think I'll just take it to a tech to have it setup well. Not comfortable doing all that stuff myself, all the filing, etc... an electric I can definitely handle (although I'm not sure I'd mess with the truss rod). That's a whole different beat.
I just measured it: the action at the first fret is a hair under 1/32". Action at the 12th fret (no capo) is 1/8" for the low E. About the same (a hair less so that the top of the string sits at 1/8") for the high E.

So it seems to me that the nut's OK, but the saddle definitely needs some work to make this baby comfy to play fingerstyle. I don't think the string spacing itself is even right. The low and high E strings do not follow the edge of the fingerboard...