I'm looking to buy a multi effects pedal yet I have little to zero idea of what to look for/what to avoid. I was just looking for some basic help on the matter.

My starting point is a vox pedal that was going for $250 bucks at my local music store. Pretty sure it was this one: http://www.highstreetmusic.com.au/xcart/product.php?productid=11004&cat=472&page=1

Looking for something around a similar price range possibly even this particular one if it's any good. Its not for professional use, just mucking around at home.

Thanks
Line 6 M9, if you can afford it, Line 6 M5 if you can't. That's assuming you just need effects. If you want amp modeling too, and in a simple package, for sure sure pick up a Zoom G3.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
+1 to the Zoom G3 suggestion - I'm happy with mine. If you go that way and can afford it, you may find the G5 even more useful.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
+1 to the M9

If you want amp modeling also, the Line 6 X3 live or POD HD 300/400 would be my choices. Used the X3 runs $150ish and the HD300 starts at $200ish
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Assuming that the web site you gave is your best choices I would take the ME-25 over the ST.

http://www.highstreetmusic.com.au/xcart/product.php?productid=11019&cat=470&page=1

The ME-25 has a 38 second looper and a really cool effect called freeze that works with the expression pedal. Also the Vox has limited options WRT combining FX compared to most other multifx.
+1 for the G3, an excellent, easy to use multifx at a great price.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20