I've been looking into getting a new reverb to supplement my amp's reverb. Something versatile and out there. My local Long & Mcquade has Line 6 M5s on special for $140 right now, as well as a used EHX Cathedral.

I like the M5's versatility in that it does weird reverbs, like shimmer and reverse (I think?), and a host of other effects I could get into. Having a second looper/delay/modulation/pitch shifter might be fun to mess with

The Cathedral, though, is more dedicated as a reverb. It doesn't have a shimmer effect, but it has a hold feature that I could use for nice drones/pad sounds under my playing.

My effects-heavy style usually bounces between shimmery, textural, pretty things, to droney/sludgey metal tones, to ****ing around with noisy soundscapes. So I would like something that works great clean

Now, assuming these are still available when I get the money, which sounds like the best bet? Is there something else I'm overlooking?
I really liked my Cathedral when I had it. And it sounds like we do a lot of similar things. I honestly don't care for how the M series sounds.

There are a lot of options though. Out of those two I'd use a Cathedral every time.
First off, I think I watched your avatar loop 4-5 times in a row. Anyways, if the pedals listed in your signature are accurate, go for the Cathedral, you have good delay already. The Cathedral is a fantastic pedal.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
So that's 2 votes for the Cathedral, sweet!

I keep hearing about some revebs being great until you bring dirt into the picture. How does the Cathedral interact with OD/Dist/Fuzz, both before and after the 'verb?

Quote by souperman08
First off, I think I watched your avatar loop 4-5 times in a row.
Good ol Zoidy
I like the cathedral for everything except really big ambient soundscapey reverbs. The m series/verbzilla has some teens that I really like such as the cave mode. The neunaber wet reverb is also close to your budget and is excellent. Maybe look for a used one? Mr. Black super moon is also really cool. Boss rv-3 is a popular choice for ambient stuff. You might like the rv-5, but I'd say it's generally not the best choice. The hall and modulated modes are cool
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Heres the thing about the M5, it is a great "swiss army knife" of a pedal. Great for effects you don't use very often, or for the very out there sounds. I use it all the time for gigging with Singer/Songwriters, or for cover bands.

I really dig the modulation and reverbs.

That said if you really love reverb and will use it all the time. I would go for a stand alone reverb like the Cathedral.
(()____(Main Rig)____())>

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Washburn Taurus 5-string Bass
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.
I agree that the Cathedral doesn't really excel at huge sounding ambiance. However, it can get some nice bigger sounds. The WET would be a great choice. The Cathedral has more contemporary sounds and I got the hall mode to sound pretty good as a larger sounding ambient verb. Add a good delay and creative playing and it works really well. Sometimes I think some people overcompensate with massive reverb sounds and what they are playing in't really that awe inspiring or anything. The Cathedral is versatile and sounds great but I do love the WET.
Quote by ibanezguitars44
I like the cathedral for everything except really big ambient soundscapey reverbs. The m series/verbzilla has some teens that I really like such as the cave mode. The neunaber wet reverb is also close to your budget and is excellent. Maybe look for a used one? Mr. Black super moon is also really cool. Boss rv-3 is a popular choice for ambient stuff. You might like the rv-5, but I'd say it's generally not the best choice. The hall and modulated modes are cool

except for? odd, i've a friend that recently brought one and that's the particular music he's interested in playing on guitar. He seems to be very pleased with the purchase.
Thanks for the insight, guys! I've been eyeing some of these units, like the RV-3 (Love Sigur Ros and stuttery delay effects), RV-5 and Neunaber WET, but I'm on a bit of a tighter budget than that while I pay off my amp's footswitch and such. Even the Hardwire RV-7 I tried was a bit rich for my blood at $170 or so

i think i'll make the trek to long & McQuade today and compare the M5, cathedral, and RV-5 they have there and see where that takes me. Maybe a TC Hall of Fame, too.
What I will say out of the Cathedral above the other two reverbs I own (an old big-box Holy Grail and an Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master) is that it is the least prone to getting overloaded and clipping, which annoyingly the EQD does at more extreme settings. The Plate and Hall sounds are great for ambience. You'll probably never use Room or Flerb. The Infinite slam button is instant black-hole ambience, of course...

I agree with Vishnu, though. Mogwai don't use any reverb at all on their guitars, it's all delay - food for thought?
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.