Hi, I'm pretty darn terrible at the guitar and I'm looking to change that. I'm not in a position where I can find a guitar teacher, so it's completely solo for me right now. I can find some lessons alright online, and they seem pretty good. I have my E, A and D major chords and can transition between them VERY slowly, but I'm having trouble in other areas.

Basically, I struggle to find the correct strings with both hands, and would like some help finding an exercise to help with this. So far, I've just been doing a little blues scale jingle. I'm starting to get comfortable with it, although it doesn't sound very bluesy at all! I'll print it in at the end.

So, looking for something as simple as that that'll help me teach my fingers to switch strings fluidly and without as much thought as it currently takes. But, I don't know what to google to find such a thing, and I'd rather not just make up my own exercise. If it sounds kinda cool that'd be good. Basically switching from strings in order is easy enough for me, but jumping to the 4th string from the 1st is kicking my butt and similar. I also have short stumpy fingers so I've gotta learn to stretch them out.

So, any help? Even if it's just the correct terms so I can google my own stuff in the future would be really helpful. Thanks. And here's what I've currently been practising between chord change.

E|--------------------------------------------------------10--12--
B|-----------------------------------------8--10--11--12----------
G|-----------------------------------7--9-------------------------
D|-----------------------5--7--8--9-------------------------------
A|-----------------5--7-------------------------------------------
E|--0--3--5--6--7-------------------------------------------------
keep practicing all your chords, try using chromatic runs to practice strings for example

e---------------------------------------------------------------------------------1---2---3---4
B-----------------------------------------------------------------1---2---3---4----------------
G-------------------------------------------------1---2---3---4--------------------------------
D---------------------------------1---2---3---4------------------------------------------------
A-----------------1---2---3---4---------------------------------------------------------------
E 1---2---3---4--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D U D U D U D U D U D U D U D U D U D U
whilst doing this, practice your alternate picking.

Also try simple exercises that involve different strings instead of just going down one string.

e--------------------------------------------3---2---1---------------
B------------------------------1---4---1---------------------------1
G----------------------------------------------------------0--3--0--
D--------------1---3-------------------------------------------------
A----------------------3----1----------------------------------------
E---0--1---3---------------------------------------------------------

also with this try to use alternate picking, it'll make things a lot easier for your playing if you can get alternate picking to become natural now instead of having to work on it later in life!

Also if you want to try some hammer ons and pull offs you can use the same string skipping exercise but only pick once for each string before you change, this will help improve both string skipping and start on your legato

e--------------------------------------------3p2p1-------------------
B------------------------------1h4p1-----------------------------1---
G----------------------------------------------------------0h3p0-----
D--------------1h3----------------------------------------------------
A----------------------3-p1-------------------------------------------
E---0h1h3------------------------------------------------------------
Cheers buddy, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I've already been doing the DUDU picking, it just seems a little easier to do.

That second one is really great. I seem to stumble over it a lot, but even after 5 mins it's getting much easier. As for doing it iwht hammer ons and pull-offs, if only I could. My poor fingers seem far too weak to get any sort of loudish sound ringing out. I'd love to blame it on having an acoustic guitar, but unfortunately I think it's all me.

Another weak or two of this and I'll be jamming out to all the Pink Floyd songs and making them look too easy :P
Quote by Ossilliath
So, looking for something as simple as that that'll help me teach my fingers to switch strings fluidly and without as much thought as it currently takes. But, I don't know what to google to find such a thing, and I'd rather not just make up my own exercise. If it sounds kinda cool that'd be good. Basically switching from strings in order is easy enough for me, but jumping to the 4th string from the 1st is kicking my butt and similar. I also have short stumpy fingers so I've gotta learn to stretch them out.

Given what you've said about how well you play... exercises aren't what you need. Right now you just need to keep playing; you're barely even comfortable with the guitar so don't worry about exercises, just get yourself playing simple chord songs.

Quote by Ossiliath
E|--------------------------------------------------------10--12--
B|-----------------------------------------8--10--11--12----------
G|-----------------------------------7--9-------------------------
D|-----------------------5--7--8--9-------------------------------
A|-----------------5--7-------------------------------------------
E|--0--3--5--6--7-------------------------------------------------

Of course this doesn't sound bluesy, it's just a run up a scale.

Play music. That is the most important and productive thing you can do right now; play songs, learn the basics, don't run exercises that end with nothing you can use in a real music situation.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.