Unarmed Man Is Charged With Wounding Bystanders Shot by Police Near Times Square

Page 1 of 2
An unarmed, emotionally disturbed man shot at by the police as he was lurching around traffic near Times Square in September has been charged with assault, on the theory that he was responsible for bullet wounds suffered by two bystanders, according to an indictment unsealed in State Supreme Court in Manhattan on Wednesday.

Initially Mr. Broadnax was arrested on misdemeanor charges of menacing, drug possession and resisting arrest. But the Manhattan district attorney’s office persuaded a grand jury to charge Mr. Broadnax with assault, a felony carrying a maximum sentence of 25 years. Specifically, the nine-count indictment unsealed on Wednesday said Mr. Broadnax “recklessly engaged in conduct which created a grave risk of death.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/05/nyregion/unarmed-man-is-charged-with-wounding-bystanders-shot-by-police-near-times-square.html?_r=2&

dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by LostLegion
#merica

More like #NewYorkPoliceDepartment.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
it boggles my mind how cops don't have beanbag rounds handy for crowded areas/violent people who aren't fully in control (aka drunk, mentally ill, tripping sack)
Quote by progdude93
it boggles my mind how cops don't have beanbag rounds handy for crowded areas/violent people who aren't fully in control (aka drunk, mentally ill, tripping sack)

There are many accounts of officers reaching for their taser when they need to shoot someone, or their gun when they need to tase someone. Add to that the fact that they'd either A, have to carry an extra mag and switch that out (which involves removing the firearm from the holster to rack the lethal round out, which could likely escalate a situation), or B, carry a whole extra firearm, and it becomes somewhat unfeasible.

Not that there isn't a good solution to this.
Last edited by Skynyrd890 at Dec 23, 2013,
Quote by Skynyrd890
There are many accounts of officers reaching for their taser when they need to shoot someone, or their gun when they need to tase someone. Add to that the fact that they'd either A, have to carry an extra mag and switch that out, or B, carry a whole extra firearm, and it becomes somewhat unfeasible.

Cops carrying two things at once...completely unfeasible
Quote by willT08

asking a bit much eh?

no sarcasm not sure if they can handle that much
Quote by willT08

I said "somewhat", not completely. The bulk of police officers are incredibly poorly trained, and it's well-documented that there have been scenarios where police pick the wrong thing when something is happening. Adding a third is just going to make it more likely that they **** up.
Last edited by Skynyrd890 at Dec 23, 2013,
Quote by Ichikurosaki
when i read the title i thought the guy was charged for wounding innocent people that were shot by police

That's what it is. Bystanders get wounded because police shot at him while he was unarmed. And it's apparently his fault.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by progdude93

Anecdotally from 2 of my childhood friends who are police officers, 95% of violent situations end with words or tasers. The other 5% make the news in which people base their entire opinion on police gun uses from.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Skynyrd890
There are many accounts of officers reaching for their taser when they need to shoot someone, or their gun when they need to tase someone.

^ Citation needed

Officers often carry their firearm on their dominant side with the pistol grip facing the rear where as they carry a taser on their non-dominant side with the pistol grip facing the front.

While I'm not a police officer, I do have combat experience and can tell you that even in knee-jerk situations I have never reached for the wrong weapon.
Err the only people who have guns in NYC are patrol cops, gang members, and people who keep one inside for incredibly huge fees.

The fact that he didn't have a gun and having one is HUGE deal there makes this even more ridiculous lol.
Quote by Skynyrd890
I said "somewhat", not completely. The bulk of police officers are incredibly poorly trained, and it's well-documented that there have been scenarios where police pick the wrong thing when something is happening. Adding a third is just going to make it more likely that they **** up.

If they're poorly trained, they shouldn't be carrying a deadly weapon.
fuck america. that country is getting shittier every day.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Vikingx
^ Citation needed

Officers often carry their firearm on their dominant side with the pistol grip facing the rear where as they carry a taser on their non-dominant side with the pistol grip facing the front.

While I'm not a police officer, I do have combat experience and can tell you that even in knee-jerk situations I have never reached for the wrong weapon.

That's because your M4 was taking up both of your hands. You're not the only one with overseas experience on this board. I'd think twice before pulling the hardass card.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Dec 23, 2013,
I can't see a jury convicting him for that charge, to be honest.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by I.O.T.M

I can the people of this country are ****ing ******ed.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
i didn't know menacing was a crime
explains why ts' mom is always in handcuffs
#wrecked
you're a stone fox
Quote by I.O.T.M

To be honest I likely see it going away in a plea deal.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by willT08

I can understand what you are saying, but you're forgetting the fact that they are already carrying around 30 pounds of gear on their belts as it is, along with pepper spray, a baton, a taser... It does become unfeasible at some point.

Add to that the part where police training is usually horrific and not done much at all besides year qualification (which a lot of them fail anyways but are still put on the street). As far as weapons training, what the police do is kind of a joke. Unless you happen to be on a SWAT team where you get thousands of rounds to train each year your aren't getting much training.

Shooting 40 rounds at a 4 foot by 6 foot target standing still at 7 yards with a 50% hit ratio once a year isn't training....Thats a glorified range trip.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by captainsnazz
If they're poorly trained, they shouldn't be carrying a deadly weapon.

Yup. If you are going to carry a weapon with you (whether professionally or as a private citizen) you NEED to have training. All too often (especially with larger police departments) training is written off as a un-need expense. And thus we have problems like this.

Proper firearms training takes lots of time and money - two things that most law enforcement agencies don't have much of. Honestly, its a surprise this sort of stuff doesn't happen more often.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by Skynyrd890
There are many accounts of officers reaching for their taser when they need to shoot someone, or their gun when they need to tase someone. Add to that the fact that they'd either A, have to carry an extra mag and switch that out (which involves removing the firearm from the holster to rack the lethal round out, which could likely escalate a situation), or B, carry a whole extra firearm, and it becomes somewhat unfeasible.

Doesn't seem too difficult to me. The pneu gun ballistic baton. Basically a mini beanbag gun. Short range, but highly effective.
Quote by progdude93

Doesn't seem too difficult to me. The pneu gun ballistic baton. Basically a mini beanbag gun. Short range, but highly effective.

And entirely impractical.

You have no idea how real world stressful/combat situations work, do you?
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by stonyman65

Seriously, a whole lot of "Captain Hindsight" going on here by people with little to no experience outside of their parents houses..
Last edited by jugglingfreak at Dec 23, 2013,
Quote by stonyman65

Yes, because random drunk dudes or psychotic unarmed hobos create so much stress that it's a better idea to have the cops use guns so they can shoot innocent bystanders
Quote by progdude93
Yes, because random drunk dudes or psychotic unarmed hobos create so much stress that it's a better idea to have the cops use guns so they can shoot innocent bystanders

Thank you Captain Hindsight!!!!
It's not like this just happened for the first time and, hindsight being 20/20, making judgments that you can't blame the cops for.

But this is far from the first time it's happened (didn't 9 people get shot during the summer in times square?), and it won't be the last. It's not a CONSTANTLY recurring issue, but it's certainly happened enough that the cops should already have been thinking, "y'know, maybe firing lethal weapons into crowds of people isn't the best idea."
Quote by Acϵ♠
fuck america. that country is getting shittier every day.

**** canada. that country is freeloading off of america more everyday.
¯\_()_/¯
Quote by progdude93
It's not like this just happened for the first time and, hindsight being 20/20, making judgments that you can't blame the cops for.

But this is far from the first time it's happened (didn't 9 people get shot during the summer in times square?),
and it won't be the last. It's not a CONSTANTLY recurring issue, but it's certainly happened enough that the cops should already have been thinking, "y'know, maybe firing lethal weapons into crowds of people isn't the best idea."

2 people, not 9. Secondly, lethal force is usually the last option. After a shooting, they have to be placed on administrative leave while the shooting is investigated and then, if they are cleared, they are allowed back in service.

People would bitch and sue even if it was pepper spray, bean bag, rubber bullets, etc.

The problem with a non lethal agent against a possibly mentally unstable target is, you hit them with that and they don't go down (which does happen, frequently) you run the risk of a now further enraged and agitated individual taking hostages, injuring others, etc.

Now people will start crying :"they should have just shot him if the bean bags and pepper spray wouldn't work.."

It's a catch 22.
Quote by stonyman65

Quote by jugglingfreak
Seriously, a whole lot of "Captain Hindsight" going on here by people with little to no experience outside of their parents houses..

Thanks for educating us on the topic of weapons, people from Southern US states!

Quote by jugglingfreak
Secondly,

Where's Firstly
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Dec 23, 2013,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Thanks for educating us on the topic of weapons, people from Southern US states!

Which means what? Apart from ignorant stereotyping..
I'm not going to argue about this individual case, but the hysterical reactions of members of the public to harmless homeless psychotics is almost as mad.

Psychotics wouldn't seem nearly so frightening to people if they stopped being bigoted cunts
Quote by jugglingfreak
Which means what? Apart from ignorant stereotyping..

Sorry, I'm not annoyed that you're Southern, but I can't help but point out the fact that you're Southern when I'm annoyed. I'm sure you understand why I'm not glad you took time off from your day specifically to point out that, the people who shot innocent people, and then pointed their blaming finger at some other people, didn't have much time to think.
Page 1 of 2