I'm looking at getting the Fender Modern Player Telecaster, it had me at first because instead of being like other Tele's, it has a humbucker at the bridge, a strat single coil in the middle and the standard Tele pickup at the neck... as well as this, it's all for under £400! I've had a good play on one at my local music shop and I am in love with it... However I would like to hear some other peoples opinions on it?
A chinese guitar with the Fender name on it. Leo would be ashamed.

And made of pine. Definitely not my tonewood of choice.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Last edited by jjfeu662 at Dec 23, 2013,
I haven't played it, but I will caution that it is made in China and for this reason I would only buy one after playing it. The quality of the components might also be an issue...
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
There's nothing wrong with it being made in China. Just because it's not made in America doesn't mean it's of any less quality. Inferior components may be used but the build quality is still high.
Quote by AJScott
There's nothing wrong with it being made in China. Just because it's not made in America doesn't mean it's of any less quality. Inferior components may be used but the build quality is still high.

It's not that it's not American; MIJ guitars are perfect and MIK is almost as good, but China? Not known for good guitars.

Pine though?
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Change the pickups and it wouldn't be horrible, if you could get over the lifeless neck.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I'd say find a used MIM tele if they don't still make them. They're easy to find and are significantly better than Modern Players.
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by jjfeu662
Pine though?

Nothing wrong with pine, especially in a Telecaster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Rfv0dQttM
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Nothing wrong with pine, especially in a Telecaster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Rfv0dQttM

Well that guy makes me feel like a talentless garage band kid.
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by Marrowoflife
You could also get a regular MIM and swap out the pickup with Hot Rails, SDQP or little 59. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-fsr-standard-ash-telecaster-electric-guitar

I would strongly suggest giving this option some thought. It will be much higher quality in the long run.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by jjfeu662
Well that guy makes me feel like a talentless garage band kid.

Legnedary players will do that.

Malmsteen always makes me fell like turning my "Strat" into a side table.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Get a used Baja/Nashville Tele
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have experience playing the Modern Player line. I played the Jaguar and a Tele. The Jag I had was one of the "good ones." Someone had invested fair amount of time in it, and made sure it was good prior to my buying it. I still paid only $230, less than a Classic Vibe or MIM. I played a Modern Player tele at a GC shortly after this. The tele wasn't even as nice as my jag, which I eventually traded for a MIK Epiphone SG.

Modern Players just aren't that good. It's not that they are MIC, they're just not that good. They're downright bad if you compare what they cost for what you get, and what you could have gotten from another company (or the same company) for a similar price. They feel cheap. The pickups generally suck and they rattle and feel plasticky.

Get a MIM Fender Tele instead. Get a Classic Vibe Tele instead. Get a Fernandes MIJ Tele instead. I suppose, if you find one on the used market for around $200, it might be worth buying. But even then, you might pay a mere $50 more and get a proper MIM.
Yet another thread in which to say that I absolutely love my Nasheville tele with a Warmoth Strat neck.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER