Honestly, do you like it when people just get you cash for Christmas or your birthday? People always say that's what they actually want but is it really?

For some reason it isn't for me. I certainly don't mind and would never complain about it and it even seems illogical for me to think that but I guess I just enjoy unwrapping stuff and being surprised and happy if they at least attempted to be thoughtful for me. Some people gotta learn they suck at presents though and should just stick to cash.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Hell yeah i'll take money. Thanks for helping me out with rent gramps
Sail upon the open skies
Yes, I enjoy money. My parents give me money and a few presents but my grandparents just give me money. Goes towards the New Year's beer fund
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I like it from distant relatives. If anyone who sees me a lot and knows me well gets me cash I'd think they were being a bit dickish
tbh i just want sweaters and crewneck sweatshirts
but having money to spend is empowering
you're a stone fox
I'd much prefer cash. I'm usually wanting something where'd I'd need to combine cash that no single person would/could get me.

Though that only applied to family. Friends I'd want some silly gag gift or something useless but cheap but thoughtful.
Last edited by Wormholes at Dec 23, 2013,
Maybe it's because I'm super stingy with money too and never spend any of it. I was raised to be cheap as hell and only buy a few little things a year despite the fact that I have quite a lot for my age.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
I'd rather take money than something that's just going to sit at the back of my closet, because Aunt So-and-so thought it was "cute".
If I don't have any particular things that I want, I always ask for cash. I'd rather have that, which I can later use on something I want, than a random gift that I might not even like.

Quote by stratkat
My payday is on christmas eve. All I was gonna get was drunk, but I've been too sick with the flu.

I feel your pain. I have a fever, and a wicked cold right now. Just what I wanted for Christmas.
I like gift ceertificates. It shows you have an idea what the persons intrests are without locking them into somthign they dont want.
i get what you mean bob. unwrapping presents is fun and it's cool to get something you really like because the giver knows you so well or conversely picking out a present for someone and seeing them really enjoy it. in my family, the siblings and step siblings (all six of us) get each other little presents ($15-$20 dollars on average) while our parents just give us money. my oldest brother is coming upon his 31st christmas and birthday (same day, don't you know) and understandably my parents are a little sick of the whole christmas shopping game. it's a lot of stress to get us all presents and they've done it more than enough times. they dish out the physical presents on birthdays instead, but usually money is a big part of it.

they don't remove themselves from the process though. they want to know what i spend my christmas money on because they still want to see my joy in getting what i want even if they weren't available to get it for me directly. suffice to say we've all gotten a little old for the christmas morning rush for presents, but not too cynical and douchey to stop giving. also it's all about the christmas dinner now.
i don't know why i feel so dry
i'd rather get that than some bullshit like a sweater, right way to go about getting a gift if you don't know shit about the person
Quote by Eastwinn
i get what you mean bob. unwrapping presents is fun and it's cool to get something you really like because the giver knows you so well or conversely picking out a present for someone and seeing them really enjoy it.

If the issue is seeing the person really enjoy it, then ask for a freaking list. I'm not trying to be ungrateful, but I'm never (ever, in a million years) wearing clothing that looks like it's more for my gramps than for me. Either use a list or give me chocolate or other food, something I can enjoy and not have to hang up somewhere.
I'd rather them give me the few hundred in cash than them buy me a guitar. I'm like the only really musical person in my family since at least 4 generations. They'd probably get me a Bronze Warlock.

But if it's not something that requires knowledge in the field, I'd much rather them buy me a present.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Last edited by jjfeu662 at Dec 23, 2013,
Quote by jjfeu662
I'd rather them give me the few hundred in cash than them buy me a guitar. I'm like the only really musical person in my family since at least 4 generations. They'd probably get me a Bronze Warlock.

good lawd
i like money sometimes. its hard getting a job in the area i live in and that money can go towards food over time should i really need it.
Cash is fine. I'm old enough to where if there is something I want, chances are I've probably already bought it for myself before Christmas or my birthday rolls around.

Also, I have very niche interests, so unless I give somebody a list with the specific things I want, chances are they probably aren't going to be able to find anything to get me.

Giving me cash just makes all of that easier. I'll buy it myself.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by rprdo
I prefer money, because food is not considered a gift

I BET THE KIDS IN AFRICA DISAGREE, YOU UNGRATEFUL JERK!
I prefer cash, gifts are generally terrible
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
I kind of dislike cash. I mean, I'll take it and be grateful, but there's something about opening presents that's just awesome, even if the presents themselves are kind of crappy. I'd take a shitty $25 gift over $25 in cash.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I'd rather take money than something that's just going to sit at the back of my closet, because Aunt So-and-so thought it was "cute".

wouldn't it make the most sense to keep all your shit there since you spend all your time there?
Quote by willT08
I like it from distant relatives. If anyone who sees me a lot and knows me well gets me cash I'd think they were being a bit dickish

this
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I think people in here are of the opinion that gift giving is all about what's best for the person getting the gift. I think it's much more than that
Quote by willT08
I think people in here are of the opinion that gift giving is all about what's best for the person getting the gift. I think it's much more than that

Yeah there's a sentimental aspect and a 'thoughtfulness' component or what have you. I don't care about any of that, I'm broke nigga
Cash for x-mas = I don't know what you want but you do so go buy it

I approve of this method of gift giving.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread