hey guys, i bought a small scale bass guitar years ago and was just wondering, besides the higher pitches and how it looks a bit diddy, are there any musical non-aesthetic disadvantages to it?

Im going to save up for a normal size bass eventually so noone take the piss
Short-scale basses often (but not always) suffer from intonation problems. Because bass strings are so thick, they are less forgiving to slight changes in pitch and in scale. But many bassists love the short-scale basses and they have created a lot of great music with them.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
intonation would be trickier, especially for droptuning and shorter scale than 30". it's totally workable and in no way less of a bass. One of the best ways to get a woody, thumpy kind of tone is to string a short scale bass with flatwound strings.

I might be biased though, since I'm really jonesing for a Bass VI (6 string 30" scale bass, tuned to EADGBE), and had some good times jamming on a short scale 5 String bass
Quote by maXterbat0r
intonation would be trickier, especially for droptuning and shorter scale than 30". it's totally workable and in no way less of a bass. One of the best ways to get a woody, thumpy kind of tone is to string a short scale bass with flatwound strings.

I might be biased though, since I'm really jonesing for a Bass VI (6 string 30" scale bass, tuned to EADGBE), and had some good times jamming on a short scale 5 String bass

cheers for this information.

Im going to have to read up on this "flatwound" string because im curious about all the different types of sound you can make on the bass.

I don't know if you're familiar with Steve Harris from Iron Maiden but I think he might do something like this, he has a kind of thumpy, higher pitched sound and he kind of puts alot of stress on each note so it hits off the fretboard giving him a unique rhythmic sound. However, he doesn't play a small scale from what I can observe, his bass looks like an axe. I ****in love that about a bass
Last edited by Jack69 at Dec 23, 2013,
Justin Mendal-Johnsen gets a really nice thump out of his custom Fender Jaguar, and at least when Beck played Santa Cruz last year, he was using flats on it. I'll probably switch to flats on my Mustang when the strings go dead.

Shortscales can give you another tool in the bass kit to get some very nice low end tones. And its not the size of the instrument but the sound that counts in the end.
I've been playing on my Fender Mustang for over 10 years and I am NOT looking to get anything else EVER. I adore it and it sounds awesome!

I've played it with flat wound when I played in a band in college that required me playing with a bow. It had a nice upright sound to it. Now I play it with standard small scale nickel wound strings in drop D tuning. Still no problems.

I have tiny lady fingers and this bass gives me the ability to play far trickier riffs than I would be able to with a full scale bass.

Want proof? Check out this tone: www.goodlord.bandcamp.com
Last edited by jackbutt at Dec 31, 2013,