Warning: this is going to sound terrible...

https://soundcloud.com/happymasksal/lifes-a-highway

Why is audacity doing this? My other songs were recorded on the very same laptop, using audacity on ubuntu rather than windows, and they turn out fine.

edit: I should mention that doing a driver update was the first thing I tried
Last edited by Godsmack_IV at Dec 23, 2013,
What hardware are you using?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Just the built-in mic on my laptop. The other songs were recorded the same way. The only difference was that I booted up into Ubuntu Linux to record them and Life's a Highway was recorded from Windows. I know Ubuntu has its own drivers but drivers on Windows don't seem to be the issue because they are up to date and work fine for Skype.
Quote by Godsmack_IV
Just the built-in mic on my laptop.

This is your problem.

Go and read the interfaces sticky.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
This thread made me facepalm xD
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I'm not looking to get a great sound out of this. I just want to get the same quality I get from that mic when I'm using windows as when I'm using ubuntu.
It's not gonna happen, I doubt it's ubuntu or windows doing this. It's far more likely to be the fact that a laptop mic is not a good recording tool. There are many more likely variables based on that fact that then there are on the recording software you're using.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Guess I'll stick to recording in Ubuntu then. I doubt it's strictly a hardware issue because I can get it to work adequately in Ubuntu and it's reliable. I'm just using it to playback whatever I'm practicing so I'm not really motivated to shell out any money to upgrade anything.
Can you post a recording that you've done in Ubuntu? I can't believe that switching OS would make a laptop mic sound any good for music.
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
Yeah, that recording sounds bad, but which bad thing were you complaining about? It has a pretty over-compressed sound (maybe due to uploading??) and then a sort of clipped sound when you get a little louder. You probably need to dig into the audio settings. For skype, you might have the sound card in the PC set to auto-level (or maybe not auto-level). Or you might have some gain booster turned on, which might work for skype, but not audacity.

It's probably not audacity - I think that program will just record what it gets and not likely introduce any new distortion (unless you have the levels set too high). With different drivers between windows and Linux, you shouldn't expect the same exact response.

Sure, you could get plugins for compression or whatever, but I think you should 1) learn where all the audio driver settings are and make sure you understand them, maybe do some experiments with different settings, 2) think about a better microphone like the others said.

If you're just screwing around, then you can probably get a slightly better microphone and really hear a difference. If you really want to make a "nice" recording, then unfortunately, you'll have to invest money. Most guitar players have a hard time parting with money for mic equipment, even though it would have a radical improvement in the recorded sound (vs. buying a new guitar or effect which is way easier to do!)
Quote by reincarnator
Can you post a recording that you've done in Ubuntu? I can't believe that switching OS would make a laptop mic sound any good for music.

Ubuntu uses different encryption for the data transfer and different sort of drivers, It could be, but it's still highly unlikely. I use a crappy mic for recording and it all sounds fine. it has nothing to do with windows. If anything he just hasn't checked the settings, or hasn't installed the correct drivers + software from Realtek.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Last edited by BjarnedeGraaf at Dec 27, 2013,