I have a Peavy 6505 + 112 combo amp and I was wondering if I could place an EQ pedal between the amp out and the speaker, or is this bad for the amp or speaker.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
yeah - don't do that

the speaker gets its power load directly from the amp so you don't want anything in between that is not rated power wise for that type of application (attenuation, load dumps, cab switchers, etc).

what are you wanting to accomplish though can we ask?

are you not happy with the tone of the speaker perhaps?

if it is a new speaker, it will sound somewhat harsh until it is broken in (20-40 hrs of solid playing).
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 24, 2013,
I'm trying to get good tone from it cranked so it isn't muddy but then drop the output back down so it's bedroom volume.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
"Using a 'power soak', or speaker attenuator, allows you to turn up a guitar amplifier to the point where it produces its optimum distortion and compression, but then regulate the actual volume of the loudspeaker(s) it is driving. In the home studio, where volume levels may be restricted, this allows you to still record using valve (tube) output-stage distortion. "

But check out the full article at bottom of this page

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun06/articles/guitartech_0606.htm
An attenuator would be useless on that amp. It is not designed to get powertube distortion, which is the reason most people use attenuators.

Far more useful would be an od pedal as a boost and an EQ pedal in the effects loop. Those have been very effective for me in getting a better tone at low volumes. The reason that amp starts to sound better when louder is that the speaker is moving more air and is allowed to breathe a little more. What speaker are you using, by the way?
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KerNeL_KLuTcH
I have a Peavy 6505 + 112 combo amp and I was wondering if I could place an EQ pedal between the amp out and the speaker, or is this bad for the amp or speaker.

putting an EQ pedal there would be bad for the amp and the pedal.

put the EQ in the FX loop instead. it's the set of jacks on the left

punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Dec 24, 2013,