Page 1 of 8
Kepulix
The Witchfinder
1,413 IQ
Here's a thread for the sake of keeping the discussion and voting separate.

The war begins.
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Last edited by Kepulix at Dec 24, 2013,
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...
3,619 IQ
Thank you Kep for this thread. Wonderful idea to keep the main game clutter free. Your choices for Tooth & Claw, Thunderstorms and Headbanging Heaven are literally some of my own choices. And the choice of Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret cracked a huge fucking grin on my face. Sugar and spice, isn't it nice?

Pure Filth has me leaning towards Infester, Naked Whipper and Dragged Into Sunlight on first thought. I must give everything a fresh listen though.

Wildchild, that Semilanceata is a personal favorite and it took me by surprise to see it mentioned. Wonderful call!

Progbass, it never really crossed my mind to use Obliveon's From This Day Forward for Memories From Another World but god damn does it hit the nail on the head! Such a bizarre yet familiar beast. It has obtusely strange qualities yet an air of familiarity... much like memories from another world would be, no?

Hoodoo Man if Forest Poetry was not used at least once in Tooth & Claw I was going to be incredibly disappointed.

Heavy Load was mentioned twice which is only appropriate for a proper Metal forum.

Emenius, I am very much looking forward to trying Vassafor (Obsidian Codex) and Gontyna Kry (Welowie) both which are new to me. *coughpmlinkcough*

Satanic Royalty showed up twice because it's one of the better thing HHR has done in their career.

As far as House of Ecstasy goes, NOT NEARLY enough Akercocke! Props Born Headless.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Dec 24, 2013,
The Virtuoso
L'Étranger
3,915 IQ
Good luck men. There are a few albums some of you picked that I considered using for my own ends, and for that, I applaud you! May the best man win, and if not, at least we will all listen to some good fukking metal!
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...
3,619 IQ
My only regret is the absence of Apokkalypse Machinegun Riffmast
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
progbass
UG Resident
1,030 IQ
Quote by VampireGoldfish
My only regret is the absence of Apokkalypse Machinegun Riffmast

Aye I would of loved to have him here.

I noticed some really fantastic choices among the chosen, and plenty of the albums were ones I considered using. This will be a trip. I'll have to listen to the ones I haven't heard first and brush up on the ones I'm familiar with after.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Helloween4Ever
Keeper of the Seven Keys
871 IQ
Yeah, this should be a good time. Tons of new albums, and a few returning classics.

Side note, anytime I get to listen to Vast Oceans I take it.
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
Kepulix
The Witchfinder
1,413 IQ
Some great choices from all of you, I must say.

I had to go with Soft Cell, because really, is there anything more sleazy than Sex Dwarf? I almost went with Dødsengel's Imperator for the Memories From Another World, but I decided to introduce you lot to Cult Of Fire, because I can't at least remember anyone mentioning them before.

Vast Oceans Lachrymose was frankly a bit of a hasty choice. I think it suits the theme though, because what I see is a tempest. But not a tempest of despair and hopelessness, but a tempest of ordeal and challenge that is to be overcome. That's what While Heaven Wept sounds to me.

So, does this round last until January? I can't imagine everyone listening to all of those albums in a week.

VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...
3,619 IQ
This match will last as long as it needs to during the month of January. We will see about setting a more cemented time limit for future matches as we realize what type of momentum we are dealing with here.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Helloween4Ever
Keeper of the Seven Keys
871 IQ
My couple sentences per album explaining why I chose them.

House of Ecstasy
Bishop of Hexen - Archives of an Enchanted Philosophy.

Tough one to pick. It is some decent Israeli Black Metal, but nothing groundbreaking. Vaguely fit the topic, so I went with it.

Pure Filth
Cryptopsy - None So Vile.

No explaination needed, probably the dirtiest DM I listen to, so it was a no brainer for me.

Tooth & Claw
Scythian - To Those Who Stand Against Us.

I don't remember when I found out about these guys, but at the time I only really listened to "Ares Guide My Blade" but nowadays I listen to the whole album. Quite a beastly album.

Memories From Another World
Noctural Rites - In A Time of Blood and Fire.

Part nostalgia pick. One of my all time favourite albums, and it takes me to a completely different world. One of dragons and demons and all sorts of evil things, and being part of a group of companions to slay evil.

Thunderstorms
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas.

An album that I always listen to during heavy thunderstorms. The darkness surrounding the album with regards to the sound itself, and the controversy around the album make for a sinister thunderstorm.

Headbanging Heaven
Medieval Steel - Medieval Steel.

Needs no introduction, just a pure badass heavy metal album.

Bonus Round
Show Us An Album That Sounds Like Its Album Art
Bathory - Nordland I.

One of the lesser listened to Bathory albums around these parts if I recall correctly, but it fits the album cover to a tee. Listening to the songs I can imagine that I am standing by that river with a horde of vikings ready to pillage.
Quote by NotFromANUS

last.fm
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...
3,619 IQ
I am not surprised at House of Ecstasy's apparent niche request. I purposely wanted one unorthodox theme in this set of matches and may continue the tradition in future battles.

Quote by Helloween4Ever

Thunderstorms
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas.

An album that I always listen to during heavy thunderstorms...

I need to experience this myself.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Helloween4Ever
Keeper of the Seven Keys
871 IQ
The first time I did that it was an all nighter with a brutal thunderstorm, and I decided that since I had nothing better to do, I might as well sit on my porch at 4:30 AM and listen to De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas and just watch the rain. It was incredible.
Quote by NotFromANUS

last.fm
Hoodoo Man
LEG XX VV
10 IQ
Forest Poetry was the one that instantly appeared in my mind as I read that theme. There was no way I could choose anything else.

As others have said above, quite a few of the albums people chose were ones I considered too, but there are a lot up there that I haven't heard, so I'm looking forward to hearing them.

I thought more people would choose norwegian black metal albums for thunderstorms though.

Edit: While I remember, a quick point. I'm assuming we're not supposed to vote for our own choices, but if another person chooses the same thing as you and you honestly think it is the best choice after hearing all the others, can you still vote for it?
Last edited by Hoodoo Man at Dec 24, 2013,
The Wildchild
COME TO INDONESIA!!!!!!!!
3,282 IQ
Your blood forms the documents of your defeat
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
Here are some explanations as to my choices:

House of Ecstasy: Kyuss - ...And The Circus Leaves Town

Sexy grooving bass lines that make you shake dat ass, I mean what is more erotic? But it's a filthy, drugged up lover

You can't find us, baby,
in the basement.
And I'll slug you in your ****ing head.

Pure Filth: Terra Tenebrosa - The Tunnels

Not traditional filth, I was thinking sludge... but so was everyone else I imagine. This album sounds like the tunnels of it's name sake. I could of used this on the album art round too, it sounds like demonic beings crawling around in their bloody underground tunnels, they're coming for you... and they'll drag you back down with them...

Tooth & Claw: Converge: Jane Doe

Not metal, but sue me. This IS the most apt musical metaphor to the desperate violence of the fight part of the flight or fight responce.

Memories From Another World: Bal-Sagoth - The Cthonic Chronicles

I don't really know how to explain this... listen to it... it always reminds me of the outer worlds of the ancient Elder Gods.

Thunderstorms: Ævangelist - Omen Ex Simulacra

This album IS a thunderstorm. Distorted, drenched with reverb. It's big, it's powerful, it's elemental. It moves, it changes, it howls, sometimes the wind blows, the rain falls quietly. Sometimes the wind screams through the trees and you can see the storm clouds twist before you.

Headbanging Heaven: Kreator - Enemy of God

It was either this or Phantom Antichrist, Kreator are one of the most solid Thrash bands of the last 5 to 10 years. Groovy, melodic, heavy. It has everything.

Album Art: Manowar - Kings Of Metal

Come on... it's MANOWAR FOR GODSAKE. Their music sounds like oiled men with swords!
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Dec 24, 2013,
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
468 IQ
Time for my explanations:

House Of Ecstasy: Swallow The Sun - The Mourning Never Came
It's an album that I've personally had playing while having sex and always found it quite fitting, specifically due to this excerpt from The Deadly Nightshade.

"The strength of her pulse is breaking her chest
She’s getting wet from this feverish writhe
The midnight’s cruel for a lonely girl
When the unknown slowly undresses her breasts

The voice - and her eyes wide shut
Her fever burns a mark on her bed
The path that she runs among these silent trees
Leads her body for me to claim"

Pure Filth: Dragged Into Sunlight - Hatred For Mankind
Outside of the filthy, horrific cover, I chose this one, not for being sonically putrid, but for it's want to describe the filth of our current society.

Memories From Another World: The Angelic Process - Weighing Souls With Sand
This album doesn't strike me as anything other than a look through a window to an entirely new realm. The soundscape is so abrasive, yet so beautiful at the same time that it is ethereal and otherworldly to me.

Tooth & Claw: Aspid - Extravasation
I was really unsure what to put for this one, but once I remembered how the beginning of the album goes from a bombastic orchestral-esque intro to, what sounds like, beasts from a dark cavern gnawing on their recently caught prey, I figured it would be best. The timber of the guitars and vocals, along with the rhythm's of the drums, always gave me a very tribal feel that I could only see in a jungle filled with some of the most fierce beasts in the world.

Thunderstorms: Suffocation - Effigy Of The Forgotten
I didn't pick it because I listen to it during thunderstorms, I picked it because the guitars whirl like gales, the cymbal work is as icy as freezing rain, and the drums and vocals compliment each other so well that they may as well be the claps of thunder.

Headbanging Heaven: Omen - Warning Of Danger
You want riffs? This has got ya riffs, mang. This album blesses those who fear the riffs, but those who don't, well, enjoy your time in the belly of the serpent.

Bonus: Kathaaria - The Complex Void Of Negativity
I don't even know what the cover is, all I know is that the music encompasses the dark, pale, and complex image on the album more than anything else for me.

This will be fun.

MARCH ON METAL WARRIOUHHHHHH!!
Last edited by Morphogenesis26 at Dec 24, 2013,
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
Yeah but your bag is in my bag :P

Though srsly I'm going out in the first round My metal knowledge isn't as great as you guys' I've only just got back into metal after a long stint in the realm of Hardcore xD
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Kepulix
The Witchfinder
1,413 IQ
My criticism lies in the number of themes, really. 77 albums to go through is a lot. Of course probably all of us are familiar with a certain number of albums beforehand, but it's still a plenty.

EDIT: Make that 84.

Last edited by Kepulix at Dec 24, 2013,
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world
705 IQ
Stronger than Evil is the epitome of headbanging majesty. Nothing else even comes close
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

PSN: esunax
Kepulix
The Witchfinder
1,413 IQ
Except Defender of the Crown... and Too Late To Pray. The others will have a hard time beating that for me.

Stronger Than Evil is deadly killer savage, regardless.

Helloween4Ever
Keeper of the Seven Keys
871 IQ
Medieval steeeeeeeyul, cuts you like a knifeeeee
Quote by NotFromANUS

last.fm
severed-metal
moo
4,320 IQ
I think I pmed Vag a little too late for mine to be included, but a lot of your picks were spot on. going to be tricky to determine the best of here.
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
468 IQ
My god, that's a lot of albums. Gonna be a Metal winter for me.

I was surprised to see Jane Doe, but it actually fits the theme pretty well.
Kepulix
The Witchfinder
1,413 IQ
Cheers for the album list, Helloween4Ever. I was in the process of compiling one myself. You saved a bit of time for everybody there.

Helloween4Ever
Keeper of the Seven Keys
871 IQ
yeah its something like 90 albums. I'd agree with cutting down the amount of themes by 1 or 2, possibly even 3 because 65/52 is a lot more manageable than 90.

Cheers man! I figured I was making one for myself, I might as well throw my selections on the bottom and post it. I'll do that for each month, as well.
Quote by NotFromANUS

last.fm
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...
3,619 IQ
Quote by severed-metal
I think I pmed Vag a little too late for mine to be included, but a lot of your picks were spot on. going to be tricky to determine the best of here.

I have no idea what happened to your selections because I know for a fact that I got the images for it and copy pasted it. I can add it now if everyone doesn't mind more albums to shove in their ear hole.

So when I first decided to revive this game I had no idea so many people would be playing, hence the large number of themes. But when all the players showed interest in playing I hastily decided to move forward with my original patch of themes designed for small gameplay. Obviously this has caused a HUGE amount of listening and voting to be done. Let us consider this a Beta match. It will still count for points and a Title to be given out, but the mechanics and inner working of the game must be discussed and further refined.

I have been having conversations with a few people on the forum via PM who would like to see a return to the 1 vs 1 format. This would be fun and more intimate, but also slower and lack the momentum of a battle royal.

In the future we can have a much smaller set of themes, perhaps three? Then when I announce all the players choices it might be a little easier to work all that listening into a regular persons schedule.

Let me know what you guys think. Remember this is just Beta stuff and I want to streamline the game to an efficiency and play style you guys agree with. Regardless, do your best to vote on this round. Plenty of good listening to be found here.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...
3,619 IQ
I added your choices Severed because Erotik tickles my fancy for House of Ecstasy in a much too perfect way. So after doing all that image hunting and copy pasting I think moving forward we will do smaller batches of themes. Easier on all of us.

I got today off explicitly for some music listening. Lets do this, boys.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
severed-metal
moo
4,320 IQ
Thank you, friendo. Not much time to listen to a lot, but I think I've got my picks narrowed down, with myself only having to listen to a few albums. There are some really good competitors on this list, most notably on filth/house of ecstacy. Great picks everyone.
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...
3,619 IQ
I expect this to last through the month of January. In the meantime we can work out the mechanics of the game and how we want to run it. Take your time listening and voting.

I'm very pleased with the player turn out. Lets hope the same happens for voting.

Actually Red Haired Anime might be on to something as well. Might do a special batch of themes for a Tag Team battle down the road.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Hoodoo Man
LEG XX VV
10 IQ
Fukk yeah, team battles could be awesome if done right.

I've actually listened to most of the headbanging suggestions already today, because I couldn't resist.

I'm off work at the moment, so hopefully I can get through a lot of this soon, but when I go back I'll be a little slower. I can listen to music while I work but I can't really concentrate on it.
severed-metal
moo
4,320 IQ
I made initial picks and then I'm listening to albums I have yet to hear/re-listening to albums I've heard, applying the idea of the theme to the music, and then I'll edit my lists accordingly.

I've really only made a small dent with having listened to the first few in House of Ecstacy.
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...
3,619 IQ
By the end of today I should have my vote up for two categories methinks.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world
705 IQ
Starting with Final Holocaust for some reason
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

PSN: esunax
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...
3,619 IQ
I had to had Ctfod because his House of Ecstasy is one of the sole influences for the theme.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Kepulix
The Witchfinder
1,413 IQ
I commend severed for Suffer No Guilt. TGoS' Conqueror was my initial choice for the theme, but I was pessimistic enough to think that the majority of you lot wouldn't appreciate the album.

VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...
3,619 IQ
I span my Conqueror record yesterday while writing up the players submissions.

Also slightly important note, if you use an album that is incredibly hard to find/acquire, please be ready to supply eager listeners with a fix to that problem.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...
3,619 IQ
Oxbow - The Narcotic Story just blew me away
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
\Powerslave/
Steel Winged Warrior
2,722 IQ
I'm going to go through each category separately I think. I'll start off with my favorite; Headbanger's Heaven! Assuming we can't vote for ourselves, I already have an inkling on who gets my vote for that category.

Also, good choices Kepulix. I was juggling between Spectrum of Death or The Devil and The ***** for THunderstorms, but I decided to go with the D666 release since D666 is what I think of when I think of black/thrash/thunderstorms.

I was listening to Kostogher and P yesterday actually. I certainly considered it for the Nature category as well. I just went with Autumnal Wind's most prominent demo for the same reasons as above