Page 4 of 8
I didn't even consider Immortal for it. Although I have an album in mind for Femme but I can't for the life of me remember the band / album name.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
I have worthy contenders for all except Yog Sothothery. Nothing but obvious ones have gone through my mind.
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

The album I have in mind for that one is a great album in it's own right... but I'm not sure if it sonically fits the theme or not...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
good news philistines - our resident philipino man boy tranny helped me recall the album. listening to it now and its class, you guys are in for a treat.
HESSIAN HAREM
My choice for La Femme Malefica is mighty and superior. Same goes for Subzero.

Yog Sothothery on the other hand... Well, I doubt it will be a contender for the winning spot, as it's not even a metal one. But I love it too much and you all should give it a listen.

Suddenly I'm having second thoughts about Righteous Retaliation. I almost feel bad that my current choice isn't an honest heavy/speed/power metal one, but I'll have to think about it for a while. If only Eternal Champion had released a full-length...

my release for Femme is 26 minutes long, and my choice for Righteous isn't a metal album per say.

I really want to see a March of the Mellotrons field!
HESSIAN HAREM
Is there a rule on it having to be a full length that I missed? I am tempted to us a Demo for one of mine.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Demos and splits are welcome.

I feel like this particular batch of themes has a decent balance of accessibility and challenge. I may have hit the sweet spot. Thoughts on these themes?
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
I like the snow and Lovecraft one... have no ideas for the women or happiness ones.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
La Femme Malefica and Righteous Retaliation were intended to balance the scales of accessibility VS challenge, since Subzero and Yog-Sothothery were very "Metal" easy.

Now, doing any of the themes exceptionally is another thing.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
I don't tend to listen to metal for my happies, I have other genres for that. It's gonna be a hard one.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
I just sent in my choices. I like the themes, especially Righteous Retaliation as it has some room for different interpretations.

EDIT: My choice for the theme isn't happy per se, but it stands for something I perceive as "good".

Last edited by Kepulix at Feb 3, 2014,
I'm having trouble with the Lovecraft one because there are so many possibilities, but deciding which fits it best is difficult. The cold one has a similar problem, but I'm going with my gut on that.

Righteous retaliation is actually a little easier because there are fewer options but I can think of some that fit it perfectly.

The femme malefica one is really annoying me, because I can envision precisely the sort of album I would choose if I knew of it, but I don't. I basically want Red Sonja in the form of a power metal album, but I don't know of any like that. I have my fingers crossed that someone else does though.
Actually something really obvious just struck me for Righteous Retaliation... not sure how I didn't see it before.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by Kepulix
I just sent in my choices. I like the themes, especially Righteous Retaliation as it has some room for different interpretations.

EDIT: My choice for the theme isn't happy per se, but it stands for something I perceive as "good".

Your choice and your explanation for it won me over. It also has some real life implications which gets bonus points from me. I think it definitely fits.

Quote by Hoodoo Man
I'm having trouble with the Lovecraft one because there are so many possibilities, but deciding which fits it best is difficult. The cold one has a similar problem, but I'm going with my gut on that.

In a way I enjoy the "easier" themes to be somewhat bloated in that way. It makes the "easier" themes far more competitive.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
I like the themes this time around a lot better. Although the Lovecraft one is going to be tricky for me considering I haven't read a word of the literature. But I have en EP picked out that I think fits the general "outer god" theme.

I have all my picks ready except the Subzero one.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

have almost all picks ready, should be able to send them in a few hours.

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by VampireGoldfish
In a way I enjoy the "easier" themes to be somewhat bloated in that way. It makes the "easier" themes far more competitive.

That's certainly true. I like that people interpret the themes in different ways too, like the thunderstorms one.

Also, I meant to say, I want this to happen:
Quote by progbass
March of the Mellotrons

I already have an album selected if it does.
Quote by \Powerslave/
The femme theme has me utterly stumped. I just...don't know.

I am exactly the same... I might just end up posting some shitty Symphonic band just to get it done.

Actually re-reading the description I have some ideas.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Feb 3, 2014,
Quote by \Powerslave/
Can I reuse a previous selection?

Also can I still #fukk you?

No need to #fukk me unless you're a new player. All #fukking is to be done in the Your Move thread.

Quote by Kytokinesis
I like the themes this time around a lot better.

What makes this batch better then the last? Do share.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
It challenges me, to some extent anyways. I think the results will end up being more varied.

Just my two cents, not sure what Kyto's thoughts are. Unless...
I currently have eight players ready and waiting. I'll wait for a few more and most likely will get things started tomorrow night 8-9pm PST.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Virtuoso's choice for Subzero is exactly one of the albums I had in mind when making the theme and let me just say I was giggling like a hellish cherubim when he sent it.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
I still need to send mine in. I want to do it after work tomorrow. Sorry!

Actually...I'm just going to Baylife it and send my gut choices for them. I can't think of a solid one for the Femme category.
That album was the first one that came to mind for subzero! I don't think very many people will like my pick for Righteous Retaliation, and my Femme pick is odd, but they make sense to me.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
I'll like it no matter what you pick.

Except for your sub-zero category because I don't agree with popular opinion.
Quote by severed-metal
I'll like it no matter what you pick.

Except for your sub-zero category because I don't agree with popular opinion.
It's ok. Vote Powerslave 2014 in stead.

Less themes means it is far easier to listen to the albums realistically. Im excited to see everyone's choices this way. I really liked what I personally had for the righteous and cthulhu categories.
My Righteous and Femme ones are well known around these parts I'd say, but other than that I think my other two I am the only one who listens to them here.
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
Not sure how well my selections will hold up, but I feel they all fit the theme pretty well. This will be a better effort than the last round on my part. Although my Lovecraft one is kind of a long shot.

I like the themes better this time around because they feel more open ended. You've (VG) even offered various pathways within each description. And just personally these themes are more enjoyable for me to contemplate. Some of the themes in the last round were orthogonal to the ideas that generally draw me to albums. Not to any fault of the themes themselves, just gaps in my listening habits.

These album choices are sick as #fukk. I was very close to using Re-animator for my Yog piece and Crystal Logic for good guy stuff.

Also Hoodoo - Class pick with Melissa ! I love that album and it didn't even cross my mind.
HESSIAN HAREM
Melissa was a good pick. I'm not too surprised that the same Thergothon demo was picked like 7 times either. Looking forward to listening and comparing these, boys.
at all the Thergothon picks. Classy! Me and Emenius, we are in tune with one another.

Nice pick with Biosphere - Substrata by the way, was one of the albums I considered using.
Quote by progbass

Also Hoodoo - Class pick with Melissa ! I love that album and it didn't even cross my mind.

Yeah I was talking to Hoodoo earlier. "Melissa" the track never crossed my mind but it definitely works for the theme in a particular way. It excited me to be surprised by a submission, I get attached to my stupid themes and always hope for surprise successes to be submitted.

Quote by severed-metal
at all the Thergothon picks. Classy! Me and Emenius, we are in tune with one another.

This bracket was very entertaining for me to process. It was great to see some particular pieces like The White Goddess, Fhtagn-nagh Yog-Sothoth, and Crystal Logic resonate with entirely different people to such a degree as to fit into a subjective theme.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Feb 5, 2014,
Also

WE ARE FUKKING ICE!
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Probably the highlight of that album. Not the biggest fan, but I remember first hearing it and screaming WE ARE FUKKING ICE for the rest of the week at inappropriate and random intervals.

Wildchild, incredible call on Diamanda Galas - The Litanies of Satan

I cannot see a male doing that piece and for that, it kills in the theme.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Feb 5, 2014,
Everyone's picks are crazy good. I actually considered choosing Melissa but decided against it for some reason. Not sure why. Damn! But anyway I look forward to listening to all of these.

Overall wonderful submissions by each player. This will be tough to judge.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one