So, whenever I'm playing with another lead player, be it a fiddle or another guitar, it's usually incredibly difficult to hear me out front unless you're in front of my amp on the floor.

I'm running a modded Plexir reissue. It's got the David Bray Out put level knob so it's basically an attenuator inside the amp. Really cool feature.

My problem is simple. I use the amp at rhythm drive level and set the channel volume's very low. I run an Analog Man King of Tone for boosting and getting a dirtier signal if need be. The problem is I just don't cut through the mix like other players do.

Anyone else with a plexi have this issue or am I just running OD pedals incorrectly or what?

Again, my signal isn't super dirty or anything unless I engage both sides of the pedal.
Also, I run a BBE Sonic Maximizer to fatten everyone up. That's pretty much the only effect that runs full time.
Get rid of the Sonic Maximizer and replace it with an EQ. All the BBE does is boost your lows and highs - creating a mid scoop. Your mids are the single most important part of cutting through. Boost your mids with an EQ, and you'll cut through with comparative ease.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by deansizemore17
So, whenever I'm playing with another lead player, be it a fiddle or another guitar, it's usually incredibly difficult to hear me out front unless you're in front of my amp on the floor.

I'm running a modded Plexir reissue. It's got the David Bray Out put level knob so it's basically an attenuator inside the amp. Really cool feature.

My problem is simple. I use the amp at rhythm drive level and set the channel volume's very low. I run an Analog Man King of Tone for boosting and getting a dirtier signal if need be. The problem is I just don't cut through the mix like other players do.

Anyone else with a plexi have this issue or am I just running OD pedals incorrectly or what?

Again, my signal isn't super dirty or anything unless I engage both sides of the pedal.

reading, reading, everything sounds good. maybe the attenuator?

Quote by deansizemore17
Also, I run a BBE Sonic Maximizer to fatten everyone up. That's pretty much the only effect that runs full time.

oh it's this.

i left a band because the other guitarist used one of these things and wouldn't get rid of it.

now, when you say 'to fatten everyone up' do you mean you are running it with the PA? try to make sure the guitars don't go through it. it actually does alright for DJ's and premixed music or a drum kit, but it will hide guitars.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Dec 24, 2013,
Yep, get rid of the BBE, and get a TS-9 to use as a boost. I don't have a Plexi, but the Plexi mode on my JCM2000 DSL100 sound really nice, and cuts through a mix easy with my GFS Greenie (TS clone).
What type of speakers/ cab are you running through? That can have a huge impact on your sound.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate