I'm sorry for being that pain in the backside noob that keeps springing up in new threads every so often with silly questions, but there are things i'm not sure on and i don't know where else to go so you'll have to put up with me :P

I asked for advice on improving my playing ability (because i was trying to get around Sweet Child o Mine but was struggling) and was advised to learn some blues licks and start playing by ear/playing what was in my head to get used to using different techniques. But, i don't really understand :P Everything i play so far is a real song. I just play what i know. I've never just played and made something up as i go along. Well, nothing that sounds good/legit anyway. I found a pretty handy video on youtube with a bunch of licks that i should learn, and then it gives you various backing tracks to jam along to... But after learning some licks, i'm lost on just jamming. I can really only keep repeating what i've learned, i'm not sure how i start making my own stuff up and just going along with it playing whatever.

Suggestions?

Or am i just too early on in my guitar playing to be able to do this?
I'm not insane, i'm not insane.
You probably want to learn the minor pentatonic and blues pentatonic scale.

http://www.guitarhabits.com/the-5-pentatonic-scale-shapes-you-must-know/

These are the five Minor Pentatonic Scale shapes across the fretboard in the key of A.

It would take a while to memorize it all but eventually it provides the know how to improvise across the entire fret board. I'd also keep learning licks as they demonstrate how the scale can be used.
Quote by kingking22
You probably want to learn the minor pentatonic and blues pentatonic scale.

Excellent Advice...

This is the first one I learned... Play it over and over... Muscle Memory is key... then plug in a blues backing track, and play with it...

The reference Kingking gave is awesome... Learn the fret board like that, and you'll be able to play pretty much anything even remotely tied to blues.

Just Play it!!!
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Thanks both, i've spent my morning learning those scales, practicing over and over :P I'll go onto that scale now, papabear.

When you say, play it to a blues backing track, i take it you mean, just put notes together from that scale? That's the whole point here, right? To learn the scales so you know what notes can go where and with what other notes?

Thanks again, and have a good Christmas guys
I'm not insane, i'm not insane.
Quote by Zhu Xiong
When you say, play it to a blues backing track, i take it you mean, just put notes together from that scale? That's the whole point here, right? To learn the scales so you know what notes can go where and with what other notes?

Exactly... Stay within the box of notes, and switch things up.. bend some strings... experiment.. stay within the confines of the scale... at first at least.. then bring in the other scales you're learning... experiment with those... Just have fun with it.. you'll play a bunch of stuff that really stinks up the room at first.. then you'll start to figure out what fits where in the chord progression..

I dug This blues track up on Youtube and there are plenty more out there... This one's in the key of A. So, in the picture I submitted.. the 1's are positioned on the 5th fret, the 4's on the 8th fret.

Have fun..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Learn the minor pentatonic scales forwards and backwards, with your eyes closed. Once you are comfortable with them you can easily rock out within those shapes and explore further.
Zhu Xiong, like the others said, learn the major and minor pentatonic scales. Think of those as your "safe" notes that go easily with whatever is going on. Later you can add more notes and more positions, but you need to start somewhere.

You'll want to try playing along with songs that you like. I like to turn on mp3's and jam along, just overpowering the vocals and other guitars throughout the song (hey, it's OK, the mp3 won't complain!). The first task is figuring out the key of the song that you're in. After a bit, you'll find that you can slide your finger on a string and find the "right" starting note just by ear. Hopefully you can guess at this early in the song. Then try to figure out whether you want the major or minor scale and try to a fret position that "fits". Then keep jamming along with notes from your scale and have fun!

Be sure to pay attention to pauses when you start out. If you just throw streaming fast sequences of non-stop notes, it won't sound good. Try to break things up into phrases.

Lastly, learn a lot of guitar solos frpm songs like when you start out. Find solos that are within your abilities. The more you learn by practicing what other guitarists did, it will give you skills and ideas for your own playing later. Good luck!