I want to learn how to improvise this type of style. At the moment I can play scales but do not know how to mix them or add extra notes like this song. What else do I need to learn to play guitar like this? If you could tell me exactly whats going on in this song that would be grate but i understand if not.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQNUH527wuA
Soooo... you want to play guitar like Tony? Firstly... get into neo-classical and learn all 'em techniques and progressions and how melody works over them, etc etc. Then progress through releasing 14 albums of somewhat various genres (if you can't release it, at least write the 14 albums then). It also helps to have classical piano training regarding Tony... as he's a frikkin monster there too.

Next, learn timing. Then phrasing. Learn to play with a drummer like Dennis Chambers or Virgil Donati and use fills to your advantage by filling it in various speeds much like this stuff and the stuff Vinnie Colaiuta is famous for as well.

Perhaps learn some fusion too. Then get to prog. Solo like a beast, write like a beast, play like a beast. Any part of that bestiality statement will do.... pick all 3 to have a good footing. Harmonise with Steve Vai and make him look like an idiot.

I hope this recipe serves you well.
Quote by evolucian
Harmonise with Steve Vai and make him look like an idiot.

I hope this recipe serves you well.

What? I'm not even a Vai fan but I know that's not possible, haha. Seriously though this is actually a pretty good guide tbh
Really only Half-Omniscient
take your favorite songs by any artist you like, and sit down with your guitar, and figure it out.
Last edited by macashmack at Dec 29, 2013,
Quote by gui8tar
I want to learn how to improvise this type of style. At the moment I can play scales but do not know how to mix them or add extra notes like this song. What else do I need to learn to play guitar like this? If you could tell me exactly whats going on in this song that would be grate but i understand if not.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQNUH527wuA

1) that's not even improvised…. completely planned out and practiced.

2) you're not going to learn by picking the most complicated/impressive thing you can find and then asking people on the net "How do I do this". There are some things that you could do that for, like "how do I find the glitch in such in such map" in a game, but what you need to do for guitar is play it a lot, for years.

Even if someone could explain to you exactly what he's doing in that music, you'd still be left without the foundation to pull it off.
Quote by GuitarMunky
1) that's not even improvised…. completely planned out and

Yeah, you have to remember that not everything is improvised :P

I think improvisation is a little overrated in general. Things tend to sound better when you tweak them for a while instead of just playing whatever pops in your head at the moment and keeping it.